PDA

View Full Version : Prequel: Order of the Scribble

AbyssStalker
2014-12-27, 09:28 AM
Is anyone else hoping for this? Or would it be too soon :smile:.

But no really, I would love to see at least one adventure with them, although they probably wouldn't be as funny as the OOTS.

2.5 cats
2014-12-27, 10:36 AM
Totally! It might be more appropriate after the Order reaches Kragaar's Gate, and we get to learn a bit more about the backstory in-comic.

Cizak
2014-12-27, 11:18 AM
I believe Rich has stated that no, there won't be a Scribble prequel. Their story is too important and needs to be in the main storyline.

Edit: The Index is great as always. It's stated in the Geekademia interview. (http://podcasts.non-productive.com/index.php?id=542)

Jesse: Do you think you may do a prequel book about the Order of the Scribble someday, or is that not something you're sure about?

Rich: I wouldn't rule it out, but I don't currently have any plans to and I wouldn't know what I would do with it. I think the main thrust of their story needs to be included in the online strip. You need to know exactly what happened all that time ago that made them so angry at each other in order to understand the main story. So therefore I wouldn't want to shunt it to a side book. When it needs to be told, it needs to be front and center, and then once it's been told, it'll influence what people think about the characters after that.

So I wouldn't want it to be. . . I had told much of the story, much of the things that Redcloak revealed to Tsukiko in the recent strip about how he was tricking Xykon was already known by people who had read Start of Darkness. But it didn't sort of change what was going to happen next for them to have known it separately. But anything about the Order of the Scribble isn't really like that. It's important in a way that would change things, and therefore it can't be let out of the bag early. But by the same token, I wouldn't object to writing a story of them just fighting Baron Pineapple, or something like that. Certainly wouldn't have any problems with that, but I think the main conflict between them is gonna be in the main comic at some point.

NerdyKris
2014-12-27, 11:18 AM
He stated in a Kickstarter interview (linked in the index of comments thread) that the Order of the Scribble's quest would not be a prequel book, as it is too central to the story. Their story will be told in the main online comic.

Jesse: Do you think you may do a prequel book about the Order of the Scribble someday, or is that not something you're sure about?

Rich: I wouldn't rule it out, but I don't currently have any plans to and I wouldn't know what I would do with it. I think the main thrust of their story needs to be included in the online strip. You need to know exactly what happened all that time ago that made them so angry at each other in order to understand the main story. So therefore I wouldn't want to shunt it to a side book. When it needs to be told, it needs to be front and center, and then once it's been told, it'll influence what people think about the characters after that.

So I wouldn't want it to be. . . I had told much of the story, much of the things that Redcloak revealed to Tsukiko in the recent strip about how he was tricking Xykon was already known by people who had read Start of Darkness. But it didn't sort of change what was going to happen next for them to have known it separately. But anything about the Order of the Scribble isn't really like that. It's important in a way that would change things, and therefore it can't be let out of the bag early. But by the same token, I wouldn't object to writing a story of them just fighting Baron Pineapple, or something like that. Certainly wouldn't have any problems with that, but I think the main conflict between them is gonna be in the main comic at some point.

Note that this doesn't rule out a different Scribble story, but it's not the third book hinted at so many years ago in NCftPB.

AbyssStalker
2014-12-27, 11:29 AM
He stated in a Kickstarter interview (linked in the index of comments thread) that the Order of the Scribble's quest would not be a prequel book, as it is too central to the story. Their story will be told in the main online comic.

Well hopefully he goes into greater depth, we still don't know much about them other than their quest and how their group fell apart. Makes me wonder how the OOTS is going to end, are they going to separate like the original group? We know it is almost certain that Elan and Haley are going to stick together but what about the rest? What is Roy going to do?

Keltest
2014-12-27, 11:30 AM
Well hopefully he goes into greater depth, we still don't know much about them other than their quest and how their group fell apart. Makes me wonder how the OOTS is going to end, are they going to separate like the original group? We know it is almost certain that Elan and Haley are going to stick together but what about the rest? What is Roy going to do?

I suspect we shall find out the ending somewhat closer to the end.

NerdyKris
2014-12-27, 11:43 AM

Well I think it's pretty much a given that he is going to go into greater depth, given that we know nothing about them and the interview was done after Soon's ghost, immediately before Girard's family reveal, and I wouldn't call any of that "front and center" or covering what happened.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-12-27, 03:51 PM
I think we will find out more about them in-comic, not as a prequel. One prequel book I would like to see is a Vector Legion/Linear Guild book.

137beth
2014-12-28, 02:41 AM
If there is another prequel (IIRC there are plans for one more plot-relevant book outside the main strips, but I don't remember if the author ever confirmed if it was a prequel), my guess is that it would be about either the Linear Guild or the Vector Legions. Or both. Maybe it will finally confirm the popular suspicion that Laurin is Spiky.

Unisus
2014-12-28, 08:36 AM
Actually, IF there will be another (print-only) prequel, it will NOT be plot-relevant but canonically fitting.

What i want to say is: the prequels we have so far (and i guess this will be true for any future prequels as well) may have a part in enriching the story, but they are not necessary for it.

That is exactly, why the Giant said there wouldn't be a prequel about the Order of the Scribble and the Snarl/rifts/gates - this is too important for the story to put it outside of the main-line.

AbyssStalker
2014-12-28, 03:33 PM
Well, a prequel featuring Julio would be nice, possibly showing a few of the times he rescued Tarquin's wives or his backstory.