PDA

View Full Version : what do you think this is worth?

Kahlendrrari
2014-12-24, 08:37 PM
I have had this idea bouncing around in my head for a while, but I'm a little confused by the item creation costs.

Magic stick:
5/day – dispel magic; caster level 5th (3rd level)
3/day – greater dispelling; caster level 11th (6th level)
1/day – spell turning; caster level 13th (7th level)
1/week – Mordenkainen’s Disjunction, caster level 17th; Ceases to function for 24 hours after (9th level) ?????

There are no command words for any of the abilities.

Can store up to 10 spell levels to be used to modify a cast spell with a known meta-magic feat. The magic stick cannot use more than 3 spell levels at a time, and no more than 2 meta-magic feats on a single spell. For example, magic stick could be used to still and silence a spell for 2 spell levels, or maximize a spell for 3 levels, but couldn't quicken a spell (+4 spell level adjustment), or apply 3 (+1) meta-magic adjustments to a spell. Magic stick doesn't increase the casting time of the spell for spontaneous casters.

Magic stick can be recharged by dispelling magical effects, or counterspelling. Dispelled effects recharge the stick at a rate of 1 spell level per 3 spell levels dispelled, or 1 spell level per spell level countered. (more of a magical absorption effect.)

The magic stick lets wielder know how many spell levels are stored.

Magic stick can be broken in a retributive strike to release all stored spell levels creating a permanent dead magic zone with a diameter of 1 ft for each stored spell level released. If sundered by an attack, magic stick releases all stored spell levels as if it were a retributive strike.

fishyfishyfishy
2014-12-24, 09:02 PM
I have had this idea bouncing around in my head for a while, but I'm a little confused by the item creation costs.

Magic stick:
5/day – dispel magic; caster level 5th (3rd level)
3/day – greater dispelling; caster level 11th (6th level)
1/day – spell turning; caster level 13th (7th level)
1/week – Mordenkainen’s Disjunction, caster level 17th; Ceases to function for 24 hours after (9th level) ?????

There are no command words for any of the abilities.

Can store up to 10 spell levels to be used to modify a cast spell with a known meta-magic feat. The magic stick cannot use more than 3 spell levels at a time, and no more than 2 meta-magic feats on a single spell. For example, magic stick could be used to still and silence a spell for 2 spell levels, or maximize a spell for 3 levels, but couldn't quicken a spell (+4 spell level adjustment), or apply 3 (+1) meta-magic adjustments to a spell. Magic stick doesn't increase the casting time of the spell for spontaneous casters.

Magic stick can be recharged by dispelling magical effects, or counterspelling. Dispelled effects recharge the stick at a rate of 1 spell level per 3 spell levels dispelled, or 1 spell level per spell level countered. (more of a magical absorption effect.)

The magic stick lets wielder know how many spell levels are stored.

Magic stick can be broken in a retributive strike to release all stored spell levels creating a permanent dead magic zone with a diameter of 1 ft for each stored spell level released. If sundered by an attack, magic stick releases all stored spell levels as if it were a retributive strike.

That is ridiculously powerful. I would not give it a price. Instead I would call it a major artifact and write up a backstory of its creation by an epic Abjurer long dead.

Kahlendrrari
2014-12-24, 09:57 PM
It wouldn't be an item created all at once, more like something to build as the character levels, (a legacy item, or some kind of item familiar type thing) culminating in the stats I posted.

Description: The magic stick is somewhere between staff and cane. Kind of like a walking stick about 5 ft long, and about an inch and a half in diameter at the top, gently tapering down to about 3/4 of an inch at the bottom. Made out of darkwood, with each end capped in mithral. There are no markings on it, and it has the feel of porcelain that wasn't glazed. The wood itself is stained a dark, charred brown, with the grain showing almost black. The finish is a non-gloss matte.

The creator, isn't an abjurer, but a domain wizard, with the anti-magic domain.

One of the other features I didn't list was, that the magic stick doesn't show up as a magic item when detect magic is cast. It just appears to be a well crafted walking stick.

All together the magic stick functions kind of like a rod of absorption, an open typed meta-magic rod, and a runestaff, albeit with greater powers.

I figured if a mid-to-high level mage has been carrying around a stick for the greater part of their career, it would eventually be imbued with some type of magic.

Otherwise the magic stick functions as a wooden club, of note however, is that the disjunction ability can be made during an attack, effectively disjoining items the target is carrying. While it's abilities are suppressed for the 24 hours after using the disjuntion ability, the magic stick is a masterwork darkwood club.

GreatDane
2014-12-25, 10:34 AM
I'm gonna agree with fishyfishyfishy; putting a price on that would be more of a thought exercise than a practical way to measure its abilities. If you're looking to price it as part of a PC's WBL, the PC won't gain access to all of its abilities until an inordinately high level. If you're trying to price it for the sake of estimating the party's ability to handle encounters, I'd just wing it, with emphasis on treating their ability to deal with magically empowered foes as way, way above their level.