PDA

View Full Version : Wrath of the Righteous- Death/ changing of Mythic characters

Kol Korran
2014-12-27, 04:33 AM
Hey folks. I am running the Wrath of the Righteous campaign, and something occured to me awhile ago, but has become more relevant now, since we have upped the difficulty quite a bit:
- What do you do in case a mythic character dies (And the player don't want to be resurrected), or when a player just wants to change characters? We had such occasion, but it happened attached to the ascension event, so we tweaked some stuff, and went with it.

But the campaign is long, and some characters may well die, and at least one of my players has the habit of changing a character every 4-7 levels or so.

How did you justify, in terms of flavor, the coming of yet another mythic character, when these kind of characters are supposed to be so unique as to come about once in an era? Where was this character this entire time? What sort of flavor solutions have you found to this?

Dezea
2014-12-27, 04:51 AM
Hey folks. I am running the Wrath of the Righteous campaign, and something occured to me awhile ago, but has become more relevant now, since we have upped the difficulty quite a bit:
- What do you do in case a mythic character dies (And the player don't want to be resurrected), or when a player just wants to change characters? We had such occasion, but it happened attached to the ascension event, so we tweaked some stuff, and went with it.

But the campaign is long, and some characters may well die, and at least one of my players has the habit of changing a character every 4-7 levels or so.

How did you justify, in terms of flavor, the coming of yet another mythic character, when these kind of characters are supposed to be so unique as to come about once in an era? Where was this character this entire time? What sort of flavor solutions have you found to this?

Hey,

As you are being followed by a full army, that we can reasonably imagine are also fighting demons on their own, it's not at all impossible that a small elite unit of NPC could have undergo some mythic trial by themselves, and - HOW LUCKY - one of those guy could be exactly of the class your player wants !

That being said, It could work until 12-13 level at most, and would be hard to justify after.

Kol Korran
2014-12-27, 06:52 AM
Hey,

As you are being followed by a full army, that we can reasonably imagine are also fighting demons on their own, it's not at all impossible that a small elite unit of NPC could have undergo some mythic trial by themselves, and - HOW LUCKY - one of those guy could be exactly of the class your player wants !

That being said, It could work until 12-13 level at most, and would be hard to justify after.
There are two problems here as I see it:
1) Mythic ascension is supposed to be really, really rare, and the stuff of legends- if the character that had the mythic trial (and since then has done aa few other impressive feats to up mythic tiers)- why has no one heard about it up till now?
2) The AP sorts of gives two reasons for the mythic ascension- having the force of all of the wardstones imbed itself in the party (end of first module), or those Nyhandrian crystals (for the demons). It's sort of "our source of mythic power vs. yours" kinda thing. Bringing another source feels liek it cheapens it, and makes it far more common, where it is supposed to be something that happens like... once in an era or so?

I'm trying to find something that fits nicely with the story elements already presented, or something that will compliment them, without feeling forced...

Dezea
2014-12-27, 07:42 AM
There are two problems here as I see it:
1) Mythic ascension is supposed to be really, really rare, and the stuff of legends- if the character that had the mythic trial (and since then has done aa few other impressive feats to up mythic tiers)- why has no one heard about it up till now?
2) The AP sorts of gives two reasons for the mythic ascension- having the force of all of the wardstones imbed itself in the party (end of first module), or those Nyhandrian crystals (for the demons). It's sort of "our source of mythic power vs. yours" kinda thing. Bringing another source feels liek it cheapens it, and makes it far more common, where it is supposed to be something that happens like... once in an era or so?

I'm trying to find something that fits nicely with the story elements already presented, or something that will compliment them, without feeling forced...

Maybe a survivor from the fourth crusade ? A hero of the last war who decided to retire after the horror he faced. Even if a mythic heroes is something bound to be rare, there is great RP opportunities to get from such a character : o

Karsh
2014-12-27, 08:36 AM
This is kind of a single use idea, but what about an escaped prisoner from the Midnight Isles? They were one of the first to be exposed to a Nyhindrian crystal, but survived the agonizing transformation. Now they've escaped and are looking for revenge.

I would say that is also possible that someone else on the border was imbued with mythic power when the wardstones went dormant. Maybe they were the only one nearby when it happened, so they got an extra jolt of power that explains why they are the same tier as the party.