PDA

View Full Version : Regolith [MitP II]

Icewalker
2007-03-29, 11:57 PM
Regolith
Large Elemental (Earth, Air, Extraplanar)
HD 12d8+ 36 (90)
Speed 30 ft.
Init: +4
AC 18 (-1 size, +4 dex, +5 natural); touch 13; flat-footed 14
BAB +9/+4; Grp +18
Attack Slam +14 (2d6+5)
Full-Attack 2 Slams +14/+9 (2d6+5)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
Special Attacks Earth Mastery, Dust wave, Engulf
Special Qualities Fast healing 10, Darkvision 60 ft., Dust Being, elemental traits, earth glide
Saves Fort +11 Ref +12 Will +4
Abilities Str 20, Dex 18, Con 16, Int 11, Wis 11, Cha 8
Skills Spot +8, Listen +7, Move Silently +12 (8R, 4dex), Hide +12(8R, 4dex),
Feats Cleave, Great Cleave, Power Attack
Environment Elemental Plane of Earth
Organization Solitary or Pair
CR 9
Treasure None
Alignment Usually Neutral
Advancement (13-17 HD Huge)
Level Adjustment: -

A large form approaches from the shadow of the rocks. It appears to have a roughly humanoid shape, and as it leaves the shadows a 10 foot being composed entirely of a light grey dust moves towards you. You notice a glint of hard black stone from the head, and see two black crystals in a position eyes would take. The shape of the being shifts, and it changes into a great pile of dust sweeping towards you, although it retains it's armlike appendages. You see a flashing glint in the black eyes and it surges rapidly towards the party...

Dust Being: Regolith are immune to piercing damage, and slashing weapons deal ½ damage, as well as being mitigated by DR after halving. Only bludgeoning weapons deal damage normally.
As a dust being, a Regolith can squeeze through any hole that a fine dust could get through.

Earth Mastery: A Regolith gains a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls if it and its foe are touching the ground. If an opponent is airborne or waterborne, the elemental takes a -4 penalty on attack and damage rolls. (These modifiers are not included in the statistics block.)

Dust Wave: A Regolith may send out a wave of fine dust from its body. This dust gets into the nose and mouth of any being breathing within 10 ft. of the Regolith. Anyone within this radius must make a DC 20 fortitude save or begin choking. A choking character can take no actions but standing and coughing/gagging. This save must be made every round, with the DC lowering by 1 every save until the save is made. If the character chokes for an amount of time longer than he can hold his breath, he suffocates.

Engulf: A Regolith may engulf a target in its body, in an attempt to suffocate it with dust. This strategy is usually used when facing a lone opponent. The Regolith initiates a grapple check. If it succeeds, it pulls the creature into itself. The engulfed creature begins to choke on the dust of the Regolith. Every round it has to make a DC 25 fortitude save. If it succeeds, it can attempt an escape artist check against the regolith’s grapple check to break free. If a creature is trapped within a Regolith for an amount of time longer than it can hold it’s breath, it suffocates.

Earth Glide: A regolith can glide through stone, dirt, or almost any other sort of earth except metal as easily as a fish swims through water. Its burrowing leaves behind no tunnel or hole, nor does it create any ripple or other signs of its presence. A move earth spell cast on an area containing a burrowing regolith flings it back 30 feet, stunning the creature for 1 round unless it succeeds on a DC 15 fortitude save.

Regolith are elementals from the plane of earth. They are beings composed of a shifting grey dust, as well as two black gemstones for eyes. Far more intelligent than their earthen cousins, the Regolith are also more dangerous. Regolith may occasionally rely upon stealth instead of brute force, as their dusty nature sometimes gives them opportunities of camoflage. When facing a lone opponent, a Regolith will often engulf him and wait for him to choke. If facing multiple opponents, Regolith will often sneak up upon the party and make a full attack against the weakest looking (physically) opponent, generally the arcane caster in the party.

[hr]
I would like to note, regolith is an actual word. It is the grey dust that has gathered on the moon over it's long periods of isolation, a several foot thick layer of fine grey powder covering most of the lunar surface. I decided the word sounded so cool it was worthy of a creature.

The poll is for entry into the MitP (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2288086) project, a compilation of homebrew monsters, however, feel free to PEACH as normal, go ahead. I could still use the feedback from people not working on the project. (although you can't vote unless you have submitted something for the project)
white!

Lord Iames Osari
2007-03-30, 12:08 AM
Both DR 15/- and Dust Being are too much. I would pick either DR or Dust being, and tweak it a little.

I recommend either:

DR 15/bludgeoning (you may want to increase the amount of DR)

or

Dust Being (Ex): As beings composed entirely of dust, regoliths are immune to piercing damage and take only half damage from slashing weapons. Regoliths can pass through any space.

Edit: You might also consider giving it regeneration or fast healing, if you want it to be able to heal itself by pulling dust specks out of the air and incorporating them into itself.

Also, you might think about adding the Air subtype.

Icewalker
2007-03-30, 12:14 AM
hehehe, that's really funny, I posted this, went and reviewed yours, and came back to this to see if anyone posted on it.

Nice call on the fast healing and air subtype, and I guess I'll remove the DR. Do you think FH10 is good?

Also, what do you think about the Challenge Rating? That's the one I'm really unsure about.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-03-30, 12:19 AM
Hmm. This guy seems to be mostly a smashy guy, so CR=HD will tend to be a little on the high side... on the other hand, it does have some useful special attacks... mmm.... drop it to CR 9, I'd say.

Oh, and you probably want to edit in "regolith" instead of "earth elemental" in the Earth Glide ability.

Icewalker
2007-03-30, 12:22 AM
Ah, yeah, copied that straight out. yeah, 9th level party sounds about right. I'm really not good at measuring CR, and this is the first monster I've made, so yeah.

Rift_Wolf
2007-03-30, 02:16 AM
I like it. I vote yes. Reminds me of a Sand Banshee creature I thought up a while back; I might try totting that one up for the MITP as well. Back to the point; Good work!

Sampi
2007-03-30, 09:26 AM
I would like to note, regolith is an actual word. It is the grey dust that has gathered on the moon over it's long periods of isolation, a several foot thick layer of fine grey powder covering most of the lunar surface. I decided the word sounded so cool it was worthy of a creature.

Oh yes, it is cool enough, and a nice creature, too. The word regolith (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regolith) does have an earthly meaning, too. In fact, I am more used to that usage (with me being a geology nut and all) than the lunar surface usage - but it's cool. Good creature anyway.

Alex Warlorn
2007-12-20, 08:32 PM
If this being is normally neutral and intelligent. Why would it attack random passers by?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2007-12-20, 08:59 PM
Threadomancy much?