PDA

View Full Version : Preventing Theft

Gale
2014-12-24, 04:33 PM
I have a simple question: What can be done to avoid having your possessions from gold to magic items being stolen? I'm more specifically referring to NPCs like pickpockets rather than other players. I tend to have bad luck with them in campaigns whenever I play a character without the Spot skill.

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-24, 04:42 PM
If the DM wants to take loot away from you via "theft", the DM will take loot away from you via "theft". It's a plot device and nothing more, so there's no way around it.

A Handy Haversack or the like can help, though.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-12-24, 04:51 PM
Cast Fire Trap on any pockets, bags, etc. you have. It won't kill any but the weakest of thieves but the explosion will certainly tell you that somebody is trying to open something he's not supposed to. It also won't damage the container in question, which is a bonus.

StoneCipher
2014-12-24, 04:55 PM
Or you could attach a Shrunken Shrieker (Complete Scoundrel) to your important possessions.

Gale
2014-12-24, 05:00 PM
If the DM wants to take loot away from you via "theft", the DM will take loot away from you via "theft". It's a plot device and nothing more, so there's no way around it.

A Handy Haversack or the like can help, though.

Can't a Handy Haversack still be looted from? I mean it's essentially the same as any other bag. Anyone can reach inside and grab something out of it with Sleight of Hand right?

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-24, 05:20 PM
Can't a Handy Haversack still be looted from? I mean it's essentially the same as any other bag. Anyone can reach inside and grab something out of it with Sleight of Hand right?

Better than just a belt pouch, at least.

Jowgen
2014-12-24, 10:14 PM
I believe the general recommended solution on this forum is the Hoard Gullet spell from Dragon Magic.

Gale
2014-12-24, 11:24 PM
Aw man, I never heard of Hoard Gullet. It's gross, but awesome. I'll definitely keep that one in mind.

RenaldoS
2014-12-24, 11:58 PM
Well, there’s what people in real life do and that is not carry your entire life’s savings on your person at all times. Put your wealth in a bank or ask a powerful individual to guard your wealth for you. If you’re aligned with some group or faction, they should be able to provide this as a service. Convert gold pieces into small, but valuable items like gems and carry those on a pouch underneath your armor and clothes.

Renen
2014-12-25, 12:06 AM
I believe the general recommended solution on this forum is the Hoard Gullet spell from Dragon Magic.

Damn. Some 1 already mentioned it. This spell is awesome. Similarly, there's a psion ACF that does similar stuff.

atemu1234
2014-12-25, 01:38 AM
Damn. Some 1 already mentioned it. This spell is awesome. Similarly, there's a psion ACF that does similar stuff.

Also, gotta love vomiting up a skeleton.

Jeff the Green
2014-12-25, 04:24 AM
A low-level option is dragoneye rune (DrM). As arcane mark (so permanent and, at your discretion, invisible), except it can be cast on people, the target is always "familiar" for scrying purposes, and you can sense direction and distance to them twice a day.