PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next New Race: Dtorv

drawingfreak
2014-12-23, 07:50 PM
This race exists within a campaign setting I am in the midst of designing. Dwarves do not exist on this world as they are classically known, but are a golem-like race of earth people. I think it is balanced well enough, though some of it needs work. I'm not sure how to implement their Mud Weakness mechanically other than informing the DM to act accordingly.

Dtorv
The dwarf does not exist on Kontorra as the are classically known. In this world, the Elemental Wyrms created a race of earthen humanoids in response to the incursion of god-made races. After the Dragon War, the failed dtorv retreated into the mountains and made a home for themselves within the stone of the world. The dtorv are often times shunned outside of their communities, being Wyrm-made. However, if you make a friend of a dtorv, you have a friend for life.

Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 2.

Age. Because a dtorv is not a biological being, they can live longer than most other creatures. They reach maturity around the same time as a human would, but can naturally reach as old as 800 years or more.

Alignment. Most dtorvs are lawful good, naturally leaning toward working within their communities to grow stronger.

Size. Dtorvs stand between 4 and 5 feet tall, but can weigh as much as 300 lbs. Your size is Medium.

Speed. Your base walking speed is 25 feet. Your speed is not reduced by wearing heavy armor.

Birthing Clay. Dtorvs are not born, but sculpted. A specially trained dtorv known as a Birther, sculpts a dtorv infant from a mixture of earth, mud, clay from the parents, and a special Birthing Clay of which many dtorv cities and villages spend the majority of their time and effort mining.

Clay Form. Dtorvs have a resistance to fire damage, but if they take an amount equal to half their hit point maximum in a single encounter, then they are slowed to half their speed and cannot take reactions. If they are reduced to zero hit points by fire damage, they are petrified.

Cold Death. While they are not resistant to cold damage as they are fire, it does have a similar reaction if they take half their hit points worth of damage. If reduced to zero, hit points by cold damage, they are paralyzed and are completely aware of their surroundings. If they fail their third death saving throw, they shatter with a 50% chance of their Heartstone shattering as well.

Cooperating Spirit. The dtorv offers a +1 when it uses the Help action to assist another creature in an attack roll, ability check, or saving throw.

Earthen Resilience. The dtorv is made of earth and clay, giving them immunities to poison damage, and the poisoned condition.

Heartsone. Each dtorv has a Heartstone within them that houses their soul. A petrified or dead dtorv has the potential to be reborn if their Heartstone is intact and the soul has not moved on to the Afterlife. This process costs as much as a Resurrection spell, and one must find a source of Birthing Clay that other dtorvs are willing to part with.

Living Homunculus. As a dtorv, you do not need to eat or drink in the same method as your organic companions. You do need to occasionally partake of dirt baths, and chew stone, but it is not as necessary to your survival.

Muddy Weakness. Dtorvs are partially made of earth and mud. As such, they are susceptible to damage from water. Dtorvs take acid damage from pure water. A light rain may be painful, but being fully submerged in water can lead to certain death.

Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Dtorv.

Roleplaying Notes. The Dtorv language sounds like a mixture of German, Russian, and an avalanche. Whilst speaking, players should aim for a gruff version of either real world language.

I have a blogpost HERE (http://tablefiction.wordpress.com/2014/06/03/the-dtorv-origins-physiology-and-birth/) with more details about the Dtorv, though I think I hit all the major points in the above spoiler.

ReturnOfTheKing
2014-12-24, 04:38 PM
Neat concept! I could see myself playing one :smallbiggrin:

How about they take disadvantage to any roll made while exposed to or submerged in water? Additionally, perhaps there could be sub-races similar to the Mountain and Hill Dwarves? For instance, there could be Clay Dtorv and Stone Dtorv. (How do you say Dtorv in plural? Actually, how do you say Dtorv period?)

Also, I'm assuming the Dtorv language is basically refluffed Dwarvish in your world?

drawingfreak
2014-12-25, 05:28 PM
The way I attempt to pronounce it is by sneaking the "t" sound in between the d and the o. The plural for dtorv is still dtorv.

As for the multiple sub-races, I currently have them in the fiction as a single type, though I have plans for a special sub-race called Titans that might need to be statted as its own unique race. They are essentially specially crafted dtorv that are massive in size with typically more than one heartstone.

I like the disadvantage idea, but instead of inflicting damage as I had originally planned, perhaps I give them levels of exhaustion per round? Disadvantage in heavy rain, exhaustion when submerged or in extremely heavy rain?

Xuc Xac
2014-12-25, 11:29 PM
The consonant sounds for /d/ and /t/ have the same point of articulation. You can't pronounce them consecutively without a vowel of some kind between them. That's why you can say "fined" like "find" but the "-ed" in "fated" or "ended" become separate syllables.

ReturnOfTheKing
2014-12-26, 12:59 PM
The consonant sounds for /d/ and /t/ have the same point of articulation. You can't pronounce them consecutively without a vowel of some kind between them. That's why you can say "fined" like "find" but the "-ed" in "fated" or "ended" become separate syllables.

…what he said.

I like the weakness system, though I wonder if there might be a simpler way to represent it.