PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Dvati spells

MagnusXI
2014-12-26, 09:47 PM
Hello Giants, (sorry if i duplicated, I got timed out on posting)

I understand that the dvati are a controversial race, and that there is a post that requires them to share action points, our DM has decided not to use it.

My question is sharing personal spells, I am looking for ways to get access to personal spells to share with both dvati while remaining a melee build.

I know the best way is probably UMD and wands, but I was researching and some mention using psionics, and Tome of battle classes, which brings me to my question.

The racial ability says that spells require that both must concentrate to cast spells and someone mentioned using psionics to get around this, but if you were to say psionics is power not spells to bypass the casting restrictions, wouldn't this also make it ineligible for spell sharing?

And with TOB are they specifically referring to the fact that the maneuvers are not spells, there for they dont have the action restriction? because a dvati swordsage could not share his stances with each other as they are not spells correct?

Question on TOB:

TOB pg 40 says:"In general, martial maneuvers and stances that create supernatural
effects are transparent to magic or psionics" and "Martial
maneuvers and stances are never spells or spell-like abilities.
Unless the description of the specific maneuver or stance
says otherwise, treat it as an extraordinary ability. "
Is it just clarifying for the special occasions where it mimics a spell? because it seems very contradicting to me.

Is there any other options? i understand that SLA's is an option but this would have the same issue as psionics, if it counts as a spell to share than its a spell for the casting restriction...

Perhaps i am just trying to hard to utilize the personal spell share of this race, and should just stick to an offensive melee without buffing, however it just seems like a waste.

Material References
Tome of Battle ( Maneuvers, Swordsage)
Dragon Compendium (Dvati pg. 14)

Thank you for any help or guidance.

Troacctid
2014-12-26, 10:26 PM
Maneuvers are not spells, and the Dvati action restriction on spellcasting does not apply to them.

There may be a case that the restriction applies to spell-like abilities (which would include psionics--all psionic powers are spell-like abilities). The text says "spells," but it also says that "Any other sort of action, including a free one, makes it impossible for the casting twin to focus and use his spell" (DC p17). Spell-like abilities use the same concentration rules as spells, so if the other twin taking actions breaks the concentration required to cast spells, it could reasonably be assumed to break the concentration needed to use spell-like abilities. However, supernatural abilities "never require Concentration checks" (MM p315), so they are clearly exempt--no ifs, ands, or buts--and martial maneuvers and stances, while occasionally supernatural, "are never spells or spell-like abilities" (ToB p40).

Stances are certainly not spells, personal or otherwise, and cannot be shared. However, both twins have access to all their class abilities, so there's no reason why they'd need to share it--they can both activate the stance individually. It's not like there's a use limit on it.

Val666
2014-12-27, 10:36 AM
Wait what? Dvatis can have two different Stances active at the same time o_O?

MagnusXI
2014-12-27, 11:52 AM
Wait what? Dvatis can have two different Stances active at the same time o_O?

Yes, there is nothing that says they cant, so you can use 2 different stances as long as you have 2 to use.

Val666
2014-12-27, 12:17 PM
Yes, there is nothing that says they cant, so you can use 2 different stances as long as you have 2 to use.

That is...just...woah... :v

Troacctid
2014-12-27, 03:54 PM
Each twin only gains the benefit of one stance (unless it's like Bolstering Voice or something), so it's not like it's a big deal.