PDA

View Full Version : [Monster] Stormseeker Sandworm

Fax Celestis
2007-03-29, 09:43 PM
Stormseeker Sandworm
Gargantuan Magical Beast
HD: 19d10+228 (332 HP)
Init: +0
Speed: 25 ft. (5 squares); burrow 70 ft.
AC: 33 (-4 size, +15 natural, +12 deflection); Touch: 18; Flat-Footed: 33
Base Attack/Grapple: +19/+38
Attack: Bite +22 melee (2d8+7+1d10 electrical)
Full Attack: Bite +22 melee (2d8+7+1d10 electrical)
Space/Reach: 20 ft./ 15 ft.
Special Attacks: Awesome Blow, Power Attack, Swallow Whole, Spring Attack, Breath Weapon
Special Qualities: Momentum, Electrical Absorption, Storm-Hardened, Fearsome Presence, Improved Grab, DR 15/Starmetal, SR 34, Electrical Awareness, Tremorsense 100', Blindsight 30'
Saves: Fort +23, Ref +11, Will +10
Abilities: Str 25 Dex 10 Con 35 Int 4 Wis 19 Cha 17
Skills: Hide –12*, Intimidate +19, Move Silently +5*
Feats: Spring Attack B, Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Awesome Blow, Ability Focus (Fearsome Presence), Ability Focus (Breath Weapon), Clinging Breath, Iron Will
Environment: Desert
Organization: Solitary, pair, or clutch (2d4)
CR: 19
Treasure: None
Alignment: Usually chaotic neutral
Advancement: 20-32 HD (Gargantuan); 33+ (Colossal)
LA: -

:*A stormseeker sandworm receives a +20 competence bonus to Hide and Move Silently while burrowing.

Momentum (Ex)
At the end of its round, a stormseeker sandworm adds one to its initiative score (not its modifier) for this encounter and recalculates its position in the initiative lineup.

Electrical Absorption (Ex)
When a stormseeker sandworm would take damage from an effect with the (Electricity) descriptor or that deals electrical damage, it instead gains a number of temporary hit points equal to the amount it would have normally lost, up to a total maximum equal to its normal hit point total. These temporary hit points remain for 24 hours.

Should a stormseeker sandworm gain temporary hit points through this means in excess of 50% of its normal maximum hit point total and retain them for at least twelve hours, it sheds its skin and gains one hit die and all benefits associated thereof (such as improved base attack bonus, new feats, new skills, etc.). Should a stormseeker sandworm gain enough hit dice (through this means, experience, or a combination of the two) to increase in size, these hit dice count as normal.

Electrical Awareness (Ex)
A stormseeker sandworm is aware of any electrical activity within a mile of itself and will move towards any electrical activity (natural, magical, or otherwise) at its greatest possible speed. Most stormseeker sandworms ignore electrical spells of less than third level, but it is not entirely unheard of for them to seek them out occasionally.

Storm-Hardened (Ex)
A stormseeker sandworm adds its Constitution bonus to its armor class as a deflection bonus.

Fearsome Presence (Ex)
A stormseeker sandworm who succeeds in swallowing an opponent whole terrifies all other creatures within 30' of less HD than itself. Affected opponents must make a successful Will save (DC 24; Charisma-based) or become frightened for 4d6 rounds. An opponent that succeeds on the saving throw is immune to that stormseeker sandworm's fearsome presence for 24 hours. This is a mind-affecting fear effect.

Improved Grab (Ex)
If a stormseeker sandworm hits a creature of at least one size smaller than itself with a bite attack, it deals normal damage and immediately attempts to start a grapple as a free action without provoking attacks of opportunity.

Swallow Whole (Ex)
If a stormseeker sandworm has a creature grappled at the start of its turn, it can attempt to swallow it whole. It does this by attempting a new grapple check. If successful, it swallows its prey and the opponent takes bit damage.

A swallowed creature takes 1d8 points of bludgeoning damage plus an additional 2d6 acid and 2d6 electrical each round, until it can escape. A swallowed creature can attempt to cut its way out by attacking the insides of the stormseeker sandworm with any light slashing or piercing weapon. The AC of the stormseeker sandworm's stomach is 24.

Alternatively, a swallowed creature can attempt to escape the grapple. With a successful escape, the creature is back in the mouth of the stormseeker sandworm, where it is in danger of being bitten or swallowed.

Breath Weapon (Su)
A stormseeker sandworm can breathe a 90' line of electricity as a standard action every 1d4 rounds. This line deals 8d10+24 points of electricity damage. Any creature caught in its path can attempt a Reflex save (DC 26; Constitution-based) for half damage. A creature in the stormseeker sandworm's mouth when it uses its breath weapon takes maximum damage per die and does not receive a save.
[hr]
A smaller--albeit frequently more dangerous--cousin to the forcehunter sandworm (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10639), these great creatures ravage the lands of the Auleauk desert, particulary the western region, where the desert meets the shore and the thunderstorms are nearly endless.

These creatures, interestingly enough, thrive off of electricity, devouring lightning as it dissipates into the ground during storms. During particularly fierce storms, it is not uncommon to see one of these beasts leap from its perch below the sand and dive through low-hanging clouds in an effort to attract lightning to itself.

Partially due to their nature and partially due to the nature of magic, these creatures are drawn to magical electricity like a moth to flame. Magical electricity is a purer form of the energy they so desire, and as such these creatures treat it as something of a delicacy.

Occasionally, blue dragons will capture and train young stormseeker sandworms and use them as guards, "feeding" them with their breath weapon.

Icewalker
2007-03-29, 09:58 PM
Damn, and Fax pulls off another amazing homebrew something. I love it. If my party wasn't 2nd level I'd definitely send some of these at them. I can see some city or caravan in a desert doing something involving magical electricity, not realizing about these things, and having a small city attacked by colossal Stormhunters. That'd be some fun carnage for a PC to try to escape from. yeouch.

Momentum is a nice touch.

I'd say up the stomach acid damage a little bit, but I dunno.

I love the descriptions for the Electrical Absorption ability. Jumping into the storms. And, by coincidence, my world actually has a desert with a coastline! score!

Fax Celestis
2007-03-29, 10:14 PM
I would up the acid damage from the stomach, but for the fact that it's not supposed to really be an attack against resilient enemies. If one of these babies uses its Improved Grab ability against a tough foe, it's more than likely going to follow with its breath weapon (far more effective) than to swallow it.

However, in the case of weaker prey (such as a trading caravan), there's no reason it won't spring attack, grab an opponent, dive back underground using its burrow speed, and then swallow as it runs. Tactics like that makes these guys terrifying harriers. If only they were intelligent enough to realize...

Demented
2007-03-29, 10:42 PM
The combination of breath weapon and electrical absorption makes for an amusing mental picture of a stormseeker sandworm feeding its young.

Icewalker
2007-03-29, 11:06 PM
Tactics like that makes these guys terrifying harriers. If only they were intelligent enough to realize...

...*coughFremencough*...

:wink:

white!

Fax Celestis
2007-03-29, 11:21 PM
...*coughFremencough*...

:wink:

Well, yes, but in my game, they're called "Hunters of the Stag."

Ackapus
2007-03-30, 10:26 AM
I'll bet they don't drown in water to release a powerfully hallucinogenic poison, either...

Oh, but I was SO waiting for a Dune reference. Fremen... lol

Er, am I missing the damage dice for the breath weapon? I don't see it anywhere...

Fax Celestis
2007-03-30, 10:45 AM
I'll bet they don't drown in water to release a powerfully hallucinogenic poison, either...

Oh, but I was SO waiting for a Dune reference. Fremen... lol

Er, am I missing the damage dice for the breath weapon? I don't see it anywhere...

No, you're not. I'm just an idiot. Added (8d10+24).

Fizban
2007-03-30, 01:02 PM
Now, I thought the forcehunter was supposed to be the Dune reference, I don't remember sandworms having a breath weapon. But anyway, nice monster as always.

And who says they can't spring n' swallow? They have 4 int, more than a wolf, the classic strategic animal; and 19 wisdom, plenty enough to explain good hunting instincts.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-03-30, 01:57 PM
I really, really like this, as well as it's bigger cousin (which I hope you'll be resubmitting). Now I just have to figure out how to work them into Tyrath...

Fax Celestis
2007-03-30, 02:06 PM
I've got one more in the works (the Souldrinker Sandworm), that, once I finish, I will resubmit all three together.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-03-30, 02:07 PM
ooooooh sounds shiny

Ackapus
2007-03-31, 12:17 AM
..... actually, it sounds inebriated.

Fax Celestis
2007-03-31, 12:02 PM
..... actually, it sounds inebriated.

Yes, it's drunk on life. Literally.

NobleSavage
2007-03-31, 05:43 PM
This great, I love Dune inspired dnd stuff. My current favorite character I'm playing is a ninja/diviner. And I may or may not have used an old screenshot of Stilgar for my character's pic. Heh.

So, anyone thinking of starting up a Dune based campaign around these here parts?

Collin152
2007-03-31, 05:51 PM
Mmmm.... If anybody was stupid enough to play Pun-Pun, this besat would give him another means of infinite hit dice. Once he becomes a god, anyways.

I_Got_This_Name
2007-04-01, 01:45 PM
Yeah, I'd cap the growth rate for Electrical Absorbtion, possibly at a hit die per month or something. Otherwise, there'd be no reason for them to not have, essentially, an arbitrary number of hit dice after hanging around a Blue Dragon for any length of time.

Also, why DR /Starmetal? Starmetal is equivalent to Adamantine (overcomes /Adamantine, anyway), and I don't see it being particularly disconnected from the Material, anyway, so /Adamantine should be fine.

Eighth_Seraph
2007-04-01, 09:55 PM
...Fax? What...happened...to your avatar? It frightens me.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-01, 10:01 PM
Yeah, I'd cap the growth rate for Electrical Absorbtion, possibly at a hit die per month or something. Otherwise, there'd be no reason for them to not have, essentially, an arbitrary number of hit dice after hanging around a Blue Dragon for any length of time.

Also, why DR /Starmetal? Starmetal is equivalent to Adamantine (overcomes /Adamantine, anyway), and I don't see it being particularly disconnected from the Material, anyway, so /Adamantine should be fine.

In my campaign setting, Starmetal is like Adamantine on Crack. I suppose I should post the stats for it at some point...

...Fax? What...happened...to your avatar? It frightens me.

Tasha Levantine happens to be a very nice person catfolk Catgirl (Paladin 3/Monk 2) who has a thing for fire.

henebry
2007-04-02, 10:12 AM
Tasha Levantine happens to be a very nice person catfolk Catgirl (Paladin 3/Monk 2) who has a thing for fire.
Is that a girl scout uniform she's wearing? :smallbiggrin:

Fax Celestis
2007-04-02, 10:22 AM
Is that a girl scout uniform she's wearing? :smallbiggrin:

I may be playing a catgirl, but I'm not that bad.