PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Fair trade? [Barbarian Archetype question]

Tanuki Tales
2014-12-27, 12:48 AM
So, I had an idea for a Barbarian Archetype that basically swaps out the stat boosts/other stuff and the rage powers to instead gain access to a select number of powers from the Psychic Warrior power list as psi-like abilities. If it's something that targets only the Barbarian (like Biofeedback), it manifests automatically at the beginning of the rage and lasts until the rage ends (unless an augment or something similar extends it further), otherwise it's usable once per rage, following the normal rules for manifesting. These powers are also automatically augmented by a number of points equal to the Barbarian's level, if they can be augmented.

I'm just not sure if that's an even trade, since I know Rage Powers can be pretty awesome, especially when you get into Rage Cycling.

Vhaidara
2014-12-27, 12:55 AM
This sounds more like a Psionic archetype or bloodline for the Bloodrager.

What it sounds like you're saying is you trade Rage (since you seem to trade out everything it gives you) for the ability to activate a preset group of PsyWar powers as a free action

Tanuki Tales
2014-12-27, 01:03 AM

What it sounds like you're saying is you trade Rage (since you seem to trade out everything it gives you) for the ability to activate a preset group of PsyWar powers as a free action

I knew I didn't word the one part right; some of the preset would come online as a free action with a modified duration, but others would basically just be given as 1/rage psi-like abilities, following the rules for psi-like abilities normally.

Psyren
2014-12-27, 01:20 AM
Without knowing what the abilities you plan to give them are we can't really say. I mean, if you gave them Reality Revision as a PLA 1/rage that would obviously be more than a fair trade, but if they got Elfsight instead it would be pretty inadequate.

grarrrg
2014-12-27, 01:30 AM

^This
I'd lean more towards making it a Psionic Bloodrager variant.

Psyren
2014-12-27, 01:34 AM
...Mindrager?
...Cerebrager?
.....Empath?

deuxhero
2014-12-27, 01:46 AM
I'd suggest some variant of "psycho" but that's too negative and I think it's actually offensive (instead of merely insulting) in Europe.

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-27, 01:47 AM
Phrenic Bloodline?

Tanuki Tales
2014-12-27, 01:54 AM
Without knowing what the abilities you plan to give them are we can't really say. I mean, if you gave them Reality Revision as a PLA 1/rage that would obviously be more than a fair trade, but if they got Elfsight instead it would be pretty inadequate.

Initial idea was something like three powers (increasing to twelve at level 20) selected at level one from just the Psychic Warrior power list. This of course could be expanded upon if it's not enough, but I'm just spitballing here.

I also have not looked over the Bloodrager since the playtest, back when it was terrible.

Phillammon
2014-12-27, 07:30 PM
I will freely admit that I have very little experience with Barbarians in general, but this definitely seems conceptually quite neat- Hammer, Call Weaponry, and Claws of the Beast, off the top of my head, would make all make for interesting characters at early levels.

I would express the concern that the "Endorphin Rush" power might make it go a little full circle, but that's not really a problem as such. On the other hand, the fact rage cycling exists (as you pointed out) may make Hustle a bit broken- the benefits of a bonus move action per round every round are left as an exercise to the reader.