PDA

View Full Version : DM Help How Does Resistance work?

The Shadowdove
2014-12-24, 10:14 PM
I keep seeing "resistance" pop up in the player hand book when speaking of different actions/forms of damage.

I'm assuming this is somewhat like either "spell resistance" or "Energy Resistance" in earlier versions...

For example, paladins from the "Oath of the Ancients" archetype gain the ability "aura of Warding" at level 7.

This provides Resistance vs Spells.

Would you mind clarifying how this works please?

Thank you in advance forum people. Your knowledge saves me lots of skepticism over google searches.

-dove

SharkForce
2014-12-24, 10:21 PM
generally speaking half damage.

in some cases, it also means advantage on saving throws against, but i believe those are all specifically called out.

Jeraa
2014-12-24, 10:34 PM
Players Handbook, page 197.

lf a creature or an object has resistance to a damage type, damage of that type is halved against it. If a creature or an object has vulnerability to a damage type, damage of that type is doubled against it.

So in the case of the Aura of Warding (resistance to spell damage), you take half damage from all spells.

NeoSeraphi
2014-12-24, 10:35 PM
Energy resistance, spell resistance, and damage reduction have all been lumped together into one passive ability called Resistance, which is pretty awesome.

Resistance halves the damage you take from whatever you are resistant to. It also doesn't have that confusing language Damage Reduction had, where DR reduced the damage of everything except what was listed in the description.

If you are a tiefling, for example, you have resistance to fire. So whenever you take fire damage, you take half as much as you normally would.

Here's an example. Let's say I'm a tiefling fighter and I get targeted by a level 3 fireball spell. I would normally take 8d6 damage, but instead my resistance automatically kicks in with no action or reaction necessary (except for the Nature cleric, but that's different) and I take half as much damage as I rolled.

Daishain
2014-12-24, 10:47 PM
For example, paladins from the "Oath of the Ancients" archetype gain the ability "aura of Warding" at level 7.

This provides Resistance vs Spells.

What the others said.

Also, to clarify concerning the aura of warding, it provides resistance vs the damage done by various spells. It does absolutely nothing if hit by, for instance, Sleep. Still an incredible ability.

Inevitability
2014-12-25, 02:14 AM
Example.

Richard the Glorious, Paladin of the Ancients is fighting an evil wizard. Said evil wizard first casts Fireball, but Richard only takes half damage. Then, the wizard casts Levitate, trying to immobilize Richard. Richard curses WOTC for not making Constitution one of his proficient saves, then flies up in the air, having suffered the full effects of the spell.

odigity
2014-12-25, 02:29 AM
Here's an example. Let's say I'm a tiefling fighter and I get targeted by a level 3 fireball spell. I would normally take 8d6 damage, but instead my resistance automatically kicks in with no action or reaction necessary (except for the Nature cleric, but that's different) and I take half as much damage as I rolled.

Yes, and one more thing worth noting: Resistance is the last thing applied to the damage calculation, so if you made your Dex save on the fireball, you'd take half damage, and then it would be halved again because of your resistance. So a Tiefling Rogue with high Dex and Evasion can often stand in a fireball and be fine. (or if you get the Shield Master feat...)

NeoSeraphi
2014-12-25, 01:51 PM
Example.

Richard the Glorious, Paladin of the Ancients is fighting an evil wizard. Said evil wizard first casts Fireball, but Richard only takes half damage. Then, the wizard casts Levitate, trying to immobilize Richard. Richard curses WOTC for not making Constitution one of his proficient saves, then flies up in the air, having suffered the full effects of the spell.

But Richard the Glorious, Paladin of the Ancients is adding his Charisma bonus to his saving throws, including Constitution! That should be higher than a proficiency bonus at that level, since the proficiency bonus is only +3 and Charisma is his casting score.

Inevitability
2014-12-26, 06:30 AM
But Richard the Glorious, Paladin of the Ancients is adding his Charisma bonus to his saving throws, including Constitution! That should be higher than a proficiency bonus at that level, since the proficiency bonus is only +3 and Charisma is his casting score.

Don't tell anyone, but Richard has only 4 constitution... The DM told his player they were rolling stats and playing diplomatic campaign, so hey, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

NeoSeraphi
2014-12-26, 02:02 PM
Don't tell anyone, but Richard has only 4 constitution... The DM told his player they were rolling stats and playing diplomatic campaign, so hey, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

He really needed to put that 10 in Int and Dex instead. *nods*