PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A 3.5 Darkstalker Feat vs Pathfinder Touchsight Power

Mehangel
2014-12-26, 08:01 PM
In a Pathfinder campaign that we are currently running in, the DM allows for the conversion of 3.5 feats. We have a player with the Darkstalker feat of which I have its benefits listed below.

When you hide, creatures with blindsense, blindsight, scent, or tremorsense must make a Listen check or a Spot check (whichever DC is higher) to notice you, just as sighted creatures would make Spot checks to detect you. You cannot hide in plain sight unless you have that ability as a class feature. In addition, you can flank creatures that have the all-around vision special quality.

The DM has converted the above into pathfinder into the paragraph below:

When you use the stealth skill, creatures with extra-sensory abilities such as blindsense, blindsight, scent, or tremorsense must make a perception check to notice you, just as a sighted creature would make a perception check to detect you. You cannot hide in plain sight unless you have that ability as a class feature. In addition, you can flank creatures that have the all-around vision special quality.

Touchsight (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-powers/t/touchsight) is a power that allows a character to ignore/see through invisibility, total darkness, concealment, while also specifically mentioning that the caster does not need to make perception checks to notice creatures.

What I am asking is if the converted darkstalker feat overrides the touchsight power, or if the touchsight power overrides the darkstalker feat. I understand that in the 3.5 version, it specifically only works against the four extra-sensories listed. Having it work, or not work is not an issue at the moment, but as it stands how would you interpret it?

Troacctid
2014-12-26, 08:17 PM
It seems to me the whole point of changing the wording was to make it affect sensory abilities other than the ones listed. Otherwise, why change it at all?

Mehangel
2014-12-26, 08:30 PM
It seems to me the whole point of changing the wording was to make it affect sensory abilities other than the ones listed. Otherwise, why change it at all?

I noticed that too, from what I understand, it was translated incorrectly by accident. Apparently, I was the first to notice the change, or atleast the first to speak up about it. It appears that the feat may be changed mostly back to only effect blindsense, blindsight, scent, or tremorsense. On the plus side, a new feat called Improved Darkstalker will probably be included that includes all other extra-sensory abilities as-well as the Hide in Plain Sight ability. I am not sure how this will affect the game, but hey...

kalasulmar
2014-12-27, 09:38 AM
Its effect will depend on the feat tree required to get improved darkstalker. Not feat intensive and it could become the staple build for every stealth character at that table. Especially when you get HIPS without templates or PrCs.