PDA

View Full Version : Foul-weather friends

Asta Kask
2014-12-25, 02:21 PM
We all know what a fair-weather friend is - someone who will suddenly become unavailable whenever things get rough. But does anyone here have foul-weather friends? Someone who may be a little grumpy about day-to-day help, but who will stick with you to the end when things are rough?

I have a number of them (both kith and kin) and they may be my greatest help in this world. Because things have been really crappy lately. I want to thank them all, in the extremely unlikely case someone reads this; and if you happen to have some, treasure them as pearls beyond prize.

sktarq
2014-12-25, 04:36 PM
Being someone has had several friends drift away as the foul weathered time of their life gets better I noticed there is a breed.

TheThan
2014-12-25, 05:01 PM
I’ve been blessed with friends who are awesome regardless of the weather. When times get tough we help each other out and provide mutual support for each other. We’re as much a family as our own families are.

It really is amazing, I know what it’s like to be friendless, and so I’m very thankful that I have such a good group of great friends.

SiuiS
2014-12-26, 05:52 PM
I think all good friends are foul weather friends. Maybe it's just my definition, but the people who put aside stuff when it's important for you often won't put aside stuff when it's frivolous.

It's also how I try to operate on the Internet. If I don't care enough about you to worry I'll just ignore you. It's counterintuitive but we tend to only argue to cause change, and we only care about changing things that matter to us; people, opinions of those people, etc.

Being someone has had several friends drift away as the foul weathered time of their life gets better I noticed there is a breed.

I think he meant friends who only help when you're screwed, not where they're screwed.

Themrys
2014-12-26, 06:58 PM
I haven't had really bad times, yet, but what few friends I have have always been there when I needed them. As I am very introverted and don't want to be social often, there is not much "having fun together".

Me, I am very lazy, so if a friend asked me to plan her wedding, I would probably find a reason why I can't do that. However, if the life or long-term wellbeing of a friend was at stake, I would be much more ready to get my lazy ass up and do something about it. It's called priorities.
(They also can always call me to complain about things that go wrong in their life. They don't, but they could. Listening is no work.)

tensai_oni
2014-12-26, 11:40 PM
Foul-weather friend is definitely a thing. I know people who are grumpy and hard to deal with on an ordinary day basis, and don't really have time for your crap or even for having fun together.

But if a situation is serious and you need help, they'll be the first to assist you.

Bless them.

Crow
2014-12-26, 11:52 PM
I found It's easier for my sanity to be one of these.

Jay R
2014-12-27, 12:49 PM
I have a grumpy, insulting, self-righteous, judgmental friend who helped put my wife through college. I also have a pushy, opinionated friend who paid my mortgage for two months once.

The skills needed to be nice day-to-day are not the same as the skills needed to help somebody who really needs help.