PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Spell Storing and Absorption

Captain Kablam
2014-12-28, 12:43 AM
Quick question, and I feel like an idiot for not being able to put the right word combo into Google to find out, (and I'm sure one of you guys has a link to help me feel more stupid), but could an empty Spell Storing weapon absorb an enemy spell?

Essentially, I was rolling out a fighter and I thought how badass it would be to take an enemy's fireball, pull a Mr. Game&Watch, and shoot it right back.

Now I know there exists already a precedent with Reflecting shields, however, there is a key difference. Reflecting could affect even 9 level spells, storing only works for up to 3. Not to mention the act of pouring a spell into the weapon requires a casting, for all intents and purposes, so why not use the enemy's? Also, I'd say it's probably only possible when the spell or it's effect is recognized or when an AoO is struck against the casting, and of course only when the weapon is empty.

So, is there a black and white law? If so, where? If not, then does what I'm saying make sense and seem fair? If not, then what is fair?

Kahlendrrari
2014-12-28, 01:03 AM
You're still pretty unclear as to what you are asking about. Are you trying to absorb a cast spell into a spell storing weapon, and then cast it back at the original caster?

Captain Kablam
2014-12-28, 01:10 AM
You're still pretty unclear as to what you are asking about. Are you trying to absorb a cast spell into a spell storing weapon, and then cast it back at the original caster?

Yes, that is my question. And, if so, at what times and with what effects is it appropriate?

Mizr
2014-12-28, 01:51 AM
Look into Complete Warrior's Occult slayer (pg 66, begins in the lower right). It has some pretty mean features against mages, including Mind Over Magic which allows you to use the Spell Turning spell as a supernatural ability. It doesn't work against fireballs, but it can bounce a significant number of spells back at your enemy (death spells are hilarious). However, insofar as I'm aware I do not believe a spell storing weapon can absorb hostile spells.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-12-28, 05:54 AM
Spell Storing can only store targeted spells, so Fireball is right out. Also the spellcaster storing the spell needs to target the weapon, so you can't use it to block spells and absorb them.

It would be pretty cool though. Maybe ask your DM for a houserule? It's unlikely that it's going to break anything.

Otherwise there are several options that do what you want, but they are more resource intensive. Occult Slayer was mentioned, Cold Iron Warrior can do the same. Spellblade (PGtF) can absorb and reflect one specific spell you have to choose at the time it's enchanted (Dispel Magic/Greater Dispel is a favorite, but any targeted spell works).
A Ring of Spell Battle (MIC) can redirect any spell 1/day but it's usefulness is limited for mundane characters since they can't use the rest of it's features. Still nice if you can afford one.