PDA

View Full Version : Can I choose spells I just learned for spell mastery?

magicalmagicman
2014-12-25, 01:03 AM
I wish to take spell mastery.

At level 9 I wish to master 2 level 5 spells.
At level 15 I wish to master 2 level 8 spells.

Can I do this?

atemu1234
2014-12-25, 01:15 AM
Yes, if you can access them when taking the feat, you gain them for the purposes of the feat, provided you selected them.

magicalmagicman
2014-12-25, 01:27 AM
Yes, if you can access them when taking the feat, you gain them for the purposes of the feat, provided you selected them.

I gain access to those spells on level up, which is the same time I gain the feat, so I am not sure whether I can access those newly acquired 2 spells when I take the feat.

PHB describes the level up process:
7. Feats
8. Spells

But it doesn't say you have to do them in order.

Jeraa
2014-12-25, 01:29 AM
I gain access to those spells on level up, which is the same time I gain the feat, so I am not sure whether I can access those newly acquired 2 spells when I take the feat.

PHB describes the level up process:
7. Feats
8. Spells

But it doesn't say you have to do them in order.

Numbering the steps does kind of imply that. Though I've never seen a DM that followed those rules that closely.

RoboEmperor
2014-12-25, 02:05 AM
Fluff wise, you master spells you use study insanely. How can you master a spell you just learned?

Counter argument: You are researching spells constantly in your travels, and when you finally attain the spell, you know everything about it, and can even teach others it. Spell mastery just says you were more fanatical with that spell than the others.

Krobar
2014-12-25, 10:25 AM
As DM in my group I would say yes, you can do that.

DrMotives
2014-12-25, 01:16 PM
I've always thought the rules for applying benefits of leveling up including feats, skills, class features etc was to allow players to apply them in whatever order is most beneficial. There's no reason to punish players by saying you have to stick the prescribed order. It's a minor enough thing most of the time anyway.

magicalmagicman
2014-12-25, 05:50 PM
Sweet, so far it seems unanimous that you can.

sideswipe
2014-12-25, 06:05 PM
to back the yes you can......

a wizard is not restricted from learning spells he cannot cast by scribing into your book. at level 1 you can scribe 9ths as long as you can make the spellcraft check.

so you could learn it at any level and then be studying it profusely in your downtime. when you take spell mastery you take it for any spell you can cast. so yes it makes total sense to do that.

and backing up the whole thing about learning it as you take the feat.... like they said, its assumed you are practising and researching for a long time and are a master of it by the time you scribe it (for free!) so it still makes sense.

and anyway, wizards are so underpowered they need some nice things.

RoboEmperor
2014-12-25, 07:35 PM
Also, you can master any spell in your spell book.

choose a number of spells equal to your Intelligence modifier that you already know

According to the back of the DMG manual, any spell in your spell book is a known spell for wizard. So first time you take this feat you can master a level 9 spell. You can't cast it, but you can prepare it once you get the level 9 spell slot without the spell book.

The Grue
2014-12-25, 07:38 PM
and anyway, wizards are so underpowered they need some nice things.

......you what mate?

RoboEmperor
2014-12-25, 07:40 PM
......you what mate?

that was a sarcastic joke. Only possible explanation of anyone saying that.