PDA

View Full Version : Bardic Warlord? (3.PoW)

PraxisVetli
2014-12-24, 07:11 PM
Hey guys!
Firstly, happy holidays!
But.
I want to play Path of War's Warlord, and combine it with the Harbinger Bard variant from one of the Dragon mags.
Is there a way to pull off both? Or do I have to choose between them?
If I must choose, I can go just Warlord since Black Seraph can do a lot of the penalty inducing I want, so that's fine.
I was just hoping I could nab both.

Or.
Is there something that I could trade out, trade something Bardic for maneuvers or vice versa?
A homebrew ACF that seems balanced?
I've a fairly fair-minded DM.

DarkSonic1337
2014-12-24, 09:12 PM
Ask your DM if you could simply modify the "Song of the White Raven" feat apply to your warlord levels and apply to whatever you traded inspire courage for. Call it "Gospel of the Golden Lion" or something.

PraxisVetli
2014-12-24, 10:39 PM
Ask your DM if you could simply modify the "Song of the White Raven" feat apply to your warlord levels and apply to whatever you traded inspire courage for. Call it "Gospel of the Golden Lion" or something.

Oh, aye.
We've a houserule that lets you choose your disciplines, I was going to get White Raven.
Unfortunately, it only advances Inspire Courage.

PraxisVetli
2014-12-24, 11:30 PM
Is trading Bard casting worth maneuvers?
Bards only get 6ths, but maneuvers go to 9, though generally casting is superior, right?
Does that even out?
Then I'd just have to find a way to deal with the BAB.

Optimator
2014-12-24, 11:48 PM
Is trading Bard casting worth maneuvers?
Bards only get 6ths, but maneuvers go to 9, though generally casting is superior, right?
Does that even out?
Then I'd just have to find a way to deal with the BAB.

I can't speak to PF Bards but 3.5 Bards get some decent gish options for spells (War Cry, Snowsong, Greater Mirror Image, Greater Heroics, Blade Weave, Dolorous Blow, Whirling Blade, Improvisation, Empyreal Ecstasy, etc). Not a ton of castings a day but pearls of power can help with that. I made a DFI BardBlade that was more Bard-heavy than Warblade-heavy for the spells--it made sense because my strength was so high that doing full attacks with sonic DFI, IC, and a Crystal Echoblade was far better than strikes. Not a common situation but it's real. In general I would assume the maneuvers would be more useful.

PraxisVetli
2014-12-24, 11:57 PM
I can't speak to PF Bards but 3.5 Bards get some decent gish options for spells (War Cry, Snowsong, Greater Mirror Image, Greater Heroics, Blade Weave, Dolorous Blow, Whirling Blade, Improvisation, Empyreal Ecstasy, etc). Not a ton of castings a day but pearls of power can help with that. I made a DFI BardBlade that was more Bard-heavy than Warblade-heavy for the spells--it made sense because my strength was so high that doing full attacks with sonic DFI, IC, and a Crystal Echoblade was far better than strikes. Not a common situation but it's real. In general I would assume the maneuvers would be more useful.
I'm so sorry, I'm mildly inebriated.
So.
Was that yes?

Optimator
2014-12-25, 12:56 AM
Sort of? I'm unfamiliar with Path of War and PF Bard spells (I have to assume they're better in 3.5--ostensibly you have access to both?) but assume in general Maneuvers will serve you better in combat than a paltry amount of Bard spells, but situations may vary so the spells can have their place. If it were wizard or cleric casting then the spells would be much more competitive.

Taveena
2014-12-25, 09:34 PM
Might be worth asking your DM if Song of the White Raven can be altered to work with Golden Lion and Warder/Warlord.

PraxisVetli
2014-12-27, 03:22 PM
Might be worth asking your DM if Song of the White Raven can be altered to work with Golden Lion and Warder/Warlord.

Yeah, we've a housrule that lets us choose our disciplines, so I could just take White Raven.
The problem is it only advances Inspire Courage.

I've been looking at the new disciplines in PoW, however, and Black Seraph seems like it can do a lot of what I want.
Possibly coupling it with Broken Blade.