PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Request: Better hook for Cormyr Tearing of the Weave

Ghostfoot
2014-12-26, 01:44 AM
Hi all

I'm running the Forgotten Realms 3.5 adventure Cormyr: The Tearing of the Weave. For those that aren't familiar with it, it's a great adventure but suffers from particularly weak hooks to get the characters involved.

Here's a very basic outline of the plot (spoilers within):

A temple to Mystra has recently been built in Wheloon, Cormyr. While appearing ordinary it is actually a front for the clergy of Shar who are using it to abduct spellcasters who come to worship. They take the kidnapped spellcasters to the Plane of Shadow via a portal in the Vast Swamp. Shadar-kai and enslaved undead lizardfolk are involved (so are priests of Cyric but let's not even go there).

In the Plane of Shadow a black dragon (the BBEG) is sacrificing them in a ritual to destroy the Weave and thus end all normal magic leaving only the Shadow Weave (which is controlled by Shar).

Here's the three suggested hooks (spoilers within):

A random but legitimate cleric of Mystra goes to worship at the fake temple. It is evident to him that it is fraudulent and he is attacked but manages to escape. He recruits the PCs to investigate while he reports to his superiors in Saerloon, Sembia.
A local bookseller goes missing. His wife hires the PCs to find him and uncover a reference to the fake temple.
The PCs need to visit a temple to Mystra for some reason. The Sharrans attempt to kidnap them.

By way of background the party of 5 PCs have a limited gestalt build and currently consists of:

sun elf beguiler//scout from Evermeet,
human warlock//fighter from Cormyr,
dwarven wizard//monk
human barbarian//scout from Damara,
human crusader//cleric of Mystra from Cormyr

They will be in the Hultail/ Thunderstone area just prior to this adventure starting. So relatively close by.

Here's what I was thinking of for a hook (spoilers):

The PC cleric of Mystra is a member of the Knights of the Mystic Fire. He has a handler that has been giving him orders (mundane orders so far). The NPC cleric from hook 1 above gets into trouble and flees, chased by the evil Sharrans. He contacts the handler and then the party, handler and NPC cleric arrange to meet urgently to plan an escape/ counterattack. The group is ambushed by the Sharrans and after defeating them shazaam! we are good to go with the adventure. Maybe the NPC cleric and handler come running in with the Sharrans hot on their trail to give a bit more urgency. In any case the handler will meet a sticky end and the NPC cleric will still need to exit in order to report to his superiors in Sembia.

There are a couple of good evil NPC mercs that could be used for this fight that the Sharrans use to deal with any troublemakers. Also I can throw in a few mook warriors with the "dark" template to give them a hint of what is to come.

Does anyone have any other suggestions, or experience using different hooks with their games?

Kol Korran
2014-12-26, 04:05 AM
I played the adventure (and the sequels) a long time ago. We did use the first hook, and it was indeed very "meh". Some ideas that spring to mind:
1) There could be a great holiday to Mystra, and the group could come visit the temple. Those who show impressive magical skill (The warlock, beguiler and of course the Cleric( may be called to come inside for the temple's real nefarious plots. When things start to go wrong, you have your kook.

2) Someone with magical abilities from one of the characters' background may have gone missing after visiting the temple?

3) The beguiler's "contacts/ friends", notify him about some... oddities... about the temple, and how maybe 1-2 people in it behave? Or of the scou or such.

I'd suggest to try and make a hook linking at least 2-3 characters' backgroudn or personalities to this. Could go a long way towards motivation.

A few things, if I may about the rest of the adventure:
1) For some reason they keep messing up "east" and "west" in the info given to the palyers, which makes no sense on Cormyr's map, and almost made us go the opposite way.
2) The part with the lizardfolk feels utterly railroaded. Also, two players in our group were so much against being taken/ captured that we tried to fight them all.
3) The entire part of the dragon making strafe runs and then retreating feels really, really forced. Better to have some other ways to have him appear. This felt SOOOO weak.
4) A lot of the adventure is filled with tons of weak encounters which we call "XP fodder". I highly suggest to group those into fewer but more deadly battles. If you're playing in a PbP format, then even more so. Too many insignificant battles kill the game.
5) Play out the feels and alien nature of the plane of shadow. This for me was the best part of the entire thing!

Good luck with the game!

Ghostfoot
2014-12-26, 06:31 PM
I played the adventure (and the sequels) a long time ago. We did use the first hook, and it was indeed very "meh". Some ideas that spring to mind:
1) There could be a great holiday to Mystra, and the group could come visit the temple. Those who show impressive magical skill (The warlock, beguiler and of course the Cleric( may be called to come inside for the temple's real nefarious plots. When things start to go wrong, you have your kook.

2) Someone with magical abilities from one of the characters' background may have gone missing after visiting the temple?

3) The beguiler's "contacts/ friends", notify him about some... oddities... about the temple, and how maybe 1-2 people in it behave? Or of the scou or such.

I'd suggest to try and make a hook linking at least 2-3 characters' backgroudn or personalities to this. Could go a long way towards motivation.

A few things, if I may about the rest of the adventure:
1) For some reason they keep messing up "east" and "west" in the info given to the palyers, which makes no sense on Cormyr's map, and almost made us go the opposite way.
2) The part with the lizardfolk feels utterly railroaded. Also, two players in our group were so much against being taken/ captured that we tried to fight them all.
3) The entire part of the dragon making strafe runs and then retreating feels really, really forced. Better to have some other ways to have him appear. This felt SOOOO weak.
4) A lot of the adventure is filled with tons of weak encounters which we call "XP fodder". I highly suggest to group those into fewer but more deadly battles. If you're playing in a PbP format, then even more so. Too many insignificant battles kill the game.
5) Play out the feels and alien nature of the plane of shadow. This for me was the best part of the entire thing!

Good luck with the game!

Cool, thank you for the tips.

I've actually DM'ed a group most of the way through this adventure a few years ago. The bit we had the most problem with was the intro (hence my request for help), where my players said "you first" to the NPC cleric asking for assistance, and basically strong-armed him into the temple as a meat-shield and proceeded to beat the snot out of everyone without establishing whether they were good or bad.

The lizardfolk part we didn't have too much of a problem with. Sure, the party beat them all up, but in the end accepted their surrender and got along okay.

I agree with your comments regarding the maps and the editing in general. And I have seen many comments about the numerous low-level encounters becoming tedious.

Interesting comments regarding the dragon strafing the party. I haven't run that part yet and was looking forward to that being exciting...I will count myself warned. And thanks for the tips re Plane of Shadow. I think you are right, that will absolutely make the whole adventure memorable.

Thanks again
GF

kalasulmar
2014-12-26, 09:47 PM
I ran a small, ranged deficient party through this adventure and the strafing dragon gave them fits. Plus, he was systematically destroying the bridges and pinning them down. Worked out to the enjoyment of both sides, actually.