PDA

View Full Version : Let's say I were designing Furbies as critters/familiars...

Bhu
2014-12-26, 11:33 PM
...what powers would you like to see them have?

atemu1234
2014-12-26, 11:57 PM
Ravens, probably.

Deaxsa
2014-12-26, 11:57 PM
An off button. More seriously, I guess I'd want them to be very much a novelty and understood as such, because the fact is, they have very little actual power. Take any pet: a dog can assist you in a hunt, a cat can clear a home of vermin, a goat can prodide milk, and even something like a teddy bear can provide comfort. Actually, do that. Make them really good at making people feel better, and don't label them furbies unless you want disproportionate hate aimed at them. (I used to see how much of a beating my sister's could take before the noises stopped, it was soooo annoying)

Snowbluff
2014-12-27, 01:53 AM
Yeah, furbies are resilient. A raven familiar is probably the closest, because they can speak. I might have it mixed with the toad for no flying and a bonus to your HP.

Barbarian Horde
2014-12-27, 03:41 AM
[Tiny Outsider] Chaotic Evil? CHaotic Neutral?
4d8: (16hp)
Armor Class: 17 (+2 size, +5 natural), touch 15, flat-footed 17
Abilitie Score: Str 10, Dex 10, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 18
Skills: Diplomacy +12, Hide +12, Knowledge (any one) +6, Listen +7, Move Silently +12, Search +6, Spellcraft +3, Spot +7, Survival +5
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +5
Special Abilities: damage reduction 10/adamatine, darkvision 60 ft.
Speed: 30ft
Full Attack/attack: bite +7 melee

Spell-Like Abilities: At will—detect good, True Seeing, invisibility (self only); 2/day—suggestion (DC 18)
Freeze (Ex): A furbie can hold itself so still it appears to be a statue. An observer must succeed on a DC 20 Spot check to notice the furbie is really alive.
Regeneration (Ex)Fire and acid deal normal damage to a furbie. If a furbie loses a limb or body part, the lost portion regrows in 3d6 minutes. The creature can reattach the severed member instantly by holding it to the stump.
Hard to kill, always watching, and scary.
I feel like if someone actually used this; the DM should roleplay the furbie.

I based this off another familiar. Re arranged a few things subtracted and added skills. I used the imp as primary source.

Coidzor
2014-12-27, 05:33 AM
Something like the Allip's babble ability or symbol of insanity, I suppose. Kenku's mimicry, maybe.

Kender's fearlessness and obliviousness to tact, common sense, or self-preservation would be in keeping as well, I suppose.

Mostly what I'd like would be for them to be incredibly satisfying to kill.

Judge_Worm
2014-12-27, 06:49 AM
Neutral Evil Construct, speaks common and one other language, also doubles as a soul gem or lich's phylactery. Were originally created by Yugoloths for torturing prisoners, became self aware and are now enacting a plan to conquer the lower realms. Since they cannot move of their own accord they are enthralling mages while pretending to be their familiars.
Stats wise: low strength, zero dex, no con, high low int, mediocre wis, high charisma.
Max ranks in blackspeech skill.

sideswipe
2014-12-27, 07:13 AM
start with raven, change to a construct, give the construct an int score.

give it the ability to once per day give moral bonus to all rolls for 1min/hd, and the same bonus but as a penalty for the rest of the day.
(as it is meant to be charming and make you happy, but most of the time is annoying and distracting)

Xelbiuj
2014-12-27, 07:44 AM
Language - furbish, common
Irresistible dance once per day

Brookshw
2014-12-27, 07:51 AM
Half construct template

Bhu
2014-12-29, 01:19 AM
I sense a certain Furby-phobia.

Coidzor
2014-12-29, 04:07 AM
I sense a certain Furby-phobia.

Well, they are most famous for being hated/creeping people out, right? :smallamused: