PDA

View Full Version : What languages do creatures without a specific language listed speak?

sorcererlover
2014-12-25, 11:02 PM
Specifically nightmares, who are neutral evil, but there might be others I want to know so... anyone?

DrMotives
2014-12-26, 12:42 AM
Nightmares come from the lower planes, so those living in the Lawful side will speak Infernal, and on the Chaotic side of the Great Road will speak Abyssal. They could easily speak both. If they work with wizards much, they might have Draconic, as mages tend to use that as an international language of magic the way medieval people used Latin as an international scholarly language. If you want to play up the fiery nature of them, let them speak Ignan. They have a +2 racial to intelligence, so even a stock monster manual nightmare can speak 2 languages, more if one has better stats with a higher int.

Urpriest
2014-12-26, 03:07 AM
Per the MM, by default, Common.

sorcererlover
2014-12-26, 05:09 AM
Per the MM, by default, Common.

Where does it say in the MM? Can't find it, which isn't surprising since I'm a horrible text searcher...

Curmudgeon
2014-12-26, 05:53 AM
Page 7:
Intelligence: A creature can speak all the languages mentioned in its description, plus one additional language per point of Intelligence bonus. Any creature with an Intelligence score of 3 or higher understands at least one language (Common, unless noted otherwise). There's no guarantee that any creature can speak Common; it's just what they speak by default if there aren't any languages mentioned.

Eldan
2014-12-26, 06:16 AM
Older editions had more languages. You could give them Fiendish or Yugoloth.

atemu1234
2014-12-26, 10:19 AM
Isn't it stated somewhere that creatures of a non language compatible structure understood, but don't speak common?

Urpriest
2014-12-26, 12:51 PM
Isn't it stated somewhere that creatures of a non language compatible structure understood, but don't speak common?

Yeah, looking at Curmudgeon's quote that does appear to be the case.

NeoPhoenix0
2014-12-26, 01:38 PM
wow, this is really good information to know. I never realized that familiars actually understood common even if the master wasn't a high enough level for speak with master. This is very interesting news for my inner munchkin, even if the familiar has no way of speaking back.

The Random NPC
2014-12-26, 04:01 PM

I know that Griffons are specifically able to understand, but not speak, Common.