PDA

View Full Version : Character Tree Variant in DMG

mr_odd
2014-12-25, 12:17 AM
Hey guys, someone had said that the DMG has a version of the character tree as a variant. I've been looking, but I can't seem to find it. Does anyone know the page number?

FadeAssassin
2014-12-25, 01:06 AM
What exactly do you mean by character tree?

MeeposFire
2014-12-25, 01:34 AM
What exactly do you mean by character tree?

Last time I have seen one was back in 2e Dark Sun where you would have several characters created beforehand and essentially all your characters existed and leveled up as you played with one (though I do not think that the unused characters leveled at the same rate). This way if one character died (fairly common in DS) you could bring an already made character with a back story that was reasonably near the same level as the other players.

Scarlet Dragon
2014-12-25, 03:06 AM
Here (http://community.wizards.com/forum/mess-hall/threads/1943671) is a link to a description of how character trees work.

As to the OP's question I have found the reference in the DMG it is on page 236 under the title of Small Groups, though if the linked description above suits your needs better you could quite easily adapt it.

EDIT I found the reference in the DMG

mr_odd
2014-12-25, 10:38 AM
Here (http://community.wizards.com/forum/mess-hall/threads/1943671) is a link to a description of how character trees work.

As to the OP's question I have found the reference in the DMG it is on page 236 under the title of Small Groups, though if the linked description above suits your needs better you could quite easily adapt it.

EDIT I found the reference in the DMG

Ahh, that's it. Thank you!

mephnick
2014-12-25, 12:20 PM
It'd be hard for me to get attached to a character if I had a stable of 4 to choose from on any given day. Seems like a concept more fitted to video games.

Of course generating characters is fun, so who knows.

Scarlet Dragon
2014-12-25, 02:48 PM
It does allow more chance for roleplaying and influencing world events for characters and if the campaign is meant to be hard enough that survival is a very real threat it drastically shortens the time needed to rejoin play.

mr_odd
2014-12-25, 05:23 PM
It'd be hard for me to get attached to a character if I had a stable of 4 to choose from on any given day. Seems like a concept more fitted to video games.

Of course generating characters is fun, so who knows.

It does allow more chance for roleplaying and influencing world events for characters and if the campaign is meant to be hard enough that survival is a very real threat it drastically shortens the time needed to rejoin play.

I'm using a form of this for my campaign next semester. I don't expect players to constantly switch. Rather, players will have the option to switch if they get tired, or if a character dies (resurrections are not nearly as easy as normal), then they will have another character ready to go.