PDA

View Full Version : Syrium's Rejunction [Spell]

Reinboom
2007-03-30, 09:50 AM
This is a spell I wish to use with an NPC, obtainable by the PCs only if they manage to obtain this NPC's spellbook, in a specific campaign. It's supposed to fit the near opposite of Mordenkainen's Disjunction.
The function is simple, specific, and yet powerful.

Syrium's Rejunction
Abjuration
Level: Sor/Wiz 9
Components: V, S, XP* (see text)
Casting Time: 10 Minutes
Range: Touch
Target: Item
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No
The touched item, or items pieces will rejoin and mend themselves to their last refined state. If the item was previously stripped of magical properties as by a Mordenkainen's Disjunction spell, these properties will be restored and replace any magic currently occupying the item. For most items, this will drain the user of 750 XP, the exception being for artifacts.
This spell can be used to restore the properties of artifacts, although doing so drains the caster. The cost of Syrium's Rejunction for restoring artifacts is 5,000 XP for minor artifacts or 20,000 XP for major artifacts.
If an artifact that was restored this way lost it's power to Mordenkainen's Disjunction and the being who cast the original spell lost their power, there is a 20% chance they will unexplainably be met with the original spell casting abilities once again.
The restoration of certain artifacts may attract the attentions of gods, or other powerful beings.

Fax Celestis
2007-03-30, 09:53 AM
The one problem I have here is that this opens up Disjunction abuse, where the wizard fires one off the first round of every combat to strip his opponent's gear down to nothing, and then just puts it back together again afterwards. Disjunction is largely balanced by the fact that, once done, it can't be undone. I'd be more inclined to like this if it had an XP cost per item (probably about 750 xp), so that it'd actually cost something to use that tactic.

Reinboom
2007-03-30, 10:05 AM
I respect that opinion, though it will not be a penalty in the campaign I will use this in.
Disjunction will be banned from use, for story reasons, due to an event that occurred because of it. There will only be 1 NPC that will have it, and -most likely- will not fight the PCs.

changed the spell description to having 750 exp loss.