PDA

View Full Version : How long do doppelgangers live?

Hobbo Jim
2014-12-26, 05:34 PM
Hey everyone! I was wondering if there was any published material on how long doppelgangers live as well as how they reproduce and their society. I know that Eberron has a lot of stuff on changelings, but none of it seemed to go into detail about doppelgangers. If there is published material please point me in that direction, if not what do you guys think?

Troacctid
2014-12-26, 08:08 PM
There is! It's in Races of Destiny, Chapter 4. Their maximum age is listed as 70 + 2d20 years, and there's some information on their culture on pages 93-95.

metabolicjosh
2014-12-26, 08:34 PM
Until the PC's and/or the BBG kills them of course~

DrMotives
2014-12-28, 02:00 AM
I don't recall seeing any stuff on their life cycle in 3.x, but in 2nd it was established that they aren't fertile amongst themselves. They're genderless in their natural state, and can only reproduce by assuming a humanoid form and having a child while shapechanged. The child appears as a member of the normal race until puberty. There was a Ravenloft adventure that talked a lot about this, called "Hour of the Knife". It was sort of a Jack the Ripper thing at first, then brought in cannibal doppelgangers terrorizing the city, and jackelweres moving in at the same time as opportunistic predators. It ended up with both species of shapechangers fighting each other over who got to stay and eat the normal people.