PDA

View Full Version : Player Help do shamans have to qualify for their bonus feats they gain?

sideswipe
2014-12-28, 07:57 AM
exactly the question.

herrhauptmann
2014-12-28, 09:41 PM
Everyone has to qualify for their bonus feats. They're exactly like regular feats in most cases.
A bonus feat might have a specific restriction, like a wizard only getting Metamagic/Item creation feats at level 5/10/15/20. So a level 5 wizard can't take a metamagic or creation feat which requires a caster level of 12.

edit:
UNLESS the bonus feat entry in the class specifically states that the character can ignore a prereq. Like a ranger getting to ignore dex requirements for TWF.

Darrin
2014-12-29, 08:05 AM
exactly the question.

By RAW, yes.

However, RAI may have some wiggle-room, as this looks similar to the monk's bonus feats, and they are allowed to ignore prereqs.

Coidzor
2014-12-29, 08:19 AM
exactly the question.

The 3.5 update has the statement "The shaman must meet all of the normal prerequisites for the feats he selects."

So, yes, if you're using the 3.5 update. I can't remember the text in Oriental Adventures.

I don't believe it's good form to allow a character to take any of the feats that build off of Stunning Fist before they have Stunning Fist, either.

sideswipe
2014-12-29, 08:45 AM
The 3.5 update has the statement "The shaman must meet all of the normal prerequisites for the feats he selects."

So, yes, if you're using the 3.5 update. I can't remember the text in Oriental Adventures.

I don't believe it's good form to allow a character to take any of the feats that build off of Stunning Fist before they have Stunning Fist, either.

treat the 3.5 update as non existent.

i was pretty sure you had to qualify, but yes they looked along the lines of monk feats, so i asked.