PDA

View Full Version : Serious questions for those with in-depth forum tagging/coding expertise!

Farmerbink
2014-12-26, 05:30 PM
Thank you, in advance, if you are able to answer these questions for me.

1: OK. I know lots of the 1d6 (sans the " ") stuff. Are there more specific ways to handle d6(or d10) system games?

Ex: you roll 5d6, and need 3 of them to show 3 or greater. Is there a code to show each die result, when rolling en masse? (something like 5d6b3 or whatever, instead of taking best 3?)

2: How do you change the title of a thread? I have tried repeatedly to change a thread title from like months ago (I used the wrong letter in the abbreviation, and it's driving me crazy). Editing the title on the first post does exactly nothing to change the title on my subscriptions and in the general thread tab.

3: Any other fancy coding that you know of that comes in handy? Thanks again!

Douglas
2014-12-26, 05:52 PM
1. I don't think the space actually does anything. If you were going for preventing the roll tag from actually working, roll tags only work in the play by post section of the forums. For answering the actual question, use rollv instead of roll to show each individual die. rollv is unfortunately not compatible with the b syntax (I think it'll still roll without error, but it will show every die as if the b clause weren't there).

2. If the thread was started recently enough, you can change its title by editing the first post. After a certain point (I think it's 28 days, or somewhere around there), this will no longer work. If you need to change the title of a thread that is too old, report the thread's first post and request in the report that the title be changed. Please make certain you are extremely clear about exactly what you want the title to be, in particular preventing any need to guess about where the request stops and the requested title begins. Forum markup code works in reports too, so something like putting a bold tag around the requested title works well. A moderator will take care of it.

Farmerbink
2014-12-26, 06:17 PM
1. I don't think the space actually does anything. If you were going for preventing the roll tag from actually working, roll tags only work in the play by post section of the forums. For answering the actual question, use rollv instead of roll to show each individual die. rollv is unfortunately not compatible with the b syntax (I think it'll still roll without error, but it will show every die as if the b clause weren't there).

2. If the thread was started recently enough, you can change its title by editing the first post. After a certain point (I think it's 28 days, or somewhere around there), this will no longer work. If you need to change the title of a thread that is too old, report the thread's first post and request in the report that the title be changed. Please make certain you are extremely clear about exactly what you want the title to be, in particular preventing any need to guess about where the request stops and the requested title begins. Forum markup code works in reports too, so something like putting a bold tag around the requested title works well. A moderator will take care of it.

Awesome! Thanks again for your time. I didn't know there was a time limitation on the threat title editing. That does explain the problem. It's also a 30 page thread, so it may be approaching time for a replacement thread, just for my organizational sanity.

Again, thanks for taking the time to share this info with me :smallbiggrin:

Douglas
2014-12-26, 08:16 PM
Awesome! Thanks again for your time. I didn't know there was a time limitation on the threat title editing. That does explain the problem.
We've set the time limit to the highest the software will allow, but unfortunately there's no option to actually turn off the time limit.

It's also a 30 page thread, so it may be approaching time for a replacement thread, just for my organizational sanity.

Again, thanks for taking the time to share this info with me :smallbiggrin:
It's about the same effort for me to change your past-the-limit thread title as it is for you to change your own under-the-limit thread title, so it's not a big deal if you go the report route. The standard point for making a new thread is 50 pages, but you can do it earlier if you want.

Rawhide
2014-12-27, 11:18 AM
You should allow your thread to get to 50 pages before starting a new thread. There are only a few specific reasons why you might need a new thread before then. In those cases, please contact a moderator of that forum for approval with the reason why you want to restart the thread early.