PDA

View Full Version : Pinhead and Cenobites

Callos_DeTerran
2007-03-29, 10:25 PM
This is something that only just recently come to my attention. Many a time do I see people attempting to stat up characters from movies, books, tv shows and what not. But hardly, actually I don't think ever, see anyone trying to stat up movie monsters. Or the crazy psychotic killers in such jump-flicks.

But I think one particular group (and one among that group) in particular could make an absolutely fascinating and engaging group of D&D Monsters and villians. Of course I'm speakin' about Pinhead and the Cenobites. Can you imagine how freaked out someone who might have seen the Hellraiser movies would get if they found the puzzle box, already in the Lament Configuration? Knowing that somewhere, probably close by, Pinhead and the other diabolic Cenobites are probably lurking close by with those spiked chains at the ready?

But heres the problem....how would you stat up Pinhead or other Cenobites? Would a template cover the general 'run-of-the-mill' Cenobites with special ones being more developed? What about the "Whereever the hell they come from" plane, what sort of traits would it have? Would you reach it by going through the Plane of Nightmares? How heavily do you think these creatures would rely on the Heroes of Horror and Book of Vile Darkness? What kind of items are the puzzle box and the Pillar of Souls? Mere wondorous items? What about Levitithan?

I haven't seen the movies myself but for some reason the idea of Cenobites or Pinhead making an appearance in D&D tickles me. It's the kind of setting that they could fit into.

Matthew
2007-03-30, 01:03 PM
I think the plot of Hellraiser is easily adapted into D&D and the various Monsters a fairly easy Demon / Devil type fit. The only thing is that D&D is generally more concerned with 'hacking things up' than running away from them. So, there are a number of ways the plot might be treated by the Player Characters, some perhaps more satisfying than others.

You could run it in a Ravenloft type setting or even as part of a D20 Past/Modern/Future game.

I doubt I would bother statting up much, though.

SpiderBrigade
2007-03-30, 08:58 PM
It's not like the cenobites really have a wide array of signature unique powers that they use, do they? They're mostly just scary mutilated S&M goons from what I remember. Well, okay, Pinhead does that flying chains thing. So make him a kyton with a different appearance. The rest is just flavor...

Actually, isn't the plane that these beasts come from some kind of twisted realm of desires, or something? So theyr'e all succubi with different forms. That could work. Or, you know, they could reasonably also be some form of undead, of the less rotting corpse, more evil mutilated flesh variety.

Clementx
2007-03-31, 09:53 AM
They are actually creatures of absolute sensation, not torturers set on misery, so they really aren't demons. Users of the Lament Configuration (that is the box's name, not the setting that unlocks the Cenobites) were having an amazing time all along, and the Cenobites just come to expand their definition of pleasure to an accurate representation of sensation, so they are Neutral Outsiders. If a Kyton in bondage gear doesn't care your players, having him turn up not evil to divination/smite will.

That said, horror movies end up so much better when you use WoD systems, where the players don't get the benefit of balanced CR and health/immunities/saves out the wazzu.

daggaz
2007-03-31, 10:22 AM
They are also lawful, and very much so. They have a system to their madness, and will only claim the correct 'victims.' So that makes them devils, not demons.

Neo
2007-03-31, 10:42 AM
nah, cos they aren't evil.

They're more like the sensation faction, which I think was in old Planescape , in essence they'd be closer to the free-willed elementals if anything.

bosssmiley
2007-03-31, 11:21 AM
As SpiderBrigade said: Kytons with added sadism.

The Cenobites as presented in the "Hellraiser" films strike me as classic devil material. They are called to earth by those seeking forbidden experiences. Their definition of freedom is the freedom to do, rather than be done to; their sadistic enjoyment comes from the extremity of sensation that you suffer. They can't harm innocents ("It is not hands that summon us, it is desire." -- Pinhead, "Hellraiser II"), but enjoy tormenting the lustful and impenitent.

Just coz Pinhead can rationalise his particular brand of evil with sophistry ("You called us. You sought us out..."), doesn't make it any less evil.