PDA

View Full Version : iMagic? :D [Magic Item]

Maerok
2007-03-29, 09:18 PM
Recorder of Bards
This magical disc can be affected by the bardic music ability when held aloft whenever a bard uses his or her abilities; the user gains the normal benefit of the effect. The effect is then stored within the recorder, much like a spell can be kept in a pearl of power. Within a week, a user may hold the disc up to their ear and replay several (at least one) of the bardic effects, which last for 1d8 rounds. Each stored effect can be used once, and is then released from the disc. Any required Perform checks are rolled like the bard was making the check at the time the effect was recorded.

A recorder of bards may only hold a certain amount of bardic effects, as per its price. Once full, it can no longer be used to hold any more effects until others are used. Two models are available. The first lets the user pick the effect directly, getting full knowledge of each of the effects the disc holds. This is the more expensive device. The other picks the effect at random.

Moderate transmutation; CL 10th; Craft Wondrous Item, creator must expend one bardic music use per effect the item can hold; Price 1,000 gp (1), 4,000 gp (2), 9,000 gp (3), 16,000 gp (4), 25,000 gp (5), 36,000 gp (6), 49,000 gp (7), 64,000 gp (8), or 81,000 gp (9). Double the price for the model that lets the user know the contents of the disc.

Innis Cabal
2007-03-29, 09:59 PM
you win the internt on so many levels it is no longer amusing

Hoorex
2007-03-29, 10:04 PM
Doesnt this make the Bard class completely useless? Not just it's regular... wow I'm better off being a cleric/fighter/barbarian/anything else kinda useless?

Innis Cabal
2007-03-29, 10:06 PM
bard can not get more useless if it tried

Demented
2007-03-29, 10:47 PM
Well, you still need a Bard for it. And it doesn't come with loudspeakers...

More importantly, what happens after said week?

GryffonDurime
2007-03-29, 11:22 PM
Nifty.

Though I think this creates a case, maybe, for those trendy sorcerers who derive their powers from the lineage of Apple Demons: they should be able to store spell slots in a magiPod.

Legoman
2007-03-30, 12:16 AM
I can see awesome DMs dropping the 'shuffle' variants for their players, who only find that you have the medieval equivalent of Yoko Ono rocking out on it.

Would that qualify as a cursed item?

Innis Cabal
2007-03-30, 02:09 PM
yes....very much so, it cuases you to make a san check

Fax Celestis
2007-03-30, 02:22 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/FaxCelestis/iBard.png

Excellent.

McFayne
2007-03-30, 05:00 PM
I don't think it makes the bard useless, it simply gives a party without a bard some limited access to bardic music abilities without forcing the party's n00b to multiclass (this has happened to me.)

De_Carabas
2007-03-31, 09:38 AM
If I'm reading this right, it needs a Bard to recharge, otherwise it's a limited use item. Meaning that a single song 'Recorder Of Bards' can potentially double a Bards daily uses of their Bardic Song ability (once, during which it is charged, and again, when it is discharged).

Although, from the sound of the description, this bonuses from second use can only be enjoyed by one party member at a time.

This means the bard almost becoms twice as un-useless