PDA

View Full Version : Blades of.... *hurls*

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-03-30, 12:54 AM
Thinking of seeing Blades of Glory? Maybe if you are female, otherwise just... don't. You may laugh alot on the outside but the man inside will be weeping.

Seriously, you will have nightmares for days no matter how comfortable you are in your masculinity. It's just wrong... on so many horrifying levels.

Jibbly jibbly jibbly jibbly...

Amotis
2007-03-30, 01:21 AM
Sounds fun.

ZeroNumerous
2007-03-30, 01:30 AM
I saw it recently. Personally, I thought it was funny. The jokes were just that, jokes. I personally didn't take any of them seriously.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-03-30, 08:12 AM
I saw it recently. Personally, I thought it was funny. The jokes were just that, jokes. I personally didn't take any of them seriously.
Err, duh? It was a comedy.

ampcptlogic
2007-03-30, 09:00 AM
I don't ever want to see it. Will Ferrell is funny about 50% of the time. John Heder is funny about 1% of the time. Between them, it looks be stupid and inane as well as a complete waste of time, money, and bandwidth.

Woot Spitum
2007-03-30, 09:14 AM
Is it anything like Zoolander, or is it far more uncomfortable? I can handle Zoolander.

Mauril Everleaf
2007-03-30, 09:19 AM
Is it anything like Zoolander, or is it far more uncomfortable? I can handle Zoolander.
Bandwidth? Hmmmm, sounds sketchy. Usually movies in a theater do not take up bandwidth, nor do DVDs in your home. :smallconfused:

Anyway, I have no pressing desire to see this movie. It looks amusing, and if my friends decide to go see it and invite me along, I won't say no. It won't be my suggestion, but I won't un-suggest it either.

You have a problem with male figure skaters, VT? :smallconfused:

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-03-30, 09:25 AM
Is it anything like Zoolander, or is it far more uncomfortable?
Never seen it.

Anyway, I have no pressing desire to see this movie. It looks amusing, and if my friends decide to go see it and invite me along, I won't say no. It won't be my suggestion, but I won't un-suggest it either.Yeah, I only barely agreed because my sister can take folks free since she works at the cinema.

You have a problem with male figure skaters, VT?Nope, I actually enjoy figure skating... but think of all the possible jokes, suggestions, nuances and scenarios that could possibly be made up for an all male figure skating duo... and this movie probably came up with those and more.

Woot Spitum
2007-03-30, 09:31 AM
Zoolander (starring Ben Stiller and Owen Wison) is about airheaded male models. Every preview of Blades of Glory that I've seen has reminded me of Zoolander. It is a hilarious movie (water guns filled with gasoline figure into the plot!).

Mauril Everleaf
2007-03-30, 09:49 AM
No, not water guns. They used actual gas pump nozzles. It was a "freak, gasoline fight accident."

Woot Spitum
2007-03-30, 09:52 AM
No, not water guns. They used actual gas pump nozzles. It was a "freak, gasoline fight accident."

I need to see the whole movie, I always end up watching it on TV and missing about half of it. And I keep missing the gasoline fight!:smallfurious: Every time I come in, Ben Stiller is eugoogliizing.

Druid
2007-03-30, 09:58 AM
Better or worse than the hotel scene in Borat? Because as gross as that was, I couldn't stop laughing.

slapdash
2007-03-30, 10:02 AM
I am mad crazy in love with Will Ferrell and hate that I have to wait till tomorrow to see this.

Midnight Son
2007-03-30, 11:50 AM
I never watch movies for which Will Ferrell is the star. He is an awesome bit character and makes such movies funnier. He works well as the co-star sometimes too.(Frank the Tank). He just sucks as the star. his brand of funny is only funny in small doses. Too much of it and it just becomes trite.

And Heder just sucks. SUCKS!!

Jack_Banzai
2007-03-30, 11:54 AM
Anchorman is such an acid test for this type of movie. Everyone either seems to love or hate it. The people who hate it say it is stupid, the folks who love it seem to get the point that it's supposed to be nonsensically surreal. I'll probably see Blades of Glory.

bosssmiley
2007-03-30, 06:09 PM
Thinking of seeing Blades of Glory? Maybe if you are female, otherwise just... don't. You may laugh alot on the outside but the man inside will be weeping.

Seriously, you will have nightmares for days no matter how comfortable you are in your masculinity. It's just wrong... on so many horrifying levels.

Jibbly jibbly jibbly jibbly...

Wow, I was all set to boycott this as merely another piece of Hollywood's Will Ferrell/Adam Sandler/Rob Schneider unfunny comedy output. But anything that can make the Tribblish Lord of Insanity twitch and jibber like that *has* to be seen. :smallamused:

Yea! though it may break my puny mind like an egg being broken upon a pan-edge, I must know this horror for myself.

"...or wonder, 'til it drives you mad
What would have happened if you had..." :smallwink:

FdL
2007-03-30, 06:59 PM
The SNL spinoff movies and actors that come from that show has been steadily decreasing in quality as time goes along. I think Will Ferrell is closer to being funny 0% of the time.

General Leitmann
2007-03-30, 07:15 PM
The people who hate it say it is stupid, the folks who love it seem to get the point that it's supposed to be nonsensically surreal.

See, I get the point of it, but it's still stupid. I liked Anchorman, however. But after Talledega Nights, I personally vow never to see another 'funny' Will Ferrel movie. Ever. Again.

Reptilus
2007-03-30, 07:32 PM
I'd respond to this thread more thoroughly, but now I have to go wash the elitist off me. Seriously. This is the internet. Have a little hygene, you guys. I don't want elitism getting all over me here. I expect it from John Keats poems, but this is going too far.

Scorpina
2007-03-31, 09:10 PM
Thinking of seeing Blades of Glory? Maybe if you are female, otherwise just... don't.

I find that offensive! Just because I'm a girl doesn't mean I have no sense of humour and/or terrible taste in films.

Even the 'Ask a Ninja' Ninja completely failed to sell Blades of Glory, so it really must suck.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-03-31, 09:15 PM
I find that offensive! Just because I'm a girl doesn't mean I have no sense of humour and/or terrible taste in films.
Eh? Was saying maybe gals wouldn't mind it because they might LIKE seeing two guys having to handle each other on the ice.

*goes into another, albeit briefer, round of jibblies*

Scorpina
2007-03-31, 09:22 PM
...apparently that came off more seriously than I intended. Damn text.

I can't imagine why a woman would enjoy that.

Sadly I know women who might.

*le sigh*

zeratul
2007-03-31, 09:23 PM
It just lookes bad. I want an anchorman two!

ask a ninja rocks

Andiamo
2007-03-31, 11:02 PM
Zoolander (starring Ben Stiller and Owen Wison) is about airheaded male models. Every preview of Blades of Glory that I've seen has reminded me of Zoolander. It is a hilarious movie (water guns filled with gasoline figure into the plot!).

Zoolander is one of the funniest movies ever. Everyone who hasn't seen it should go watch it right now. It is hilarious!

LCR
2007-04-01, 04:27 AM
Nope, I actually enjoy figure skating... but think of all the possible jokes, suggestions, nuances and scenarios that could possibly be made up for an all male figure skating duo... and this movie probably came up with those and more.

LOOK WHAT THE MOVIE DID TO YOU!!!!11

Edit: Whoo, I'm a pony. I like the new titles.

slapdash
2007-04-02, 08:41 AM
I LOL'd the whole time. Jon Heder was way better than I expected him to be. I only wish there was more Will Arnett and Amy Poehler.

sktarq
2007-04-03, 06:14 PM
I never watch movies for which Will Ferrell is the star.
Normally I compleatly agree with you but I'd actually recomend "Stranger than Ficton" which stars Will Farrel and is a comedy but is a very different brand of humour than he normally uses.

I'd respond to this thread more thoroughly, but now I have to go wash the elitist off me....but this is going too far.
Right you havn't been round the snootier parts of the internet then. I sugest going looking up the "Favorite written work" thread for some nice snobbiness versus "entertainment" as well as the eariest "300" thread for such disagreement. Besides what is wrong with demanding quality and finding slapstick, profane, infantile, and vacuous comidies to be unfunny because of such qualities? To be honest I can not enjoy the intelegent side of South Park or The Simpsons (more of the 90's simpsons golden age time) because while they do have some good humour it is bathed in the kind of "lowbrow" (for want of a better word) humor that I not only find not funny but annoying. And no I don't secretly watch it and have fun when nobody is looking-I flat out have to leave the room to preserve a decent mood. Elitist seems more of a way of attacking someone with tastes less vulgar than your own...Hence it seems perfectly at home on the internet.

Tharj TreeSmiter
2007-04-05, 12:41 PM
The typical Will Ferrel movies are just awefull, just as bad as Ben Stiller. Lame jokes, stupid puns, childish humor. When I was a kid I liked it (ala Pet detective) but now it's just annoying.

But I am going to see stranger than fiction it looks interesting.

AmoDman
2007-04-05, 11:38 PM
Anchorman is such an acid test for this type of movie. Everyone either seems to love or hate it. The people who hate it say it is stupid, the folks who love it seem to get the point that it's supposed to be nonsensically surreal. I'll probably see Blades of Glory.

Blades of Glory is nothing like Anchorman...it's more of an afterthought to Talladega, though IMO doesn't have nearly as much bang and strength as such (I really liked Talladega). It was an alright movie. If you like the trailer you will probably have at least an alright time spending an evening to go watch it (I don't know what Tribble was talking about, the gay jokes were un-responsive part of the movie for me...they weren't that funny or uncomfotable, just there and funny if they made people uncomfortable).

Personally, I do find Anchorman pretty funny, but you really have to be in the mood to watch it. I've seen it more times then I'd liked since my friends f'ing love it...It's greatest strength is the staying power of its quotes :smallwink:. But I digress, my favorite balls out comedy is probably either Wedding Crashers or Zoolander. Fantastic movies of their genre, each.

And people saying Will Ferrel only plays one type of comedy and character can just suck it - Anchorman, Kicking & Screaming, Elf, Stranger Than Fiction, Old School just to name some wildly divergent roles he's played. Honestly Old School was my least favorite role from him...it was kinda flat IMO. He made Kicking & Screaming. The writing and jokes sucked but his demeanor sold some pretty bad jokes. I was not a fan of Stranger Than Fiction (Even though I wanted to like it...). Elf is great.

Seonaid
2007-04-07, 01:54 PM
Blades was amusing but not nearly as good as Talladega Nights. I never saw Anchorman.

I would second the people who say that Stranger Than Fiction is worth seeing. It's not the best movie, but it's good. How can you go wrong with Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson anyway? :smallbiggrin:

Reptilus
2007-04-08, 09:10 PM
Besides what is wrong with demanding quality and finding slapstick, profane, infantile, and vacuous comidies to be unfunny because of such qualities?
What is wrong with finding someone who believes their vision of "quality" a statement of fact, rather than opinion, and demands "higher" forms of humor elitist. It is the implied attitude of being too good for a movie to which I object. There are things which I do not like, however, I do not respond to them with the arrogant disdain displayed by people in this thread. Instead, I respond to their arrogant disdain with my own arrogant disdain. I'm a metelitist.

Druid
2007-04-09, 08:01 PM
I liked this movie. It wasn't as good as Talladega Nights or Elf but still pretty funny. Also, the crotch jokes weren't nearly as prevalent as people here are suggesting.