PDA

View Full Version : If a player suggested using this homebrew rule, would you allow it?

magicalmagicman
2014-12-27, 12:02 AM
This is regarding a Robinson Crusoe scenario.

When wizards level up, they gain 2 spells because they researched it during their travels. But if they lose their spell book, the only way they can re-research those 2 spells is by leveling up again. In other words, at level 17, it will take them the same amount of effort to research 2 level 9 spells than to reserach 2 level 1 spells.

So what about this rule?

If you wish to re-research spells you've gained through level up, you must say you dedicate the next x amount of experience points to that research.

i.e. at level 2 you got magic missile and mage armor. So if you lose your spell book, you can re-add those spells to your spellbook after you've gained 1000xp. In other words, it took you 1000xp worth of adventuring to research those spells, so it will take you another 1000xp worth of adventuring to research those spells again.

For spells you got at level 9, you can re-add them to your spellbook after you get 8000xp.

No stacking though, so after 3000xp you don't get all your spells you researched form levels 2-4. Either levels 2 and 3, or just 4.

You still get your normal level up spells too. Since you're re-researching, shouldn't take as much effort.

For example, you're a level 10 wizard who lost your spell book. When you become level 11, in addition to the two level 6 spells you gain, you also re-learn two level 5 spells and two level 1 spells (9000+1000) you have previously learned at levels 10 and 2

Zanos
2014-12-27, 12:12 AM
I am deeply confused as to why anyone would use this if other wizards or scrolls are even remotely available. The scribing costs of lower level spells are trivial compared to even 1000 exp.

magicalmagicman
2014-12-27, 12:19 AM
I am deeply confused as to why anyone would use this if other wizards or scrolls are even remotely available. The scribing costs of lower level spells are trivial compared to even 1000 exp.

To clarify, you're not spending any xp. After you gain an additional 1000xp, you can re-learn spells you learned at level 2.

This is a robinson crusoe scenario, as in, you're left all alone in the wild, away from any civlization for a while. I made a thread about this DM before, but I want to propose this homebrew rule to him since he loves those campaigns, so i just want to double check with you guys if it's reasonable or not.

For those who want to suggest keeping backup spellbooks for this scenario, I already heard you clearly in my other thread :smallsmile:

Zanos
2014-12-27, 12:27 AM
Oh. Should be fine then. There's nothing really overpowered about adding spells you already had, and Wizards are actually kind of weak compared to other casters if you can't expand your spell repertoire beyond level up spells, although there are several ways around that that I believe were discussed in your other thread.

OldTrees1
2014-12-27, 09:31 AM
The intent is good: Letting wizards regain spells in a reasonable amount of time when plot calls for separation from spellbook.

I don't like the suggested mechanic since it seems too punishing if the wizard was not at fault (and yes, I get no xp is spent) and too easy if the wizard was at fault.

That said, for lack of a better mechanic, I would go with that one. I would probably amend it to gaining 1 1st level spell per 500xp rather than 2 per 1000xp.