PDA

View Full Version : Horrors of the Underdark

jedipotter
2014-12-27, 11:21 PM
The region most widely known as the Underdark is an entire world beneath the feet of the surface dwellers of Faerun. Inhabited by monstrous and evil creatures that shun the daylight, the Underdark teems with entire cities and nations of derro, drow, duergar, and mind flayers. It is also home to even stranger races such as aboleths, beholders, and kuo-toas, as well as slaves of just about any intelligent humanoid found on the surface.
These evil beings battle or trade with each other for resources, magic, and power, forming alliances that collapse when plots unravel or better opportunities come along. Interspersed with the warring city-states are enclaves of gnomes, svirfneblin, dwarves, and other neutral and good folk, who remain isolated or resist encroachment by malign neighbors.

Greenhollow is a small village of a little less then 400 mixed halflings and gnomes located in the eastern Green Fields, just a bit west of the Troll Mountains. The village has little government, simply a circle of elders from both races. The village is fairly isolated, as few have any reason to come. Still a handful of traders and merchants make the trip, but not too many. The village is just fine ''staying off the map''.

Though, over the last couple of years village folk have been disappearing. Know one was sure what was happening, until the day three years ago when the halfling paladin Taran Foxworth discovered the slavers. Goblins enslaving the good village folk was bad enough, but the goblins were just a front for the real evil, the drow slavers. Taran fought them all, and won. When the dust settled, all the townsfolk were free and no slavers were left alive. And things returned to normal. Almost. The dark stain of the slavers never was far from anyone's thoughts. Then only six mouths ago, Taran Foxworth passed away in his sleep. And dark rumors started to fly. Fear that the slavers might have returned gripped the minds of the village folk. And true, a small handful of folks have gone missing over the last couple weeks. But there has been no proof to the average village folk of anything bad happening..........yet........

Alright, we've got an OOC thread. Please repost your character sheets there (and statblocks if you have them) and choose your colors.

Out of Character thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?391668-Horrors-of-the-Underdark%28OOC%29&p=18622734#post18622734)

Post your character introduction here....

NeoSeraphi
2015-01-06, 10:16 PM
"This is...disgusting," Shina mutters to herself, shuddering at the lingering warmth from the human male whose clothes she just stole and put on. She covers her face in chalk, pulling a pair of gloves over her hands, and stashing her hair in a large top hat. "Well," she mutters to herself, looking into a mirror that the caravan was hauling, "it's certainly not the most convincing disguise I've ever donned, but it will have to do. I can't exactly just stroll into the city looking like this."

She walks towards the road, taking in a view of the town called Greenhollow. "Sartori..." she mutters to herself, clenching one fist and pressing her hand against her still-wounded arm. She would hunt those bastards down herself, but she needed help to take on a group that large. Luckily for her, towns like Greenhollow always have a stock of 'adventurers', insane humanoids who go above and beyond their calling to kill creatures they view as evil. Duregar should be somewhere on that list, and if she added that the company had quite a lot of goods to loot from their dead bodies, the self-righteous 'good' people would likely be even more inclined to help her.

Shina enters the city and looks around, trying to determine where a local watering hole may be so that she can get something to drink and catch up on any rumors. Anything she could learn could be useful to her getting her pelt back. And that haul, the biggest she'd pulled in a while, was worth all this trouble to her. It was her kill.

Alright, Disguise time! Shina has 0 ranks in Disguise, and takes a -2 penalty for attempting to appear as a creature of a different race and of a different gender. (Though, it's really not that big a deal for her if everyone else thinks she's a human woman instead of a human man.)

[roll0]

Farmerbink
2015-01-08, 12:57 PM
Simmalis

The morning had been surprisingly quiet, thus far. Simmalis was spending most of the morning reading through a few tomes one of the elders had lent her- a pleasant pastime, but the time was all-too-often unavailable. As the early-morning sun climbed slowly into the sky, she relished the warmth.

Smileybastard
2015-01-08, 09:14 PM
Taurg

Taurg walked into the small town of Greenhollow with the deer over his shoulder. An isolated and peaceful place that while not welcoming had never been 'uncivil'. As was common most retreated from him. He was twice as tall as most and he was a half-orc.

jedipotter
2015-01-10, 02:49 AM
Greenhollow's homes are built mostly underground in burrows. Quite a few are built into gnomemade hills, and this results in most homes having small ponds around them. Some neighborhoods even have small, trickling rivers that flow between the ponds.

The center of the village has more traditionally human like buildings made of wood. And they are all businesses.

The Ginning Troll Tavern is by far the biggest tavern, set at the eastern end of town.

It's mid afternoon, on a partly sunny day. The average village folk are up and about doing things.

NeoSeraphi
2015-01-10, 03:18 AM
Shina will walk through town, hoping her disguise is sufficient to fool others while simultaneously shielding her eyes from the bright sun. She stops by the Grinning Troll tavern to see if there is any adventurer traffic at this time of day, and also to hear any rumors that might be going around at the moment.

Smileybastard
2015-01-10, 12:42 PM
Taurg

Taurg sees a 'normal' sized person in town. A woman by the look of them. It is rare to see a race bigger than a halfling or a gnome here. Hoping to talk to her, he follows her into the inn.

Perception [roll0] to check her out.

Farmerbink
2015-01-10, 07:34 PM
Simmalis

As Taurg passes by her reading nook, making no effort to hide the fact that he's following that other tall folk, Simmalis looks on. She smiles, amused at the gruff man's curiosity, but stays where she is, content to let him inspect the new person.

jedipotter
2015-01-11, 07:37 PM
Taurg's keen perception is spot on. The human is not a human at all. The disguise is quite easy for you to see through. The figure is not humanoid at all, but an elf......a drow elf, as a matter of fact. The way the female is shielding her eyes from the sun is also a good give away.

No gnome or halfling village folk give Shina a second look.

At mid-afternoon, the Grinning Troll tavern is emptyof any customers and anyone else, except for the four halfling employees.

Smileybastard
2015-01-11, 08:05 PM
Taurg

Taurg follows Shina into the tavern, deer over his shoulder. He walks up to the owner. "Got a fresh deer here if you are interested. A prime animal."

NeoSeraphi
2015-01-11, 09:01 PM
Shina walks through the town, annoyed that there are no suitable humans or elves around, save this one creep who is apparently stalking her. She ignores him and enters the tavern, shocked to find it empty. "What, does everyone hate the sun as much as me?" she mutters, taking a seat and ordering a drink from one of the employees.

jedipotter
2015-01-12, 01:29 AM
Mejo Barrelrope, the owner of the Grinning Troll tavern looks up at Taurg and smiles. "Always willing to buy fresh meat from you, Taurg, you know that. What do you say, four gold for the whole carcass?"

Mejo Barrelrope reaches into a pouch and balances five gold coins on his knuckles and holds them out to Taurg

A young halfling server brings over Shina a clay cup of pink ale. The ale is pink in color of course " and is a Tart Berry Ale. We brew each batch with over 30 pounds of fresh raspberries and both sour and sweet cherries. The addition of fruit prior to fermentation makes this crisp, clean ale tart rather than sweet. It's pink in color of course, light-bodied, and refreshing with delicate, delectable berry aromas.". as your friendly server tells Shina. "Just two silvers"

NeoSeraphi
2015-01-12, 01:50 AM
Shina takes a gold coin out of her purse and hands it to the halfling. "Start a tab for me, and keep them coming," she says in what she hopes is a masculine, human voice. She raises the mug to her lips and takes a long sip.

Smileybastard
2015-01-12, 06:06 AM
Taurg

Taurg nods "and the usual ale of course." He puts the deer down in the usual spot doing his best to not hit his head on the ceiling. He sits where the stranger is at the corner of his vision. There was no need to glean more details, but why was she here?

jedipotter
2015-01-12, 03:50 PM
The young halfling server takes the gold coin and brings over another clay mug of berry ale.

Mejo Barrelrope smiles, 'Of course" and sets four gold coins on the bar, next to a large wooden mug of mushroom ale.

NeoSeraphi
2015-01-16, 08:07 PM
Shina frowns as she feels the male's eyes on the back of her head. She shifts uncomfortably, but still is very glad to be out of direct sunlight. She drinks her ale and reaches into her pocket, removing another gold coin and looking at it. Everything in this world could be expressed as a value of wealth. Gold was equivalent for anything. It could buy you pleasure, shelter, food and water, it could even bring you back to life. It bought slaves, and it bought freedom. Gold was the true master of the humanoid race. Even the mightiest dragons kneeled before its power. She frowns and puts the coin back into her pocket, troubled.

Smileybastard
2015-01-16, 08:20 PM
Taurg

Taurg nods and smiles to the halfling and sips the ale.

jedipotter
2015-01-19, 01:35 AM
Bornebella Barrelrope, Mejo's wife, makes her way over to where Taurg is sitting. She pulls up a chair and looks around the room. "Well again, Taurg. I hearsay a person like yourself might be knowing a thing or two of interest. You do travel the wild ways outside of town. I must say there has been something afoot as of late. People be a disappearing again. Just a couple. Five in total. And sure they might have just left the village. But i'm not a mind to think so. Cormet Badgerbags, for example, left his shop wide open to the world. Why would he do that. Seems odd to me. Some say, maybe the slavers have returned. Some say that was always just a story. But they say nothing to worry about.

But, as I said, your out there, in the wild ways. Would you, pray tell have heard or seen anything out there? Anything at all?

She looks up, bright eyed and all eared

Smileybastard
2015-01-19, 06:09 AM
Taurg

Taurg listens to Bornebella quietly.

"I ...", his eyes flash towards the stranger, "have seen nothing in the wilds, but yes it sounds like it could be Drow slavers. I will certainly keep my eyes open."

Taurg rises to his feet. "Stranger! My name is Taurg. You are new here. Have you seen anything that might indicate Drow slavers are active in the area?" His hand linger close to the handle of his greataxe, leaning against the table.

NeoSeraphi
2015-01-19, 05:40 PM
Shina looks up in surprise as she is addressed. "Wh-what? Drow slavers? Outside of the Underdark? Preposterous. Everyone knows that drow are blind as bats in the sunlight," she replies, sipping her ale coolly.

Smileybastard
2015-01-19, 08:52 PM
Taurg

Taurg grins, his fangs showing. "First they are not that blind in the light." He stares into her eyes. "And second half the time the surface is pretty dark. I have had personal experience with Drow slavers myself. Speaking of that, what are you doing in town?" His eyes seem to burn with hatred mixed with excitement.

jedipotter
2015-01-19, 11:35 PM
Bornebella Barrelrope "Oh, the stranger! I was going to ask them next! By my buttons! " Says Bornebella as she tilts her head to listen.

The main doors to the Grinning Troll open and two human males, both in leather armor, and both with spiked chains walk in. They glance around the room, and sit down at an empty table. They order two ales from the young server and pay her quietly. They sip at their ales and look at each other in silence.

Mejo Barrelrope moves over to the end of the bar, close to the table with the two humans, and cleans some clay mugs at that spot.

NeoSeraphi
2015-01-19, 11:48 PM
Shina shakes her head. "I have no interest in drow. I am in town looking for a group of able-bodied warriors who would help me retrieve some property that was stolen from me. It was taken by a gang of duregar, what you might know as deep dwarves, known as The Sartori Syndicate. They are a ruthless group of thugs who steal and attack innocent people rather than putting forth any effort to better themselves. Thieves...I can't stand them."

Dark Knight Renee
2015-01-20, 03:05 AM
Alerted by the village children that there were other tall-folk in town, Laisha hurries into the center of town and skips into the Ginning Troll Tavern. As she'd expected, Laisha recognizes one of the tall-folk as Taurg, a half-orc who occassionally came to Greenhollow to trade; the other three were strangers to her.

"Good afternoon, Taurg!" she greets the half-orc cheerfully, before turning her attention briefly to the owner. "I'd like a Tart Berry Ale, please, Mejo. Oh, hello Bella!"

Perception check to see if Laisha notices anything unusual about Shina and/or the two humans: [roll0]

Smileybastard
2015-01-20, 06:19 AM
Taurg

Taurg nods towards Laisha, seemingly annoyed at her interuption. He swigs his ale and walks towards Shina, his eyes never leaving hers, and whispers "Make your next reply good. You disguise does not fool me. I don't expect you to come clean, but I do need a reason not to ... take out the trash."

Farmerbink
2015-01-20, 07:47 AM
Simmalis looks up as the two oddly-dressed humans walk by. Now that looks interesting, she mumbles to herself. As they enter the village, and finally the tavern, she decides to see what might come of this new development, and strolls to the tavern, herself.

As she enters, she tries to appear nonchalant.
[roll0]. If I don't like that roll, I'll use the spoilered one, as my first prescience of the day. Edit: I'll go for the spoilered one.

[roll1]

jedipotter
2015-01-20, 03:50 PM
Jessifer Summerfoot, the young server, brings over an ale for Latisha.

Mejo Barrelrope nods, Bornebella Barrelrope gives a little wave, as she otherwise intently watches Taurg and the stranger

The two humans sitting together look sweaty and dirty, as if they had recently done a lot of activity, but there is nothing noteworthy about them.

The one figure alone is clearly not a human. She is wearing a very crude disguise. Her real skin color is dark black, and her ears have a point at the end.

No one seems to notice Simmalis enter the tavern.

NeoSeraphi
2015-01-20, 05:03 PM
Shina looks up at Taug lazily. "So you can see through my disguise. So what? I'm not lying. I'm after a group of underground raiders. That's my objective. Why would I lie about that?" she asks, using her normal voice. She does not appear the least bit threatened by his brash words.

Smileybastard
2015-01-20, 07:14 PM
Taurg

Taurg smiles and speaks in a normal voice. "You did lie, Drow. Your disguise is a lie and when you said Drow slavers on the surface was preposterous and when you said they are blind as bats in daylight."

NeoSeraphi
2015-01-20, 07:21 PM
Shina shrugs. "We might as well be. Though, looking at you, I almost wish we were still outside so my vision wasn't as clear. I can solve that problem easily though." She turns her back to the man and continues drinking. "I'm not lying about drow slavers on the surface being preposterous either. This is a town of halflings. Why would drow want to kidnap them and enslave them? They can't even see in the dark. Drow slavers prefer orcs, dwarves, and gnomes. Even if this town has a small gnome population, it's not enough for them to risk coming out onto the surface to kidnap a few of them. Gnomes are physically weak, and they're annoying. There are much better targets for drow slavers elsewhere. Like the orc tribes." She rolls her eyes, at this man trying to tell her about her own culture.

Dark Knight Renee
2015-01-20, 09:03 PM
"...What?" Laisha's eyes go wide with alarm when Taurg's words reveal the brewing conflict in the tavern. Her blue eyes go even wider when she recognizes Shina as a drow. The water genasi stands frozen as the confrontation between Taurg and Shina unfolds, failing to notice Jessifer bring her drink or Simmalis entering the tavern.

Only when Shina turns back to her drink does Laisha shake herself out of her shock, wordlessly taking her ale from Jessifer and proceeding to edge further away from the drow woman. Finally, she notices Simmalis and does a double-take.

On the subject of Shina's disguise, D&D elves are actually fairly difficult to mistake for human. Their features are quite distinct, and their ears fairly long. (Link to PHB artwork (http://www.toddlockwood.com/galleries/concept/01/elves.shtml)) But her disguise is still valid to an extent, as she could try to pass herself off as one of the surface elf races using the chalk to crudely alter her skin tone. Of course, her disguise is a moot point now...

jedipotter
2015-01-21, 12:14 AM
Bornebella Barrelrope quickly and quietly gets up and moves across the room to stand behind the bar with Mejo Barrelrope.

Mejo Barrelrope is carefully watching the room, as he puts down the rag and the clay mug he was cleaning.

Jessifer Summerfoot moves over to stand by the wall, right next to the main door.

The two humans turn to look, but keep sipping their ales.

That's a good example of a post that should go in the OOC Thread.

Farmerbink
2015-01-21, 10:32 AM
Simmalis realizes that she has entered into a tense situation, and halts in her tracks. She noices Laisha and carefully steps over. What's going on? she asks in a whisper.

Dark Knight Renee
2015-01-21, 07:12 PM
"She's a drow," Laisha whispers back, nodding towards Shina.

Farmerbink
2015-01-21, 07:24 PM
Simmalis' dark eyes open in surprise. Are you sure? Here?! she whispers back. She watches the drow woman closely as Taurg continues talking with her. I certainly hope this doesn't get too messy, she mumbles to herself.

Smileybastard
2015-01-21, 08:47 PM
Taurg

"She is Drow. So why are you after the raiders?"

NeoSeraphi
2015-01-21, 09:22 PM
"I am after these raiders because they have wronged me. They have stolen something of mine and will likely steal more from me and other hardworking hunters like me in the Underdark. It's a disgrace." Shina replies, narrowing her eyes.

jedipotter
2015-01-22, 06:08 PM
Mejo Barrelrope "If anyone is planning violence, I'd please ask that you go outside. says Mejo in a loud voice.

Bornebella Barrelrope half ducks behind the bar, but keeps a watch on the room.

Smileybastard
2015-01-22, 07:43 PM
Taurg

"I plan no violence. Certainly not on here." Taurg smiles at Mejo.
Looking back to Shina, "And what kind of a hunter are you?"

NeoSeraphi
2015-01-22, 08:00 PM
Shina chuckles and pulls out a jar containing the slime of an aboleth. She sets it down in front of him. "I'm a collector. I hunt down the monsters that live in the Underdark...'aberrations', some call them, and skin them. I take what I can salvage, and sell it. It's hard work, it's honest work, and it saves many a life. These creatures are often vicious predators that thrive on instinct alone."

So aboleth slime was just something that popped into my head. I imagine that Shina has lots of trophies she carries with her, but even if they would have some kind of mechanical use I will refrain from using them. RP only.

jedipotter
2015-01-23, 06:39 PM
Mejo Barrelrope "If your a trader from the Dark, do you have anything to trade here. If you have any mushrooms, I might want to buy some, if the prices is right. The blueglow mushrooms, for example, really have a unique flavor. I used to buy them from a gnome trader thar came through town from time to time. But I have not seen him in over a year."

NeoSeraphi
2015-01-23, 06:53 PM
Shina looks up at the offer. "I was just robbed, so my stock's a little short. But if you give me a list of things you like, I'll see what I can scrounge up while I'm down there giving those duregar raiders a piece of my mind. And my crossbow."

Smileybastard
2015-01-23, 07:45 PM
Taurg

Taurg nods. "What did they steal from you?"

NeoSeraphi
2015-01-23, 08:01 PM
Shina looks down and checks her bag. "Let's see...some fragments of an akata's cocoon, three tongues from an ugothol, and the eyestalks of an otyugh." She groans and sits back, making a frustrated noise. "That was a week's worth of food there too."

Farmerbink
2015-01-23, 08:44 PM
Simmalis looks up to Laisha, commenting. She eats that stuff?! with an expression between confusion and disgust. She steps towards the bar, and masks her features. Excuse me, miss. I couldn't help but overhear that you've recently lost some items. I make it something of a vocation to find things, and find myself with spare time. Care for any help?

Dark Knight Renee
2015-01-24, 01:28 PM
"I think she sells it for food," was Laisha's quiet response.

jedipotter
2015-01-24, 06:35 PM
A gnome male in brown clothing walks in through the front door, takes a look around and then heads over to Mejo "Well again, Mejo. I'll take a berry ale!" he says with a smile

Mejo Barrelrope "Well again, Wonnilon. as he pours a clay mug of ale.

Wonnilon Wagonsworth "Say did you hear about the dark dwarf over in Gart's pea feild?'' he says, a bit loudly.

Mejo Barrelrope "A dark dwarf? Here on the surface? In our town?" Mejo looks worried.

NeoSeraphi
2015-01-24, 10:59 PM
Shina's eyes dart over to the conversation with interest. She stands up and walks over to the gnome. "This location you speak of. Where can I find it?" she demands, already planning how she will get her revenge on the company.

jedipotter
2015-01-25, 03:54 PM
Wonnilon Wagonsworth "Woah there stranger, there is no need for alarm. The dark dwarf was dead. He was all hack and cut up good, like he had been in one heck of a fight. And he died like a good dwarf warrior, on his feet and still holding his axe. As a matter of fact the dark dwarf was loaded with stuff. Maybe he was a porter or a merchant? I got this for myself..."

Wonnilon Wagonsworth reaches into his pocket and holds up an iron ring with a tiny, black onyx gem set in it, in the shape of a mushroom.

Wonnilon Wagonsworth "Nice ring, right? I've never seen one quite like it. Gart gave it to me for helping him out. After we cleaned up the field and dragged the body out of there. Gart kept the rest of the stuff for himself.

They are making a pyre over by Rolkins' Rock. They plan to burn the body once it gets dark. We are not really sure of dark dwarf customs. Don't really know if they burn their dead or not. But we need to do something with the body. And no one really likes the idea of burying a dark dwarf around here...you know. Just feels kinda creepy."

NeoSeraphi
2015-01-25, 04:17 PM
Shina is quiet. "A merchant? What would a duregar merchant be doing on the surface?" she wonders to herself.

Smileybastard
2015-01-25, 04:24 PM
Taurg

Taurg asks Shina, "So what's the plan?"

Farmerbink
2015-01-26, 07:13 PM
Simmalis looks up at the half-orc and drow with a curious expression, her question apparently unheard. So... are we going to go inspect this dead duergar, or did you want to go looking for your lost... umm... items, first? In either case, I've not had any ale today, so I'm in tip-top shape to get to it! Just uhh... say the word? She retreats a few steps and fidgets with the haft of her daggers nervously.

After just a brief moment, her brow furrows and her eyes light up, and she talks quickly, not waiting for a response. Bah! This is foolish. Wonnilon! Lead me to this dwarf. You two want to come see it, or not? She follows the lead of the halfling, hopeful that these two strangers will join her.

On the way past her table, she looks at Laisha expectantly. You're coming at least, right?

Dark Knight Renee
2015-01-26, 08:17 PM
"Uh..." Laisha looked uncertainly between Simmalis, Shina, and Taurg. If the drow was going to come... but no, Simmalis would be with her, and surely Taurg wouldn't let the drow out of his sight that easily, so he'd be there too. "Of course, Simi!"

Smileybastard
2015-01-26, 08:30 PM
Taurg

Taurg's eyes flick between the Drow and the others. Is she going to go?

NeoSeraphi
2015-01-27, 04:10 AM
Shina cracks her knuckles and nods. "You bet I'm going. You know the way? Please, take me there. If this man was attacked by that company, there may be some indication of where they're going next."

When the others leave to investigate the area, Shina follows.

Smileybastard
2015-01-27, 04:28 PM
Taurg

Follows the lead to the body, mostly to keep an eye on the Drow.

jedipotter
2015-01-27, 09:32 PM
Wonnilon Wagonsworth quickly drinks his ale. "You all want to go see the body? Never knew dead dark dwarves would be so popular. They got the body over at the temple of Gaerdal Ironhand. Like I said, they are planning to burn it tonight over by Rolkins' Rock. I can take you all there, no problem. Just follow me."

Wonnilon Wagonsworth moves through the town and eventually to barn by a large wooden building. The barn has a dozen ponies in it and a couple of gnome workers. Wonnilon heads over to the makeshift tent at one end of the barn. Inside are three gnomes in simple gray robes. A large table is in the center, with a short, body covered by a gray cloth.

Wonnilon Wagonsworth "This is Low Hammer Finchus Hooknose." he says as he points out one of the gnomes in the tent.

Finchus Hooknose "More people to look at the body? Just can't keep quiet can you Wonnilon? '

Farmerbink
2015-01-28, 01:03 PM
Finchus Hooknose "More people to look at the body? Just can't keep quiet can you Wonnilon? '

Simallis snickers at the jibe. He is a halfling; what do you expect? She moves over to the short table and looks at Finchus expectantly.
So? Where was he? What was he doing, and did he have anything interesting on him?

jedipotter
2015-01-28, 11:54 PM
Finchus Hooknose "We don't know much. He was dead when the farmer found him just this morning. The body is covered in fresh wounds. All from sharp bladed weapons, as far as I can tell. I'd say the death blow was the big cut right on the neck.

He was all armed and armored, even died holding his axe in his hand. The farmer has all his stuff. We just have the body here."

Dark Knight Renee
2015-01-29, 12:01 AM
"May I examine the body?" Laisha asked.

If yes, Heal check to examine the wounds.
[roll0]
If you feel Perception would be a more suitable skill, apply -3 to the above result.

NeoSeraphi
2015-01-29, 12:12 AM
Shina glances towards the barn. "Well, if you are going to examine the body, I shall examine the possessions." She heads to the barn and looks for the farmer. If she finds him, she'll greet him. "Hello, sir. My comrades and I are attempting to discover what transpired at your farm. I have been told you have the deceased's effects. Would you mind if I examined them?"

Farmerbink
2015-01-29, 08:22 AM
Simmalis looks up at Shina. Good idea! I'll go with you; the farmers around here aren't well-known for being friendly with strangers.

She stays close to Shina, and gives her most winning smile to the farmer as the drow makes her request.

Smileybastard
2015-01-29, 06:09 PM
Taurg

Taurg follows Shina, curious as to what happened and what she will do.

jedipotter
2015-01-31, 02:58 AM
Finchus Hooknose "You can examine the body, but don't hurt it or desecrate it."

The wounds are fresh, not too much more then a day old. The body can't be dead too much longer then a day as it still looks quite fresh. The wounds are from sharp weapons.

Gart Groundseed is in one of the nearby small buildings, along with two more clerics. There is a collection of items set out on an table and the two clerics are looking them over carefully with gloved hands. You can see a set of plate armor, a shield, a battle axe and clothing easy enough.

Gart Groundseed "What do you strangers what?"

Dark Knight Renee
2015-02-01, 02:57 AM
Not gleaning anything particularly interesting or revealing from her examination of the body, Laisha hurried to rejoin the others at Gart Groundseed's farm.

NeoSeraphi
2015-02-01, 11:29 AM
The drow hunter bows politely before the farmer. "Good afternoon, sir. My comrades and I are attempting to discover what exactly transpired at your farm. We have been told you are in possession of the deceased's effects. May we examine them, please?"

jedipotter
2015-02-01, 04:17 PM
Gart Groundseed "Sure, you can look them over. They are all for sale, if you want any of them. Name your price." says whit a big grin as he rubs both his hands together.

Smileybastard
2015-02-01, 04:25 PM
Taurg

Taurg almost shrugs impressed so far with how the Drow has behaved herself. She was rough to begin with, but that was to be expected. He disguise could be seen through and she was not in friendly territory. He almost wished she had acted up.

NeoSeraphi
2015-02-01, 06:47 PM
Shina nods gratefully. "Thank you very much. If I see anything I like, I'll be sure to pick it up." She takes a look at the effects.

jedipotter
2015-02-02, 02:29 AM
The pile has a full set of dwarven plate mail armor. A small steel shield. A battleaxe. Seven daggers. Two darts. a hand axe. A small pile of simple gray clothing. A pair of boots. A leather belt. An empty money pouch. A waterskin. Two small bags of dried mushrooms. Goggles with dark smoky glass lenses. A small pereserved lizard claw on a small iron chain. A tiny iron amulet with a bat-like symbol on it. A small metal statuette of a cave cricket. A bone scroll tube, with a single scroll inside: the scroll has the words: Ver'ilith, Azalin, Gux, Vrixx'tt and Shard Darkthrone. The first three words each have an ''X'' next to them.

NeoSeraphi
2015-02-02, 09:08 AM
Shina looks at the scroll and the amulet, trying to decide if she recognizes either the symbol or the words.

Knowledge (Nature/Dungeoneering/Geography): [roll0]

Farmerbink
2015-02-02, 09:24 AM
Simmalis hums to herself as she watches the drow perusing the late dwarf's belongings. When she sets aside the scroll, Simmalis jumps up and grabs it. She quickly unrolls it to read the writing more closely.

Hmmmm... Ver'illith, Azalin, and Gux are "exxed." Vrixx'tt, and Shard Darkthrone aren't. These have got to be names, do they mean anything to any of you?

I wonder if this dwarf was some kind of bounty hunter or assassin. Perhaps his marks caught up with him?

[roll0] knowledge check(s) for whichever is appropriate to know something about these names.

Add 9 to the roll for: Arcana, Dungeoneering, Local (all humanoids), Nature, and Planes, for a total of: 29
Add 5 to the roll for: Engineering, Geography, History, Nobility, Religion: 25

edit: hot damn!

jedipotter
2015-02-02, 04:42 PM
The amulet looks like a standard clan amulet often worn by duergar. It's most likely magical, at the very least it will glow dimly when held and the clan name is spoken. You don't recolonize the clan symbol, the duergar word for bat is saguzar, but the clan name could be anything.

Ver'ilith sounds like a drow name, a no name commoner as there is no family name, the other words on the scroll are unfamiliar, they are not words in any languarge you know...other then 'Shard Darkthrone' that is in common, and looks like a name.

Gart Groundseed watches as everyone looks at the items.

Arcana none of the words is any magical word you have ever heard of
Dungeoneering Ver'ilith sounds like a drow name, a commoner as there is no family name,
Local none of the words has a local meaning. If they are names, they do not look like traditional gnome or halfling names. Gux could be a gnome name, but it would be odd to see one without a last name. The same is true for a dwarf name. Gux does sound like a simple goblin name, however. Vrixx'tt sounds like a sperpentfolk name or some reptile like race. Azalin and Shard Darkthrone could be of any race, though human would be the obvious choice.
Nature nothing
Planes Vrixx'tt could be the name of a Khaasta (other plane lizard man race), but there sure is not one of them in town.

Engineering, Geography, History, Nobility, Religion: the words don't ring any bells here, if they are names they don't seem to be famous ones.

Farmerbink
2015-02-03, 05:38 PM
Simmalis mutters to herself, as she pores over the note. Hmmmm.... I stand by my first hunch, these are definitely names.... But for now, I really can't say any more than that. None of them sound familiar to me, so it's anybody's guess what this guy was doing out here. It's not every day you see a deep dwarf parading about in broad daylight with a battle-axe and plate mail, so he was certainly driven by an important task.

...wish I knew what it might have been.

She looks to the floor, disappointed in her own (perceived, at least) failure.

Gart, Finchus, did you two get a look at this? she asks, handing the wrinkled parchment to the Low Hammer.

NeoSeraphi
2015-02-03, 05:39 PM
Shina shakes her head. "This last name is written in the Common tongue...which is odd. In fact, it looks as though a lot of these names are written in different languages, and the first is written in Undercommon and sounds to be dark elven in nature...whoever wrote this list has a wide breadth of knowledge under their belt indeed. Alright then, so we're dealing with someone who knows a lot about the Underdark, clearly. And this clan...Hmm, I wonder. 'Saguzar'!" she exclaims experimentally, holding the amulet up as she does so, hoping that something will happen. "Or perhaps...Sartori!" she adds, curious.

Smileybastard
2015-02-03, 07:24 PM
Taurg

"Xs beside names makes me think of a checklist. Talk to someone or kill them?"

Dark Knight Renee
2015-02-03, 07:25 PM
Laisha arrives on the scene, and seeing the other characters busy examining the pile of gear, she joins them. While the others puzzle over the scroll, the genasi finds herself more interested in the goggles and the cricket. "I wonder if any of these things are magical? Simi, is there a quick test you can do to check for that?"

jedipotter
2015-02-03, 09:09 PM
Gart Groundseed nods to Simmalis and shrugs "I've seen it. Just a scroll. You want it, it's for sale. Three silver coins and it's your scroll."

Finchus Hooknose nods as well "Some list I'd guess. Maybe he was out greengrocery shopping? I don't know any of the words. But I don't speak or read and under tongues. We don't really welcome dark dwarves in town you know. Though none ever come anyway. I can't imagine way he would be here in our town."

Farmerbink
2015-02-03, 09:16 PM
"Xs beside names makes me think of a checklist. Talk to someone or kill them?"

Simmalis nods. Seems like an unpleasant conversation, either way- just based on his... dress.

Gart Groundseed nods to Simmalis and shrugs "I've seen it. Just a scroll. You want it, it's for sale. Three silver coins and it's your scroll."

Simmalis scoffs at Gart. Three silver coins for a scrap of paper!? The paper itself isn't worth that, and besides, it's all used up! Keep it, Gart. She shakes her head in a mixture of amusement and bewilderment, and returns to speaking with Taurg and the others.

Until we have some sort of lead on who these named people are, I don't see as there's much more can be done here. Anyone able to see if they can track the dwarf backwards? See where he came from, 'steada where he went?

Smileybastard
2015-02-03, 09:32 PM
Taurg

"I can check for tracks."

jedipotter
2015-02-04, 03:53 AM
Gart Groundseed "I'll take two silver for the scroll'' he says softly

Gart Groundseed "My farm is at the east edge of town. Last one off the main road. I found him in my pea patch, that is the field to the left of the bard. The one with pea plants growing in it. He knocked over my fence, took a couple more steps and died on my pea plants. And that is where I found him, a little after sun up this morning."

Farmerbink
2015-02-04, 09:12 AM
"I wonder if any of these things are magical? Simi, is there a quick test you can do to check for that?"

Simmalis looks up, just recognizing the question. Oh! Of course! Without further preamble, she begins muttering a brief incantation. Her eyes take on a silvery sheen and she focuses intently on the objects in front of her.

Casting detect Magic. Focusing as long as necessary and allowed to learn what I can.

jedipotter
2015-02-05, 01:22 AM
Both the tiny iron amulet with a bat-like symbol on it and the small metal statuette of a cave cricket glow with faint magic.

[roll0]
[roll1]

The iron amulet's magic is weak Evocation
The statuette's magic is unknown.

Farmerbink
2015-02-05, 07:14 PM
Simmalis raises an eyebrow, and glances at Laisha before returning her gaze to the goods piled before Gart. She begins sifting through the pile, slowly shifting items one way and then another. OK, so obviously, I'm not interested in the plate mail or battle axe- I probably couldn't carry them, even if I could afford them. The boots and clothes are likewise useless -Her nose wrinkles as she shifts the boots aside- and gross! She shudders for a moment, and exhales sharply, before returning to the pile. These goggles are fun-looking, but I can't see anything through them... wonder what he kept them for? Ooh! That's pretty! She picks up the cricket statuette, slowly turning it about in her hands. Ew! she moves the preserved lizard claw aside. Hmmmm... This looks fun... She picks up the bat amulet and turns to Gart.

How much do you want for these two trinkets?

[roll0] appraise - statuette
[roll1] appraise - amulet.

-If you're the type to go for skill checks for bartering. I'm trying to downplay my interest in the items, which sadly probably warrants a [roll2] bluff check, though I'm hoping for circumstantial bonuses for being a BAMF clever linguist.

jedipotter
2015-02-06, 02:32 AM
As magic items, even weak ones, both items could be worth a lot, depending on what they do. After all, even a zero level spell effect three times a day is 200 gp. Even an everburing torch is 110 gold. And first level spell effects are 2,000 gold +

So, both items are masterwork quality worth about 300 gold, each..depending a bit on what they do.

Gart Groundseed "Ah, well, how about a gold piece for each item. Sounds like a good price to me!''

Smileybastard
2015-02-06, 09:09 AM
Taurg

Taurg picks up the goggles and adjusts them to fit his head. "A gold?" he says fishing a gold from his pouch.

Farmerbink
2015-02-06, 09:16 AM
Simmalis squints at the halfling, not attempting to hide her surprise. hmmm... Yes, I suppose it will do. She fishes two gold crowns from her coin purse and places them directly into Gart's outstretched hand before going back to inspecting the statuette, her face a perfect image of childlike glee with a new toy. Smiling, she addresses Gart,Thank you, mister.

She retreats to the back of the room, beside the door, mumbling to herself. This is so pretty!

Dark Knight Renee
2015-02-06, 12:42 PM
Laisha joins Simmalis by the door. "Any idea what it does?" she whispers.

NeoSeraphi
2015-02-06, 02:03 PM
Shina frowns as the others examine the loot. She turns back to the farmer. "Do you have any information about the body? Where did you find it, and how long ago? Do you know how he was killed? Was there any other creature near the body when you discovered it?"

jedipotter
2015-02-06, 05:16 PM
Gart Groundseed "Yup, a gold for the goggles!" as he gives a nod and takes the two gold from Simmalis Esh

Gart Groundseed looks over to Shina "Well, like I said before, I found him this morning in my pea field. So, I'd say about six hours ago or so. My farm is at the east edge of town. Last one off the main road. I found him in my pea patch, that is the field to the left of the bard. The one with pea plants growing in it. He knocked over my fence, took a couple more steps and died on my pea plants. The body has lots of fresh wounds, looks like he lost a fight. I'd guess the cut to his neck killed him. And there was nothing else in the pea patch other then my peas.

Farmerbink
2015-02-06, 08:24 PM
Laisha joins Simmalis by the door. "Any idea what it does?" she whispers.

Simmalis smiles broadly. Nope! Not a clue! In her excitement she speaks louder than intended for a moment, before recalling the gravity of the situation. Um... Though, I guess I had better find out, huh?

She turns back to the farmer in time to hear his discussion of the pea field, and turns her attention to Taurg. Well? Care to see what we can find out there?

Smileybastard
2015-02-06, 08:31 PM
Taurg

"Yes, lets go."

jedipotter
2015-02-06, 10:23 PM
The field of planted pea plants is easy enough to find, and the broken fence is quite obvious as the right spot. The field just looks like row and rows of pea plants. It's easy to see the two rows of disturbed pea plants, as all the dirt has been moved around and looks quite ''fresh'' compared to the other dirt. The broken pieces of fence lay on the ground, stacked by the still standing fence pole.

Beyond the fence is just the wild, unclaimed wilderness. Mostly grassy fields of wild plants with lots of small groves of trees, bushes and thorny plants.

Smileybastard
2015-02-06, 10:30 PM
Taurg

Taurg gestures for the others to stay back. "Stay there for a few minutes. Let not mess up what clues we have any more than needed."

Perception to spot clues [roll0]
Survival to follow tracks [roll1]

NeoSeraphi
2015-02-07, 12:31 AM
Shina frowns. "He broke the fence? That's an odd thing to do when you're an inch away from death. Why would he exert that much physical strain on his almost bloodless body?" She strokes her chin thoughtfully. "Maybe...he was being chased by whatever killed him, trying to finish him off. And he broke the fence so he could at least die in peace."

Shina follows the group to the pea patch and begins examining the area around the broken fence for tracks.

Perception: [roll0]
Survival: [roll1]

Dark Knight Renee
2015-02-07, 05:23 AM
"Or maybe it's just a very weak fence," Laisha replied quietly. She very much did not like having her adopted home invaded by menaces from the Underdark, under which heading she included Shina.

Farmerbink
2015-02-07, 11:58 AM
"Or maybe it's just a very weak fence," Laisha replied quietly.

Simmalis nodded simply. Watching the two trackers work was interesting, and for the moment, demanded all of her focus.

jedipotter
2015-02-07, 02:19 PM
The area around where the body fell in the pea patch and the area by the broken fence are a mess. At least a dozen gnomes and halflings must have walked all over the area. And all the dirt that was disturbed, moved, dug up and packed down.

Moving to the other side of the broken fence, and the duergar's tracks are easy to spot. His typical big, thick, heavy dwarven boots left nice deep boot prints in the softer parts of the ground. The trampled grass and broken branches are also quite obvious. The trail leads due east.

The area around where the body fell in the pea patch and the area by the broken fence are a mess. At least a dozen gnomes and halflings must have walked all over the area. And all the dirt that was disturbed, moved, dug up and packed down.

Moving to the other side of the broken fence, and the duergar's tracks are easy to spot. His typical big, thick, heavy dwarven boots left nice deep boot prints in the softer parts of the ground. The trampled grass and broken branches are also quite obvious. The trail leads due east.

Smileybastard
2015-02-07, 03:41 PM
Taurg

"He came from due east and alone from the look of it. Can't say what happened in the field as there are too many gnome prints. We could track him back to where he came from. "

Farmerbink
2015-02-07, 03:58 PM
"He came from due east and alone from the look of it. Can't say what happened in the field as there are too many gnome prints. We could track him back to where he came from. "

Simmalis' eyes squint and eyebrows furrow as she focuses on the ground around them, unable to recognize whatever signs Taurg has seen. She shrugs, before looking up at the half-orc. Whispering, she addresses him: I... I don't want to be rude. But um. Doesn't it strike you as a bit fishy that a dead duergar shows up, and a drow just happens to wander into town on the same day? I mean, I want to know where this guy came from, but can we trust having her along?

Smileybastard
2015-02-07, 04:55 PM
Taurg

A look of understanding comes across Taurg's face and he nods. "You are right and I don't trust drow, but she seems ok, but I don't intend to let her out of my sight just yet."

jedipotter
2015-02-08, 04:20 PM
A slight breeze blows across the country side, on Gart Groundseed's farm on the east edge of town. The farm is fairly quiet. There are a couple gnome farmhands around doing work, and several young female gnomes are hanging laundry out too dry.

Otherwise, the farm is nice and quiet and peaceful.

NeoSeraphi
2015-02-08, 04:46 PM
Shina begins following the tracks eastward, moving slowly to make sure she can spot every sign of struggle, blood or other problems.

Taking 10 on Perception and Survival here, for 17 and 16 respectfully.

Smileybastard
2015-02-08, 05:09 PM
Taurg

Taurg follows the drow, reading the tracks as he goes and watching for danger.

Survival [roll0]
Perception [roll1]

Dark Knight Renee
2015-02-08, 05:22 PM
Laisha wrung her hands anxiously, but did not immediately follow the drow and the half-org. "I don't like this, Simi. I don't like this at all..."

Farmerbink
2015-02-08, 09:40 PM
"I don't like this, Simi. I don't like this at all..."

Simmalis tries to reassure the woman, It will be fine, you'll see. Besides, we know Taurg can be rough around the edges, but you've known him long enough to know it's mostly a show. Come on, we don't want to be left behind!- and I don't want to leave him alone with her!

On her short legs, Simmalis has to walk only slightly quicker than her normal pace to keep up with the trackers. As they pass the edge of the village, she draws her crossbow and keeps her eyes peeled for dangers.

[roll0]

Dark Knight Renee
2015-02-08, 09:58 PM
The anxious water genasi hesitated a moment longer, before hurrying to catch up with Simmalis and the two trackers.

[roll0]

jedipotter
2015-02-08, 10:31 PM
The trail goes eastward, in more or less a straight line. The route is directly over land and stays in the wild.

After just a couple minutes of walking, the village is lost in the dense wild plants behind you all.

The dark dwarf seemed to be moving fairly fast, and in a straight line.....very common for a dwarf. There is no sign of a struggle.

The wild areas, look mostly undisturbed.

The wilderness shows no signs of immediate danger.

Sees the wilderness

It's a good three hours of walking through the grass, thorns and plants of the wilderness, until the trail leads towards a thick grove of pine trees. Several dozen pine trees grown together, there trunks just a few feet apart, making a ''natural wall''. The grove is a good hundred square feet around in a lumpy circle shape. There is a narrow opening that can be walked through on the west side...

The dark dwarf's trail leads right into the pine tree grove, and right up too the narrow opening.

Smileybastard
2015-02-09, 06:24 PM
Taurg

Taurg looks at the natural wall. "I didn't expect his tracks to lead to a place like this. I was expecting a cave."

NeoSeraphi
2015-02-09, 09:30 PM
Shina frowns and stops, removing a map from her possessions and opening it up, examining her list of known entrances to the Underdark on the surface. She looks at the map and estimates her location on it, then tries to guess where this dwarf may have come from.

Knowledge (Geography): [roll0]

jedipotter
2015-02-09, 10:53 PM
There are no Underdark entrances in the immediate area. There is one just three more miles east ward.

Farmerbink
2015-02-13, 10:07 AM
As the motley crew approaches the copse of trees, Simmalis notices the opening that the trackers are heading towards. Peering about cautiously, she says to her companions, "Give me a few moments to inspect the area. Perhaps I can learn something about our erstwhile guide's intentions. She withdraws a single coffee bean from the pouch at her belt and mutters a brief incantation. "Enfocament meus sentits!" The coffee bean crumbles to dust, which she lets slide through her near-ephemeral fingers.

Crouching low to the ground, she carefully prowls forward, staying underneath nearby branches when able, and all-but disappearing into the shadows found therein. She approaches the opening in the trees, and sneaks through.

casting "Heightened Awareness." I don't have access to copy/paste URLs right now, but will do so when able. relevant part: for 10 minutes, I get +2 to perception and trained knowledge skills, and a +4 on a single initiative check, if I dismiss the remaining duration of the spell.

[roll0] perception
[roll1] stealth
I'd like, if relevant, to check if I know anything about the area.
Dungeoneering: [roll5]
Local (humanoids): [roll3]
Planes: [roll4]
Nature: [roll2] (not geography, yet :smallfrown::smallfrown:)

Smileybastard
2015-02-15, 09:12 AM
Taurg

Taurg watches Simmalis cast the spell and move forward. Unsure what the spell does, he waits a moment or two and then follows.

Stealth [roll0]
Perception [roll1]
Survival [roll2]