PDA

View Full Version : The Will (Call of Cthulhu)

Kesnit
2014-12-28, 05:27 PM
A young man seats himself at a desk in Dr. Sabbe's library. "My name is Sylvester Daniel, and I was Dr. Sabbe's attorney. His Last Will and Testament is fairly straightforward. He had me draw it up several years ago, and no significant changes have been made. However, about six months ago, Dr. Sabbe came to my office and gave me this envelope." He holds up a large, sealed envelope. "He directed me to hold onto this and only open it at the reading of his will. I assume it has something to do with his estate, but have followed his instructions to not open it until now." Sylvester puts down the sealed envelope and picks up another, small, stack of papers. "I will begin with the reading of the will, then proceed to the changes."

The will itself is rather straightforward. His nephew receives his money, a small but not insignificant amount. Lionel Cooper recieves his library, with the exception of certain books and notes (religion based) that go to Adam Clawson. A trust was set up that already has possession of his house. The house is given to Mary Jacobson and Laura Brown, to share for the rest of their lives, or until remarriage. (Once one marries, the other maintains full use of the house. If both remarry, or when both die, the house passes to the trust, with instructions that the house be sold and the money given to the remaining heirs, or the heirs' heirs.)

Finally, Sylvester picks up the sealed envelope and opens it. He pulls out a large stack of papers, and begins to read.

If you are hearing these words, then I fear for what is coming. You, my friends and family, may be the last hope for mankind. I am sure that statement sounds rather melodramatic, but I assure you, it is true.

You all know that I spent my youth studying religious beliefs around the world. What I suspect none of you know was that, along with study, I was collecting rituals. It all started out so innocently. My friends thought it all a lark. I'd come back, and we would get together and perform whatever customs I had learned. We meant no harm, and never dreamed anything would come of it.

I told the world that I had stopped traveling because I was getting too old to live out of a suitcase. That was partially the truth. But the rest of the truth was that I was afraid - soul-wrenchingly afraid. You see, the last ritual we performed turned out to, well... work. Something, some THING, happened. I nearly lost my mind! Most of us nearly did. Poor Julian actually did. From then on, my studies, and the implications therein, took on a new light. I could not bring myself to learn more, for fear that more of THAT was out there. So I stayed, published my papers on what I had already learned, and tried to never think about what else existed.

For decades, that worked. Sadly, time takes its toll on us all. And as it took my friends, I found more and more of my strength being drained. Drained into holding back what we had done. Julian Hannan died a few years after, still in the mental hospital where he was taken that night. He never regained his sanity. Jason and Victoria Green died of Spanish Flu in 1918. John Green, Jason brother and business partner, died of a wasting disease. Leah Mhan was killed by an angry customer - she was a medium - when her prophecy did not turn out the way he wanted it to. As I write this, I am the last. Since you are hearing these words, the protections - protections bought through our own blood - no longer hold.

I hate to put such a burden on you, but there is no one else. Each person had their part of the ritual, and by the time I thought to collect them, it was too late. I hope it is not too late for you. Find them, or find some other way to reverse what we have done.

(He goes on to list the hospital where Julian died, the address of Jason and John's business, and the address where Leah lived and had her seances.)

Return to Mr. Daniel in 6 months, if you can. Your inheritances will be available then. I hate to put such a horrible requirement on all of you, but I suspect you will believe me a crazy old man. I hope that by putting the time frame, you will take me seriously.

Yours,
Dr. Erik Sabbe

Sylvester puts down the papers. "Well, that was... unexpected."

Argo
2014-12-29, 11:11 AM
"I'll say," says Lionel Cooper in agreement with the executor's statement, brushing a strand of brown hair from his face. He turns to the few other faces standing around the old man's library--now his library.

"What... uh, what do you suppose Dr. Sabbe means by all that? Surely not... I mean... he's joking, right? About, uh, the ritual working?"

Anubis Dread
2014-12-29, 02:10 PM
She'd... she'd been left the house. She wouldn't need to worry about having a place to live or be safe. It was an amazing gift, and it would have made Mary's red eyes burst into tears if it wasn't for the thing that followed.

A ritual... it sounded sacreligious, but the old faith of her people had many such rites and rituals. All of them nothing but fancy, but with all the old faiths and rituals in the world a few were bound to be the devils work rather than gibberish. And no catholic would deny that the devil was very real.

"The professor not one to joke about thing like that," Mary protests. "Definitely not in his will. If the professor said it worked, it worked." Still the idea of something like that happening, and perhaps the most reliable man in the world vouching for it being the case... it sent shivers down her spine.

Argo
2014-12-30, 11:37 AM
Lionel paced back and forth as he spoke, now absorbed in his own train of thought. He couldn't decide if he was more angry or intrigued, but he was certain it was both.

"But he never mentioned it! In all the years I studied under him. All the lunches, the dinners. All the times I came here to help him with this or that... Never once. Is it possible that Doctor Sabbe could have actually had a ritual work and not tell me?... Let me see that note!"

Lionel took the note from the executor of the estate and re-read every word. Three times.

"That is what he's saying. And this is most definitely his signature," Lionel confirmed, handing the note back to Mr. Daniel.

"Well... I suppose I should, er, visit these places and see what I can find out. I'm sure you're all much too busy to join me, but don't fear. I'll investigate by myself, and you'll all get your inheritances in a few weeks time."

Anubis Dread
2014-12-30, 02:33 PM
"I not going to turn down the Professors last request," Mary replied. "I probably be in the way, but I can not do it."

She wasn't well educated, but even if it was just to help the others along by making sure they didn't need to worry about the little things that would detract from the problem she was going.

Tris
2014-12-30, 03:38 PM
Edward Lewis speaks up. "I haven't known Dr. Sabbe since I was young, but I remember him as a very trustworthy and intelligent man. I... don't know what to think of this ritual, and probably can't be of much help, but I must admit I am curious what this is all about. I want to come along as well."

Argo
2014-12-31, 11:24 AM
Lionel looks over at Adam Clawson and Laura Brown.

"Stunned silence, eh?" he says, sighing. "Very well, you can both come along, if you want. Just try to help us instead of freezing up like you are now."

He turns toward the group.

"I propose that we pick our starting point for this investigation, return to our homes to pack a few things, and then meet back here tomorrow after breakfast to begin. Agreed? Yes?... Ideas on where we should begin?...

Anyone?"

Anubis Dread
2014-12-31, 03:13 PM
"Not where those seances took place. It creepy enough as it is," Mary shivered, wrapping her arms around herself in an attempt to calm herself down. She didn't want to go on some devil spirit hunt, but it was the Professors last request... "I think the business may be a good place? It more likely that there someone around who still remembers the two there than at the hospital. If it okay with everyone else..."

Calinero
2015-01-04, 01:37 AM
Adam shifted, uncomfortable with the direction this was going. Not because he couldn't believe that Dr. Sabbe would do such a thing--he could. The Doctor had always seemed curious about the metaphysical in their discussions. No, what he had trouble with was that the doctor had come across some sort of proof--some sort of evidence one way or another in their debates. Evidence of a higher--or lower--power. And had kept it to himself. Perhaps to shelter Adam's fragile faith? Or perhaps for more selfish reasons. He did not know.

"I don't know what the doctor found," said Adam, "But that's not the sort of question you let lie. It sounds like the doctor's curiosity got the better of him--and it's up to us to find what mess he left behind. I say we go to one of these sites and see what is to be found...assuming you can all make the time."

Kesnit
2015-01-04, 07:58 AM
"Well... I suppose I should, er, visit these places and see what I can find out. I'm sure you're all much too busy to join me, but don't fear. I'll investigate by myself, and you'll all get your inheritances in a few weeks time."

Sylvester turns to Lionel. "A few weeks is not quite accurate. Dr. Sabbe said six months, so that is the earliest I can release your inheritance. Obviously, the house and library are here and there is little I could do to stop you from using either. But ownership cannot pass until the time limit has passed."

Argo
2015-01-05, 10:18 AM
Sylvester: "A few weeks is not quite accurate. Dr. Sabbe said six months, so that is the earliest I can release your inheritance. Obviously, the house and library are here and there is little I could do to stop you from using either. But ownership cannot pass until the time limit has passed."

Lionel responds: "Yes, of course. I only meant that investigating... whatever it is that Doctor Sabbe has pointed us toward should be a simple enough matter to resolve. In a few weeks' time, the conditions of the will should be fulfilled, and I will be enjoying my new library as soon as the law would legally permit. I certainly meant no disrespect to you, sir. But clearly the illness Doctor Sabbe suffered must have had some impact on his mind. It's such a shame when the truly brilliant and talented are afflicted so."

He does not actually believe that the Doctor's illness had affected his mind, but merely says so. Lionel's hope is that whatever discoveries they might make while continuing the Doctor's research would be his to publish alone, without competition from the rest.

"But yes, I think Mary has the right idea. Jason and John Green's business seems like as good a place to start as any."

Tris
2015-01-05, 08:28 PM
"I am fine with that. Should we head over now?" Edward asks.

Kesnit
2015-01-07, 09:47 AM
The business owned by Jason and John Green turns out to be a general goods store. It takes up two storefronts, with foodstuff on one side and non-food on the other. Several customers are browsing throughout the store. A young man stands by a cash register near the front of the store.

Calinero
2015-01-07, 10:17 AM
Adam looks at the others outside the store. They had all seemed so sure of purpose when they set out, but now that he was actually here it seemed a lot more ridiculous. "How do you suppose those cashiers would react to being asked about their former employers being involved in occult rituals?" he muttered to the others. "Any bets for how long it would take for us to get thrown out?"

Anubis Dread
2015-01-07, 11:34 AM
"It depends if they were as careful about leaving a message as the Professor or not," Mary observes. "If they did not leave a message then it might be difficult. But some people love to gossip. It not hopeless."

Argo
2015-01-08, 11:38 AM
"Let's try the simple approach first. Don't offend them, let's just ask if they knew the previous owners well. If not, we find out who we should talk to about their affairs, and if so, we follow up. It isn't hard. Observe." Lionel pushes the door open, approaches the counter, and waits for the young man to acknowledge him.

Kesnit
2015-01-08, 06:20 PM
The young man behind the counter turns to Lionel. "Can I help you with something, sir?"

Argo
2015-01-12, 09:44 AM
"Hi, hello, yes, er, well, that is--I hope so. I was wondering if, by chance, you were well-acquainted with the former owners of this establishment. The brothers Green. John and Jason. Jason's wife, Victoria. They all passed in the past few years? There is some, uh, unsettled business between them and a friend of ours who also passed recently and we'd like to get it cleared up. Do you know who it is that we could speak with about that, or who handles their affairs?"

Kesnit
2015-01-12, 07:03 PM
"Jason and Victoria's son, Michael, runs the shop now. John's widow, Nicole, got his share of the store, but I don't think she's involved in operations. I've never seen her here."

Anubis Dread
2015-01-12, 09:42 PM
Mary knew better than to ask a lot of questions. It wasn't her place. She'd let the others gather what information they could. But she couldn't just sit around and do nothing either. Being good with house work and a crack shot with a rifle wasn't going to help them work out what was going on with the Professors last request.

Deciding to mill about the shop in case anything of interest had been left behind, Mary examined the merchandise for clues.

Find Hidden: [roll0]

Argo
2015-01-13, 05:05 PM
"Perhaps you'd be so kind as to give me an address where I might find Michael?"

Calinero
2015-01-14, 01:56 PM
"It might be helpful if we could get the widow Green's information as well--it may concern her, too," Adam said with an apologetic grin. He was looking around the store, curious but not investigating overly much--it seemed unlikely the mystery to some arcane ritual would be lying out in the same storefront where dozens of people shopped every day. Still, you never knew.

[roll0]

Kesnit
2015-01-15, 08:43 PM
"Perhaps you'd be so kind as to give me an address where I might find Michael?"

"It might be helpful if we could get the widow Green's information as well--it may concern her, too," Adam said with an apologetic grin. He was looking around the store, curious but not investigating overly much--it seemed unlikely the mystery to some arcane ritual would be lying out in the same storefront where dozens of people shopped every day. Still, you never knew.

The address he gives you for Michael Green is in a moderately prosperous area of town. "I don't know where the Widow Green lives. As I said, she isn't involved in the store. Sorry."

Argo
2015-01-16, 11:34 AM
The address he gives you for Michael Green is in a moderately prosperous area of town. "I don't know where the Widow Green lives. As I said, she isn't involved in the store. Sorry."

"Thank you so much, um, uh..." Lionel looks expectantly at the worker, waiting for his name.

Kesnit
2015-01-18, 11:22 AM
"Not a problem, sir," the worker replies. "Is there anything else you need?"

Calinero
2015-01-19, 10:04 AM
Adam nods and smiles weakly at the clerk. The idea of tracing down all these people--and on such a dark subject--suddenly feels much realer to him. And much more exhausting.

"thank you, son," he says to the clerk. Turning to the others, he speaks a bit more quietly. "Michael will probably know how to contact his aunt, if we need to talk to both of them. I say we go to see him first."

Argo
2015-01-28, 12:22 PM
Adam:"I say we go to see him first."

"You'll get no argument from me. Michael's address is in another part of the city. We'd better get moving."

Calinero
2015-01-28, 12:45 PM
Adam will go along to the address.

Anubis Dread
2015-01-28, 02:29 PM
It seemed to be their main lead for now. Mary accompanies the others.

Argo
2015-02-09, 11:37 AM
So...

Did we get there?