PDA

View Full Version : Player Help How to get started on RPGs?

goto124
2014-12-26, 02:42 AM
I've made a post in the Seeking a DM (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?274496-Seeking-a-DM&p=18575198#post18575198) thread, but I thought I could ask for further advice here.

I've been playing MUDs and other computer games. I haven't been in a single Tabletop game before, so I'll have to be taught from the bare basics up. I don't know if that's possible without frustrating the DM to no end (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?388303-So-this-one-time-on-a-boat&p=18532627&viewfull=1#post18532627), but I'll try to be friendly and accepting of whatever I have to learn. Reading the rules is one part of it, however I don't know where to start- I'll need to know where those PDFs are, for one thing.

Is there a way for me to get a 'tabletop tutorial' of sorts? Are there some basics I ought to know, that can be broadly applied across different 'systems' of tabletop gaming?

Knaight
2014-12-26, 01:56 PM
If you're going in as a player, you're fine. Put some effort into learning the system in question, try to come in with as few assumptions about how it will be played as possible, and call it a day. It's a bit trickier to start as a GM without ever having played, but it's doable (I did exactly that).

If you really want to prepare heavily, there are resources. Most notable are actual play podcasts, where you can hear people playing an RPG, and get some idea of what it looks like in practice. With that said, I wouldn't bother.

Madfellow
2014-12-26, 02:37 PM
Which system are you starting with?

Milodiah
2014-12-26, 05:19 PM
My advice is to go over to RPPR (Roleplaying Public Radio) and listen to those dudes play. They're rather a good index, in my opinion, of what a quality set of average (veteran) roleplayers sound like at the table...they don't take themselves all that seriously most of the time, they tend to get sidetracked and derailed sometimes, but all in all it's hilarious and engaging.

Personally, I think the biggest differences in getting into the hobby isn't so much in system, but in setting. I will not deny that systems were not created equal, and some are far more complex and unintuitive than others. I wouldn't throw you into Rifts, Shadowrun, etc. as the very first game you play...but on the other hand, veteran d20/3.5 players tend to forget that while the individual elements of D&D 3.5 are rather simple, there's a ton of breadth in there. Playing as a pact mage and playing as a TWF fighter are almost like playing two different games. But I digress...system will be strange to you regardless of where you start, but you'll probably pick it up quickly. Most of the big-name commercial ones like d20, BRP, ST, etc. fall in either the categories of "easy to learn, difficult to master" or "easily learned and then rolled with"; d20 and perhaps ST in the former, BRP in the latter.

But in my opinion, the best way to start gaming is in a modern setting, i.e. "like reality unless noted". Stuff like Call of Cthulhu, Delta Green, World of Darkness (depending on where the ST typically leans on the modern elements versus the fantasy elements of the setting, there can potentially be a long way between the two ends of the spectrum). It can be hard to connect with a paladin of St. Cuthbert who's out hunting extraplanar threats, trying to bend your mind around all the races, magics, alignments, items, classes, pantheons, etc. that are being thrown at you. But in Call of Cthulhu, you are an average person. Sure, the '20s can be a bit iffy if you're not historically oriented, but modern Call of Cthulhu is about as close to reality as it gets. Party goes to Starbucks to discuss the plan, party boards an airline flight to travel cross-country, party has jobs and families to worry about, etc. And the less you know about the Mythos and the occult, the better...the Keeper gets to hit you with all that crazy **** and you're as lost as your character, which is really the way it's meant to be played.

It really encourages you to think in-character, because you share the character's frame of reference about history, society, sciences, law and order, etc.

Jay R
2014-12-26, 09:18 PM
Where do you live? Are there any local game stores?

The best way to play a tabletop game is on a tabletop. Find a local game if you can. Most people are reasonably patient with first-time players who admit they need advice and follow it in good faith.

goto124
2014-12-27, 12:07 AM
Thank you for all your advice.

@Jay R: RL is out of the question.

How well would a solo game work for learning the ropes? How long before I move on to a group, and how do I not bog down said group?

Kid Jake
2014-12-27, 01:23 AM
Solo or group based games are about the same for learning the ropes, some people may feel more comfortable learning away from curious eyes; but on the other hand having a group on hand means that you get to see more of the game in action since everybody probably brings something different to the table. If you can find a group you should be able to join right away. Games are generally about having fun, so most groups shouldn't mind helping a new player get acquainted with the system; especially since no matter how new you are it usually doesn't take more than a few minutes of instruction before you're capable of contributing SOMETHING to the action.

Jay R
2014-12-27, 09:19 AM
Solo games help you learn the mechanics. It's a very useful tool as far as it goes, but don't confuse it with learning the ropes of a cooperative group game.

Milodiah
2014-12-27, 11:47 AM
Yeah, again the mechanics are something you'll pick up rather quickly unless you end up with an abysmally rules-heavy system, which almost all commercial games are not. I've usually seen solo games happen as a result of the GM wanting to catch a new player up on the setting/storyline/leveling rather than just throw a random level 10 adventurer who popped out of thin air at the party of level 10 adventurers who clawed their way up to that point.

goto124
2014-12-27, 09:32 PM
Thanks everyone! I've found someone willing to teach me via a solo game. He did warn me that the only system he's familar with is rules-heavy, but I think I can go with it.

I plan to join a group game afterwards. It'll be a while though.

(Should I pre-emptively look for a couple of people willing to put up with my newbness first, since I don't know when I'll start with a real game...)

Knaight
2014-12-27, 09:39 PM
In my experience, nobody "puts up with" new players. People generally enjoy having them - this is predicated on a group forming from people who generally like each other, but that's generally the case. In your case it looks like you're looking to join an existing group, but that just means that they want more people. Plus, it's extremely common for people in the hobby to really cherish the idea of growing the hobby, and thus actively look for new players.