PDA

View Full Version : Tsunami 2004

FinnLassie
2014-12-24, 05:24 PM
So... I think most of us remembers what happened on the 26th of December, 2004.

It's started to bother me a lot lately, and thought it would be nice to discuss the events with other people to get some closure.

I was lucky that none of my friends were lost in the tsunami, but a friend of mine was on one of the last planes to leave Bangkok before what happened. An acquaintance of mine lost their brother and father. My mother had an extremely tough time as she had to be there to give crisis support to families, friends, everyone, and had to give a speech at the school - one of the pupils had lost their entire family apart from their mother, who couldn't join the trip. All three siblings and dad, gone. Constantly faces were being published on the tabloids to show faces of the survivors and those who died, especially a very popular Finnish musician and his whole family. It was the first time I realised how real death is, and it was a tough thing to process as a shy 12-year-old who didn't feel like talking to anyone.

What do you remember from the day? Where were you when you heard the news? How did it affect your life?

Aolbain
2014-12-26, 04:27 AM
I remember watching the first swedish news in my grandparents guestroom (infact, the same room I'm in now). I didn't knew anyone afected but I think the waves shook sweden to the core, and really sobered up the remaning holidays.

Asta Kask
2014-12-26, 04:38 AM
{scrubbed}

FinnLassie
2014-12-26, 06:05 AM
{scrubbed}

Asta Kask
2014-12-26, 08:06 AM
Sorry. I'm not in a good place right now.

RdMarquis
2014-12-26, 06:58 PM
I remember the news reports, and the adults of the family talking about what happened. They didn't really speak about it with me or my cousins. We were all pretty young at the time, too, and I guess no one wanted us to worry. My aunt asked everyone to donate to the relief effort, and I did what I could.

Knaight
2014-12-27, 12:57 AM
I was in Thailand, but nowhere near the coast - I didn't even feel the earthquake, though other people who were awake at the time did. I did see the results afterwards, and still clearly remember it.