PDA

View Full Version : My World First Homebrew, would appreciate feedback.

pfm1995
2014-12-27, 04:08 PM
Hey all,

I'm working on my first homebrew world and would appreciate some comments/criticisms from people who have been around the block a few times. (I'm a Pathfinder player, so you'll see a bit of that bias lying around.) Here goes:

Basic Concept: I wanted to create a world that's a bit, well, dystopian. I've been playing a Shadowrun game for a little while now and I wanted to bring some of that sense of pettiness, danger, and selling your body and soul to the highest bidder to Dnd. To that end, a large part of this world focuses on the need to make ugly choices to do more than stare at the southern end of a north-bound plow horse for the rest of your short life.

Basic Cosmology:

I'll start with the cosmology, as, to me, that's one of the largest parts of what makes this world unique. First off: there are no cosmological epitomes of good an evil. No angels, devils, daemons, or anything of the sort. This world is much more about new vs. old and law vs. chaos than it is about good vs. evil. Second big point: No one knows what the afterlife looks like (or even if there is one). Resurrection magic is rare (focus of a campaign rare), the few who have been resurrected can't remember, and Death and his psychopomps aren't talking.

Gods:

The gods of this world are divided up into two broad categories: New and Old Gods. This really only means one thing: all of the new gods were, at some point, mortal. How they became gods is the subject of endless amounts of philosophical debate.

New Gods: The new gods are the gods of mortal life, gods of rebellion, rulership, thievery, or simple survival. However, because they were once mortal, the new gods tend to be more than their respective domains. They are petty, arrogant, and argumentative, just like the mortals who worship them. In game terms, the new gods act exactly the same as the gods of the standard setting; there are no rule changes.

Old Gods: The old gods are the nature spirits of the world. They were before, and will be after. Gods of the sea, the sun, a lake, or even a single tree are all old gods. In game terms, the old gods have some small changes. First off, worship of the old gods requires sacrifice. Anything from a few drops of blood or gold coins to lives, power comes with a price. On the upside, the old gods couldn't care less about alignment. What you do with the power is up to you, as long as you pay for it. Additionally, a cleric of the old gods can provide a larger than necessary sacrifice to increase his caster level. This sacrifice must be offered at the time of casting the spell. (I would love some help balancing this for gameplay.)

I mentioned Death before, and I feel I should describe him a bit. Death is personified, he is the grim reaper and the ferrier of souls. No-one's quite sure where Death falls on the cosmic periodic table; whether Death is an old or a new god is an academic question. Death grants no boons to his worshipers, nor does them any favors. He simply is.

Other Entities:

There are two supernatural races that share the world (or reflections of it) with mortals. These are the fey and the corner-kin.

I love the saying (I think I read it in a Simon Greene novel when I was younger) that the fey took a step to the left of the sun. The fey inhabit a world that is shaped by our own, and they embody that same relationship with mortals. Many organize themselves into great realms, such as the Courts of the Seasons or the Elemental Caliphates. Many more live independent of court politics, instead residing in isolated baronies. For example, the fey lord of a moor which sees near-constant border wars may have dual, opposed personalities and be attended by redcaps and other fey born out of violence and blood. Many tend to be extremely superstitious.

The corner-kin (so called because they live in the corners of the world; and otherwise known as the dwellers in darkness, the sleepers, or 'why it's a bad idea to mine under that hill') are my Lovecraftian horrors. They feed off of secrets kept and live in places no mortal sees twice, or at least the lesser ones do. The elders are entirely unknowable, save that they glide under the skin of the world. They are the purview of the ignorant, the desperate, and the insane.

Magic:

I've already discussed divine magic, so this section will focus on arcane magic.
I wanted to include elements of Faustian bargains in the magic system, and this is what I came up with:

Long ago, when the first mortal walked the earth as a new god, the old gods were indifferent. When mortals began to flock to these new, less bloody religions, the old gods grew concerned. And so they decided in council to punish the mortals for their betrayal. But, for the first time, they had opposition. The old gods of the sea and storms sent gales to wreck ships, and the followers of the new god of shipbuilding and carpentry built better ships. Earthquakes leveled buildings, and masons build better buildings. The power of the old gods was greater, but the old gods had never had to fight and scrape for power like the new gods had. As the war dragged on more and more people died, and it became clear to the new gods that, in order to save the source of their power, something drastic would need to be done. So they planned, and they did what all though impossible. They killed an old god. Not any old god, but the old got of patterns, who's purview was the path of a falling leaf, the scattering of sand, and the other patterns which make up the world. His art became a science, and the first to master them became the wizards. But the god had worshipers, worshipers who found that, despite their god having traveled with Death, power remained. These were the first sorcerers.

Wizards: Wizards represent the only non-martial way for a mortal to claw his way out of the muck without trading his life to foreign powers. Unfortunately, magic is rare, magical schools rarer, and those that do exist charge usurious prices for their knowledge. After all, the only alternative is digging through ancient ruins, and who would be stupid enough to do that without an army at their back? In game terms, the wizard no longer automatically learns spells at any level beyond first. They have to go out and get them the hard way. On the upside, your power is your own, and none can take it from you without also taking your life.

Sorcerers: Sorcerers are the other side of the magical coin. There are two ways to become a sorcerer: you either make a deal with a fey or corner-kin, or you are a direct descendent of one of the clerics of the god of patterns. In game terms, the sorcerer has no mechanical changes. However, he does gain responsibilities which are very difficult to shirk. If the sorcerer made a deal with a fey or corner-kin, he now belongs to that creature. They say jump, he says how high (or from what). They may not interfere at first, but eventually they will expect a return on their investment. Disobeying your master results in the master wanting his power back, and given that your power was given to you he likely has a lot more to spare (i.e. RUN!). If you are born a sorcerer, you are born into an ancient, cult-like family who likely has very strong ideas on what you should and should not be doing. Disobeying the matriarch/patriarch/ruling council results in turning your entire clan against you, along with the centuries of accumulated influence and power they possess.

A note on necromancy and resurrection magic: Resurrection is an extremely powerful spell and, despite it's utility, is extremely rare. Almost every civilization advanced enough to have created a language has outlawed it entirely. The reason for this is the cost. Resurrection is extremely old magic, and the price of bringing someone back from the dead is the life of a close blood relative (anything farther out than a cousin won't work). In contrast, necromancy, while outlawed at least partially in most civilized places, is not inherently evil. Necromancers play a game with Death, cheating him of as much of his due as possible and attempting to return the semblance of lost life to the world. Not inherently evil, but not inherently good either. Most truly powerful necromancy spells have a high cost in human lives (ex. lichdom).

Races:

I've always felt that elves were a bit too similar to fey for me, so I threw them out. For a bit of balance, and because I feel they're overdone, I threw out orcs too. The main races are humans, dwarves, goblins, and ogres. Other natural sapient creatures are extremely rare, with giants being the most common.

Humans: Standard.

Dwarves: I came close to throwing out dwarves too, but when I got to thinking about it I realized they had a very natural place in this world. (Also, I couldn't resist the idea of stringing along players until they realise they're playing through my Dwarf Fortress game.) Dwarven social structure is based on Dwarf Fortress, as is their predisposition to fey moods and group madness. They serve the old god of stone and caves, and they tend to adopt an attitude of 'my race before my city before my clan before me'. Remember that old gods require sacrifices, and more than a few of those fey moods are likely the result of corner-kin influence.

Goblins: The average goblin lifespan is about four years. Any goblin older than five is an elder worth of great respect. This isn't so much a result of old age as it is a result of having a near-racial lack of common sense. (Their actual lifespan is about 15 years, so it's more of a "Ah, what the hell, I don't get that long of a lifespan anyway." syndrome.) They tend to form close-knit communities inside other-races cities and work jobs too dangerous or unpleasant for anyone else. In war they are, at worst, cannon fodder and, at best, beast tamers. They consider horses and cats delicacies. Most goblins worship their own new god (there is only one goblin new god and as a result he is one of the most powerful), those that don't tend towards the old ways.

Ogres and half-ogres: Ogres are big and lumbering, but they're no more stupid than any other intelligent race. I love the Games Workshop idea of an Ogre's power being linked to what and how much he eats, and I tried to combine that with the system set up above. Most ogre churches have a designated vessel of whichever god they're worshiping. If an old god, all sacrifices (even the metal ones) are fed to the vessel (who can usually be identified by the intricate tattoos or leather belts covering his stomach). If they worship a new god (the god of chefs is an ogre and is very popular), they tend to offer homemade dishes to the vessel on feast days. This spills over into ogre culture as well, most Ogre gatherings involve feasts. In cities ogres tend to be heavy laborers or farmers, though more than a few make a living as bodyguards or chefs. In the wilds Ogres tend to form tribes and clans. There are a few Ogre civilizations, ranging from loose coalitions of raiding parties to monks high in the mountains focused on enlightenment through voluntary starvation.

Changelings and The Motherless: Fey children are incredibly rare, yet it happens that a fey finds him or herself longing for the child-rearing experience. They then steal mortal children, leaving a dummy made of sticks in their place, and raid them in the fey realm. All children must grow up, though, and many eventually chose to leave the fey realm to find their fortunes. These are the changelings, exploring our world for the first time. They tend to be wanderers and are often surprised at the fevor with which most mortals go about their lives. In game terms, they are equivalent to aasimar (the azata-blooded variant in particular). The Motherless are their sleeper equivalent. Corner-kin blooded, they are named the Motherless because almost all mortal mothers die in childbirth, and those mothers who are not mortal are never seen outside the family. They are often even more mistrusted than Changelings, and so take precautions to hide their deformities or live in a place they will not be judged for them. In game terms they are equivalent to tieflings.

A note on Sacrifices:

I wanted to elaborate a little bit on where I'm coming from with the sacrifice mechanic. Because all souls go with Death to only-he-knows-where, there is none of the jockeying for mortal souls that most d20 worlds see. Because of this, the value of a mortal life lies in what he does with it. Sacrifices of wealth or items, then, represent the portion of your potential that was necessary to acquire that item, plus the expenditure needed to craft it in the first place. When you sacrifice blood, you are sacrificing (at least symbolically) a portion of your life. Similarly, sacrificing a life is an offering, not only of the person and all the coincidences and work that brought him to this point, but also of all the things he might have one day done. The progression goes kind of like this: gold coins < drops of blood < a masterwork item < a pint of blood < an animal life < a human life.

And that's it. Let me know what you think, be cruel to be kind.

ReturnOfTheKing
2014-12-28, 07:09 PM
It's interesting, but there's not enough of it to say anything more than that. How about telling us a bit of history, a few locations, maybe a map if you've got one? What's this place about? Who, or what, defined it? Does it have heroes? Antiheroes, given the nature of the setting? Villains?

Furthermore, why is this a place of tough choices and shades of grey? Is there a good reason for people to be morally ambiguous? Does a tyrannical government oppress the people? Is it a gritty place where survival is difficult, like Dark Sun? Are politics involved as in Eberron? Was there, or is there, a war?

Hope that helps. Good luck on this :smallsmile:

pfm1995
2014-12-28, 10:23 PM
I didn't have these things as fleshed out, but here goes. Maybe things will start falling in line as I write.

All of the campaigns I've pictured occurring in this world have occurred around the rise and fall of a single empire. This empire (still unnamed) conquered (almost) three continents before finally collapsing. A brief, and very rough, timeline; by the count of the empire.

Year 1 - Empire founded after a group of mercenaries rescue the city of Redwaters (so named because of the iron deposits which turn the neighboring lake red) from barbarian raiders - then never leave. Two orders are founded, the Orders of the Lion and the Dragon. The first is an order of paladins sworn to protect the royal family, the second an order of spies and assassins.

Year 50 - The first emperor dies, leaving the empire to his son. At this point the empire has wiped out or assimilated the neighboring barbarian tribes and has begun to look towards the lowlands for their food supplies. Expansion continues until the entirety of their island continent has been assimilated. At this point, demographics (and the rule of law) favor humans above any other race.

Year 80 - Trading posts are established with the kingdom of Mersin.

Year 110 - Reign of the Third Emperor. The rulers of Mersin, worried about how influential the foreign traders are becoming, seize most of their goods and throw the traders out. When the traders return, they come with legions. The former rulers of Mersin are thrown down to work besides their slaves.

Year 150 - Majority of fertile land in Mersin is a contributing part of the empire. Pirate attacks along the coast remain a problem, as do dissidents.

Year 200 - Reign of the Fourth Emperor. Revolt in the homeland, by the non-human races. Rather than stop the revolt, the Dragons, under orders from the Emperor, encourage it to new heights of violence in outlying cities. The army then moves in and wipes out any non-human even tangentially involved. Contact is made with an oligarchy on a third continent, who promptly behead the messengers as heretics. Before war can be officially declared, the Emperor dies.

Year 202 - Reign of the Fifth Emperor. Taxes are raised across the empire to fund a new war front. Landed nobles and prominent merchant houses begin to bribe officials for positions in the military, in order to insure first access to new resources. Dissident activity in Mercin increases.

Year 210 - Incompetence in military high command results in unprecedented loss of life, though the oligarchy falls. The other cities, smelling what's in the air, pool their resources and hire ever mercenary they can find.

Year 212 - In the face of this unexpected opposition, taxes are raised again. Mercin erupts in open rebellion.

Year 215 - Every overseas province the Empire holds is now either in rebellion or cut off from any support. The Fourth Emperor dies in his sleep, leaving his 19 year old son the throne.

Year 216 - Fearing the chaos will soon reach the mainland, the prince and the most powerful wizards in the country (having appointed themselves to advisory positions after the fall of the merchant houses) decide to play defense, and the wizards cast a truly massive abjuration surrounding the entire island continent in disorienting mists. No one comes in, no one goes out.

Year 218 - The economy of the empire collapses. A magical plague rushes through the capitol, killing two in ten people including the entire royal line. The capitol is abandoned. The wizards fill the power void, establishing city states throughout the island continent.

Year 220 - The wizard city states go to war. The magical forces unleashed change the geography of the continent altogether.

Year 227 - The people finally have had enough, and storm the wizard towers Franekstein-style. Most books containing magical lore are burned (as are many of their owners.)

Year 330 - Present Day. The Mist has begun to fade.

A few cities:

Redwaters - Once inhabited by tens of thousands, the city is now a corpse, and is inhabited by corpses. The few that return from there speak of plague victims going about a mockery of their daily lives, like a poor mummer's show. Rumors of a necromancer persist, but none possess the inclination or the power to test that theory.

Bern - South of Redwaters and situated at the fork in a river, Bern is one of the largest cities remaining. Many of those who fled the capitol settled here, turning a city renowned for artistic pursuits into one where the privileged and the not are separated by as much as twenty-foot walls or as little as a loaf of bread. Law is kept by the Order of the Broken Throne, a group of merciless knights dedicated to justice - at any cost. A secret known to few is that the Order is actually the remnants of the Order of the Lion, whose members found that keeping order in a city and keeping the vows of a paladin were mutually exclusive. Also has the largest public library remaining on the continent.

Kvera - High in the mountains, the Kverans found themselves at the mercy of a trio of wizards who demanded every man of fighting age serve in their army. Desperate to keep their sons and grandsons alive, the elders of Kvera made a deal with something. The wizards died gruesome deaths, and ever since that day every family has kept a room, floor, or entire wing dedicated to 'the spirits of their ancestors'.

Mersica - Inspired by Istanbul, Mersica is a beautiful city kept alive by virtue of being at the mouth of one of the few rivers running around the Kehamer desert wide enough to transport cargo. Any campaign taking place here would do so at about Founding 210 - 211.

The campaign ideas I've been kicking around: I have three, going from most to least detailed.

Number 1: Discovery: Adrift at sea after a pirate attack, the players find themselves drifting into a fog bang. Two days later they bump into shore. After raiding an nearby abandoned (mostly) farmhouse for supplies, they proceed to a frontier town, and from there up the river to Bern. Here they discover that they are walking on the ruins of an empire. It quickly becomes clear, though, that there is a large and well-connected faction who is terrified of the idea of outsiders, and the parties investigations into their attackers (or just their lust for knowledge and treasure) will take them all over the island continent and eventually into the old capitol itself.

The general feeling I'm trying to create in the above idea is post-roman Europe. People know a great civilization existed here, they know life used to be better. Even if they can't read they can see the stonework and walk along the roads far more straight and level than any road that can be built today. More than that, people aren't even trying to go back. The past is full of pain for most, and people would rather just get on with their lives. Exploration and making a difference will take a lot more than killing a linnorm.

Number 2: Rebellion. This takes place in Mersica, at around Founding 210. The players are set to be sold as slaves the next day, when their guards are killed and they are set free by a mysterious group. The slaves (with or without the players) rush the exit, to be promptly massacred by the city guard. It quickly becomes clear that the group were a faction of what were once Mercian Loyalists, and had used the slaves as a distraction. The players, by virtue of having survived, are offered membership. It quickly becomes clear, though, that surviving for this long cost the Loyalists dearly. Over the years they've made darker and darker deals just to stay a fighting force. The alternative, though, it the corrupt city government and the merchant houses who truly rule, though there are rumors of secretive individuals with ouroboros tattoos who can command even them. And then there's the increasing numbers of clerics worshiping the desert, herself - and having their prayers answered.

The feeling I'm working towards with this campaign is the idea that the players never have any idea who's side they're truly on. It looks like a diamond, dozens of different facets all mixing and mashing to create hundreds more. Furthermore, regardless of what the players do, rebellion comes. The players will have to chose between surviving the night and working towards an ideal.

Number 3: The players play as newly-hired mercenaries in the army of the outlying oligarchy city-states. Assigned to The Irregulars and sent to serve in the marshes and pine forests in the north, they find themselves fighting tooth and nail against the best and the worst of the Empire's legions, and even occasionally against other mercenary companies.

This is the lightest campaign of the bunch, with a very Prachett-esque feel in the composition of The Irregulars. The villains, here, are fairly clear cut, but the players are still serving an oligarchy. They will be ordered to do things they won't agree with, whether for moral reasons or because they can see that it's a stupid decision.

ReturnOfTheKing
2014-12-29, 01:37 PM
OK, that's better. To sum up: after the fall of a mighty empire, an island-continent is shrouded in a magical fog that prevents anyone getting in or out, and the various factions that emerged from the empire's collapse vie for power. Never underestimate a good tagline.

Just a couple things. First of all, in your first campaign, the heroes enter the continent from outside. How is that possible if the fog prevents travel to and from the continent? Secondly, why do all campaigns set in Mercia have to take place in a specific timezone? Wouldn't that be DM's call?

Don't forget, any good campaign setting has to have a sense of place. It has to be a world, one that seems complicated and adventurous, somewhere that doesn't seem like words on a page but feels like a place you can explore or touch or experience. Actually, that kind of goes for any fictional world.

jqavins
2014-12-29, 01:43 PM
On the subject of sacrifice:
I wanted to elaborate a little bit on where I'm coming from with the sacrifice mechanic. Because all souls go with Death to only-he-knows-where, there is none of the jockeying for mortal souls that most d20 worlds see. Because of this, the value of a mortal life lies in what he does with it. Sacrifices of wealth or items, then, represent the portion of your potential that was necessary to acquire that item, plus the expenditure needed to craft it in the first place. When you sacrifice blood, you are sacrificing (at least symbolically) a portion of your life. Similarly, sacrificing a life is an offering, not only of the person and all the coincidences and work that brought him to this point, but also of all the things he might have one day done. The progression goes kind of like this: gold coins < drops of blood < a masterwork item < a pint of blood < an animal life < a human life.
Since there is no "competition for souls," what do the gods get out of these sacrifices? Let me clarify that question: You've said that the sacrifice represents giving up some (or all) of a person's potential, but why does the god want the mortal to give that up? Is it of value to the god, and if so, how? Is it simply a demonstration of faith and/or devotion, and if so, again, why does the god want this?

Finally, when it comes to increasing the sacrifice offered for a spell in order to increase the spell's power, that needs to be handled carefully for mechanical reasons; it has to be difficult, tactically costly, and/or of limited availability or else characters will do it all the time. I'd suggest, just by way of example

A blood sacrifice worth 1d4+4 hit points
It can only be done 5 times per week
The first time in a day costs only two hit points, but the second time costs four hit points, the third time costs eight, the fourth time 16, and so on
Casting time is doubled or more
Think up more possibilities of your own
Maybe even combine aspects, like HP cost and increased casting time, or other possible combinations

If it's just a few extra drops of blood or a handful of gold then I don't think you'll ever see a non-boosted spell cast.

pfm1995
2014-12-30, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the ideas! I'll be the first to admit I have no expierience messing with cruch and I appreciate the help. The main thing stopping sacrifieces from being used all the time is the idea that the sacrifice has to be in excess of the sacrifice used to pay for the spells in the first place. For example, a few drops of blood might be worth a +1 caster level on a level 1 spell, but would be worth absolutely nothing on a level 3 or higher spell. In my head I picture it as a kind of exponential curve, with each progressive level of sacrifices beign worth so much more than the tier below that the added sacrifice is valueless in comparison.The biggest problem with that approach, that I see, is that high level sacrifices may seem (or even be) unplayable due to the costs (though it does add some very interesting roleplaying elements).

As to your first question; if I was pressed on the subject I would say that the accumulated 'potential juice' is what empowers the old gods in the first place. New gods, on the other hand, have their own resevoirs as they were mortal to begin with. I'm not sold on this explanation though, I just can't come up with a better one off of he top of my head.

Honest Tiefling
2014-12-30, 11:28 PM
Quick question, what is Law and Chaos in terms of this world?

Also, your corner-kin horrors sound great. I'd like to see more of them. What relationship do the fey and corner-kin have with the mortal races?

If sacrifice gets you power, can you sacrifice to yourself, or is it a power only gods have? Can other beings tap into this?

pfm1995
2014-12-31, 12:30 AM
I see law as a stable, generally conservative and opressive monarchy, possibly with an absolutely labyrinthine burocracy backing it up. Chaos, on the other hand, is the free-willed, individualistic, artistic anarchy that's more than a bit too idealistic for it's own good and tends to suck at long-term planning. Chosing which you support is more choosing which is the lesser of the two evils. Think V for Vendetta (comic book, not movie), or more recently and less Western, Psycho-Pass.

The corner-kin, coming from the grand old Lovecraft tradition, tend to interact with isolated people; whether that's emotionally (like a newcomer or just someone without any friends/support network) or physically (like a town way out in the boonies like Innsmouth or Dunwich). Something I just thought of is the first thing they do is drive away the local fey or change them to suit their purpose (the fey are affected by the emotional background of a place and the corner-kin aren't, or at least aren't to the same extent). The dwarves probably have the most expierience dealing with them, given their propensity for isolationism and digging into dark places. Goblins are probably the least expierienced, due to their strongly communal natures. So you see loners and drifters gathering together into wierd cults, or artists waking up after a week of nightmares to work themselves to death on a final masterpiece. Maybe even some wierder stuff, like dreams or fantasies coming to life.

The fey are a bit more involved in day-to-day mortal life. You see a lot of real-world traditions where people leave out small gifts or follow certain rituals to appease fey and make life easier or help a harvest. Even the idea of horseshoes being lucky comes from an old tradition for warding off evil fey, and I wanted to include elements of that. All but the most powerful fey life in strictly defined areas, and tend to have, if not regular, then at least semi-frequent contact with mortals (usually children, as fey find them easier to understand). This means that one area's fey can be drastically different in temperment than another's, though over a wider area they'll share similar traits. Fey also tend to model themselves after mortal society and will occasionaly invite mortals to their courts (with generally disasterous results for the mortals) as fashion consultants. Lesser fey often go in the other direction and imitate mortal lives (see tommyknockers, klaubautermann, or Domovoi). It's also possible for wandering mortals to accedentally pass into the fey lands. Finally, some fey will actively seek out mortal agents, either due to longstanding agreement or because the many and varied protocols of the fey courts force them to use patsies. Something I should have emphaised back when I was talking about the sorcerer is that it costs the fey greatly to give mortals that much power; even the most powerful fey could only have five or six sorcerers supported at once. If you're looking for a more modern interpretation/inspiration than old English fairy tales, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell is an excellent book and it's fairies are exactly what I'm going for.

This is one of the reasons I was going back and forth on nailing down why sacrifices were important. I understand the need for internal consistency but not even the highest of the high priests has any idea why sacrifices are necessary. I would say that no, you can''t sacrifice to yourself. Again off of the top of my head, the idea of sacrifice could be taken as returning that energy to the earth (the old gods being nature spirits of various forms). Or, it could have evolved from early farmers or even hunter gatherer's shedding blood over particularly important patches of land. Maybe it evolved as a 'take him and not me' scenario, or even a Cain and Abel-esque contest over who could find the best sacrifice. I don't know yet, if you have any ideas I'd love to hear them.