PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder My Homebrew Feat Changes/Fixes (Opinions Welcome!)

AntiHeart
2014-12-26, 08:31 AM
I've been disappointed by the skill improving feats for some time now. Pathfinder gave more incentive to take them, but I just don't feel that they make much of a difference. I'm testing out the following changes. Please let me know what you think!

All Skill Feats now give the following:
Benefit: You get a +2 bonus on all ____ and ____ skill checks. Treat these skills as class skills. For every 8 ranks you have in one of these skills, the bonus increases by +2 for that skill. Additionally at 8 ranks you may choose to take 10 even if your character is in immediate danger or distracted.
Acrobatic (Acrobatics & Fly)
Alert (Perception & Sense Motive)
Animal Affinity (Handle Animal & Ride)
Athletic (Climb & Swim)
Deceitful (Bluff & Disguise)
Deft Hands (Disable Device & Sleight of Hand)
Magical Aptitude (Spellcraft & Use Magical Device)
Persuasive (Diplomacy & Intimidate)
Self-Sufficient (Heal & Survival)
Stealthy (Escape Artist & Stealth)

Skill Focus
Choose a skill. You are particularly adept at that skill.
Benefit: The chosen skill is considered a class skill. You get 1 rank/level in the chosen skill. This bonus increases as you level. Any ranks previously invested into the selected skill must be redistributed. You can no longer invest ranks into this skill, as it will remain maxed out.

Farmerbink
2014-12-29, 07:51 PM
I definitely would like having that extra bit of "oomph" to the skills, but the problem here is really deeper than that. Skills are in a really weird place right now. Often, Mages have the most skills in the party (unless someone is playing a rogue (why?) or an investigator), and in general, the skills are underused. Unless something about the way the game is played changed, numerical bonuses are unlikely to improve the situation.

As crazy as it might sound- even with this change, I'd be hard-pressed to pick any but maybe one or two of those. It's just not that big a deal if you fail a check, most of the time. Never mind how often a spell does it better (knock, spider climb, etc).