PDA

View Full Version : Party Support for an Aquatic Campaign

MagmaFyre
2014-12-26, 10:44 PM
DM is considering reworking the campaign to more of an aquatic/seafaring bent. Our current party consists of a warlock, a mountless paladin, a crossbow fighter, a psion/pyrokineticist, and me, the bronze dragon shaman. We are (mostly) level 4. If the campaign change goes through by party vote, the DM is letting us rework/reroll characters.

Now, I love my character deeply. She is a lot of fun and would be awesome in an aquatic campaign. However, I've had a character concept waiting for a campaign for it to shine in for some time. Which do you think makes a better seafaring support, a tanky dragon shaman geared towards healing, or a bard/swashbuckler/honorable dread pirate with decent cha int and dex (in that order)?

The pirate loses out on healing capabilities but can cover our lacking trapfinding abilities with a rogue dip and can fill in fairly well as a skill monkey.

The shaman will eventually grant allies waterbreathing for free, has decent healing that gets better with vitality, but few skills and took heavy armor proficiency so she's walking around in full plate.

Vhaidara
2014-12-26, 10:47 PM
Biggest question: Does "Aquatic" mean seafaring or actually underwater?

Seafaring: YOU HAVE A CHANCE TO USE DREAD PIRATE DOITDOITDOIT! Seriously, this is a PrC you will probably never have a good chance to use again.

Underwater: Dragon Shaman. Dread Pirate is going to be pretty useless underwater.

Troacctid
2014-12-26, 10:55 PM
I would go with the Dragon Shaman. Dread Pirate is ostensibly intended for seafaring campaigns, but all it actually does to help you at sea is give you a bonus to Profession (Sailor), which, frankly, is not worth investing class levels. I mean, you could just take a single level in Marshal for Motivate Wisdom and get a bigger boost for a smaller investment.

Dragon Shaman is nothing special either, but you're already playing and enjoying the character, and she fits just fine in an aquatic setting, so I don't see a compelling reason to switch.