PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Looking to Build a Magic Archer

Shou
2014-12-24, 07:44 PM
I'm starting a new campaign with mostly players who haven't played before. Only the GM and I have played before, so I'm looking to use this opportunity to build some kind of magic archer since archers are usually outclassed by casters so hard when playing with experienced players.

I've been looking at the myrmidarch archetype of magus and ranged spell strike with snowball looks to be a pretty nasty debuffing damage spell with magic lineage and rime spell. But looking at it I give up a lot of what the magus can do to be a full archer, most notably the spell combat. I've looked at going straight fighter archer, but I really like casting my spells and the fighter can only pump out damage at range while the magus can inflict some brutal statuses. Is there any better option? I'm hoping to provide support through status and deal good damage from long distances. The gm is running a homebrew campaign with a lot of open world combat and exploration type stuff, so I thought it would be cool to build a back row sniper who can just out shoot everything. I'm lost as to where to go with a myrmidarch magus because it doesn't look like I can do anything with most of the magus class features. Any ideas?

We're starting at level 5 and probably ending around 10 with 25 point buy and standard wealth per level.

The Insanity
2014-12-25, 12:53 PM
I'd recommend going Arcane Archer as soon as possible. It should be exactly what you're asking for.

Dezea
2014-12-25, 01:08 PM
I'd recommend going Arcane Archer as soon as possible. It should be exactly what you're asking for.

Not that much sadly... If they go only to 10 level, the entry requirement makes it a poor choice. Having 6 bab would force him to go Wiz 1/Ranger-Fighter-Pala6/AA3, instead of a more wizard focused entry. By level 10 you would only have 3 CL, wich is prolly not what you are looking for.

Furthermore, the gameplay you describe would be really fitting for a Bard Archer. Check them up, they can be incredibly versatile, solid caster and really powerful archer. (At level 9, with haste, good hope, your bard music, arcane strike, deadly aim, rapid shot and manyshot, even with a low strenght you are looking at something like 5 attack at +11 damage.

And, Bard is overall full of fun and flavor. I'm pretty sure you'll love them.

Snowbluff
2014-12-25, 01:10 PM
You rang? :smalltongue:

Here's the deal: Abundant Ammunition + (Greater) Named Bullet. That's the long and the short of it. Honestly, Magus isn't ideal for ranged combat, and Ranged Spellstrike doesn't work correctly. So Cleric or Wizard1/Fighter1/AA2/Eldritch Knight if you want a better selection of debuffs and better BAB.

Dezea
2014-12-25, 01:37 PM

Here's the deal: Abundant Ammunition + (Greater) Named Bullet. That's the long and the short of it. Honestly, Magus isn't ideal for ranged combat, and Ranged Spellstrike doesn't work correctly. So Cleric or Wizard1/Fighter1/AA2/Eldritch Knight if you want a better selection of debuffs and better BAB.

AA require 6 BBA, sadly. So there is no lvl 3 entry : o

Going Wiz3/fighter1/Eldricht 4/ AA 2 is prolly the fastest and most optimized way into it (At least, in a no-cheedar way). But I still wouldn't do it in a 5-10 game. You got 9 bab and 7 CL, vs a 7 BAB 10 CL with improved utility on a bard. (And let's face it, going the AA way will makes you feel quite behind because of the CL loses, it really shine in game where you level up a bit more.

Taveena
2014-12-25, 02:08 PM
If Dreamscarred Press is allowed, you could do something like Wizard 6/Hawkguard 1/Bladecaster 10 for a fun combination of archery maneuvers and potent spellcasting. (Alternatively, Sorceror 6/Warlord 1 etc.)

Snowbluff
2014-12-25, 02:13 PM
AA require 6 BBA, sadly. So there is no lvl 3 entry : o

Oh sorry switch AA and EK. Mea culpa. The diviner that gets a third level SLA is for EK entry, because Named Bullets are divinations, and divinations are just good when you're not sure what to do.

Aetolus
2014-12-25, 02:58 PM
Try Mystic Ranger with Sword of the Arcane Order.

It's one class plus one feat that just scales nicely and plays easily.

MilesTiden
2014-12-25, 04:17 PM
Yes but this is a pathfinder thread, thus, I'm assuming neither of those are going to be in play. :smalltongue:

Snowbluff
2014-12-25, 07:31 PM
Yes but this is a pathfinder thread, thus, I'm assuming neither of those are going to be in play. :smalltongue:

Yeah, I had to use context clues to figure that one out. As a general tip, tag your threads correctly.

Shou
2014-12-25, 07:39 PM
We're keeping this game short because of all the new players.

Not that much sadly... If they go only to 10 level, the entry requirement makes it a poor choice. Having 6 bab would force him to go Wiz 1/Ranger-Fighter-Pala6/AA3, instead of a more wizard focused entry. By level 10 you would only have 3 CL, wich is prolly not what you are looking for.

Furthermore, the gameplay you describe would be really fitting for a Bard Archer. Check them up, they can be incredibly versatile, solid caster and really powerful archer. (At level 9, with haste, good hope, your bard music, arcane strike, deadly aim, rapid shot and manyshot, even with a low strenght you are looking at something like 5 attack at +11 damage.

And, Bard is overall full of fun and flavor. I'm pretty sure you'll love them.
Bard can be fun, but it seems as if it wouldn't be much different from a normal caster with bow training. Self buffs keep damage high which is pretty cool. I just kinda want to stay away from a charisma character since the way it always goes is that they get pressured into all the role play situations and usually stand in front when the fight breaks out.

What about ranged spell-strike is broken? I only noticed that it didn't work with spell combat which royally sucks.
For that build, wouldn't I have to be Fighter1/Wizard5/Eldritch Knight since the Eldritch Knight requires the ability to cast 3rd level spells? Eldritch is cool for this since it can pull a normal fighter type archer with magics. Those spells are pretty cool looking too.

It really seems like Arcane Archer is unachievable in the level space I'll be playing in.

Snowbluff
2014-12-25, 09:08 PM
No spell combat is a serious problem. Your damage output will suffer to a ridiculous degree doing only 1 attack. Your debuffing will suffer because you will not be making a touch attack with snowball.

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-25, 09:24 PM
If you want a magic archer, why not a Paladin, Ranger, or Inquisitor? They can do the job pretty darn reliably without resorting to GNB, and can pick up some fun stuff on the side.

Dezea
2014-12-25, 09:44 PM
We're keeping this game short because of all the new players.

Bard can be fun, but it seems as if it wouldn't be much different from a normal caster with bow training. Self buffs keep damage high which is pretty cool. I just kinda want to stay away from a charisma character since the way it always goes is that they get pressured into all the role play situations and usually stand in front when the fight breaks out.

What about ranged spell-strike is broken? I only noticed that it didn't work with spell combat which royally sucks.
For that build, wouldn't I have to be Fighter1/Wizard5/Eldritch Knight since the Eldritch Knight requires the ability to cast 3rd level spells? Eldritch is cool for this since it can pull a normal fighter type archer with magics. Those spells are pretty cool looking too.

It really seems like Arcane Archer is unachievable in the level space I'll be playing in.

Well, to be fair, you can also be Grumpy McGrump, Bard Archer Extraordinaire, with 20 charisma related to his incredible aura of ... Uh. Confidence ? And still not say a word during the whole campaign. And I shall add that bard do feel really different from a full caster. You are in medium bab, wear an armor, got crazy high acrobatics checks and YOU ARE SINGING §§§§

And you got Whip profiency. That got to count for something ; D

But seriously, if you never tried it, you should maybe give it a look. It does hold the advantage of being strong, fun and not-needing any kind of cheedar. And I'm also pretty sure you would be either superior or at least on par with any Multiclassed non-entry-cheesed archer.

Well, anyway, have fun ! : o

(And by the way, I wasn't thinking about it, but a Hunter with the divine archetype can also spew out some serious pewpew, while having 6 spells level and a "Stronger-Than-A-Druid" familliar.
Wich, some would say, can be an addition kinda better than a whip. Maybe.

Shou
2014-12-25, 10:49 PM
If you want a magic archer, why not a Paladin, Ranger, or Inquisitor? They can do the job pretty darn reliably without resorting to GNB, and can pick up some fun stuff on the side.

Paladin - I played a Paladin once. It was great. The oaths suck though.
Inquisitor - I hadn't thought of this. It could work, but the inquisitor flavor isn't really my cup of tea and I don't think it will fit well in my GM's campaign.
Hunter - I feel so stupid for not even looking at the hybrid classes now. The flavor of that class with the divine archetype is awesome too.

Well, to be fair, you can also be Grumpy McGrump, Bard Archer Extraordinaire, with 20 charisma related to his incredible aura of ... Uh. Confidence ? And still not say a word during the whole campaign. And I shall add that bard do feel really different from a full caster. You are in medium bab, wear an armor, got crazy high acrobatics checks and YOU ARE SINGING §§§§

And you got Whip profiency. That got to count for something ; D

But seriously, if you never tried it, you should maybe give it a look. It does hold the advantage of being strong, fun and not-needing any kind of cheedar. And I'm also pretty sure you would be either superior or at least on par with any Multiclassed non-entry-cheesed archer.

Well, anyway, have fun ! : o

(And by the way, I wasn't thinking about it, but a Hunter with the divine archetype can also spew out some serious pewpew, while having 6 spells level and a "Stronger-Than-A-Druid" familliar.
Wich, some would say, can be an addition kinda better than a whip. Maybe.
I did a dervish bard once. It had some serious slice and dice power. I learned that singing and dancing is not my thing. Bard is an awesome class though.

I'm gonna look into hunter more. Animal companions aren't really my thing but the class looks interesting. I'm starting to dig the feel of a falcon companion on the divine archetype.