PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Reducing XP awards for using summoned help [Idea]

gooddragon1
2014-12-24, 05:37 AM
Part of what makes the druid such a presence is their ability to summon up help and use their animal companion in combat. Even a lower level druid can take on higher level encounters with the help of summons. I got this idea from a thread about an effigy of a hydra ruining a game. What if characters who relied on outside help in combats got reduced XP for doing so? I'd say that it should go animal companions reduce XP the least, summons next, then everything else third. Would make leadership less appealing perhaps. Perhaps not very large XP penalties, but something? Just a thought.

Spiryt
2014-12-24, 05:39 AM
That could be in general an interesting way to bring full casters down a bit, but I feel (fear) that it would be quite of bookkeeping nightmare.

Who, when and how should receive reduced XP for encounter etc.

gooddragon1
2014-12-24, 05:52 AM
That could be in general an interesting way to bring full casters down a bit, but I feel (fear) that it would be quite of bookkeeping nightmare.

Who, when and how should receive reduced XP for encounter etc.

Not sure how it would be implemented, but for example

Animal Companions = -5% XP
Summons = -10% XP
Other Stuff = -15% XP

Doesn't matter how many summons, animal companions, or other stuff that they use in the combat so long as they use at least one. Feels like the 2e XP differential for classes to me.

Svata
2014-12-24, 06:10 AM
So, they'd be penalized for using their class features to make things "too easy". Does the wizard get a penalty for using Black Tentacles or Solid Fog? What about the PsyWar or Fighter for using a spiked chain, Combat Reflexes, and Stand Still? The Rogue using Sneak Attack? The Bard Dragonfire Inspiring, and regular IC'ing at the same time with PrCs, +14 to hit and +14+14d6 to damage to all his allies?

gooddragon1
2014-12-24, 06:34 AM
So, they'd be penalized for using their class features to make things "too easy". Does the wizard get a penalty for using Black Tentacles or Solid Fog? What about the PsyWar or Fighter for using a spiked chain, Combat Reflexes, and Stand Still? The Rogue using Sneak Attack? The Bard Dragonfire Inspiring, and regular IC'ing at the same time with PrCs, +14 to hit and +14+14d6 to damage to all his allies?

Yes, no, no, no, no. Black tentacles and solid fog allow the party to deal the damage. Summons replace characters in the combat. You'll note it's not a huge XP penalty though depending on how much it is voluntary. It is also an option for a DM to implement it or not or even a partial implementation. Just an idea.

Svata
2014-12-24, 06:44 AM
Sure, its not huge, I'll give that. It's still annoying that if I wanna make a summoner-type character, I get docked xp for it.

I think, if this were to be implemented, you would have to award xp for summons the party defeats. Not ones that pop upon their summoner dying, but ones they genuinely kill. Currently, that's not the case.