PDA

View Full Version : Balancing Hommebrewed Races

FatJose
2007-03-30, 01:02 PM
I'm making my own campaign world. Um, I have 5 races almost finished but I'd like to hear some advice on them and how to balance them better. Their just tweeks of some classics.

Humans
Medium, 30ft Speed
+1 to Effective Skillpoint Rate (+4/1st level, +1/level after)
+1 Diplomacy,GatherInfo
AdaptiveLearner:Spend 2 points to make any cross skill into a class skill.
Bonus Feat
1 TerrainMastery(As HorizonWalker)
FavoredClass~Any

Half-Elf
Medium,30ft Speed
Low-LightVision
Free Will: +2 racial bonus on Will saves made against mind effecting spells
+2 Diplomacy,GatherInfo
+1 Listen,Spot,Search
FreeFeat: SkillFocus,Acrobatic,Negotiator,TerrainMastery(As Above)
FavoredClass~Any

Orc,Mountain (Str+4,Int-2,Cha-2)
Medium,30ft Speed
Darkvision 60ft
Weapon Familiarity: double axes
Brute Intimidation: Use Str Mod instead of Cha.
FavoredClass~Barbarian

Half-Orc (Mountain) (Str+2,Int-2,Cha-2)
Medium,30ft Speed
+2 Intimidate, +2 Sense Motive, -2 Diplomacy
FreeFeat: Toughness, Run, Athletic or Endurance. (Got this idea from a thread from this forum :smallsmile: )
FC-Any class at first level. Cant be changed afterwards

Elf ( Con-2,Int+2,Cha+2)
Medium, 30ft Speed
Low-LightVision
+2 Listen,Spot,Search (Passive)
Proficiency- Rapier, Longsword
WeaponFocus- Rapier or Longsword
+2 vs. enchantment spells
+1 Arcane Caster Level
FavoredClass~Wizard

Latronis
2007-03-30, 01:21 PM
The Orc and Elf clearly are not LA0 races

the others probably fit in

Fizban
2007-03-30, 01:27 PM
Most races get some fluffy abilities, the Orc's main ability being that it get's a +4 to an ability without having a -4 to another. The Half-Orc is balanced for normal play, but is still weaker than your other races. The elf follows the precedent in the DMG that says int and cha are weaker abilities, which is wrong. Though, in this case, since int and cha based abilities don't synergize well, and constitution is universally important, I could see it being okay. But the +1 caster level is quite right out. Drop that and you're fine for the elves.

Latronis
2007-03-30, 01:38 PM
I can accept -2 con to balance a +2 charisma or even a +2 intelligence (indeed one of my own homebrew races has a -2 con\+2 intelligence) but not both at once, with the other bits added in no other LA0 race can match them as a wizard, or even a sorc for that matter and ontop of that its a better warrior then any other races pure arcanist too boot.

However a +4 strength on a LA0 race at low levels is wrong when there's no real disadvantage to taking the orc for any non arcane caster. Throw in a -2 dex will balance it out IMO.

FatJose
2007-03-30, 01:38 PM
Today 02:27 PM
Fizban
Most races get some fluffy abilities, the Orc's main ability being that it get's a +4 to an ability without having a -4 to another. The Half-Orc is balanced for normal play, but is still weaker than your other races.

SO the Orc's okay? With Half-Orc I didnt want to go too overboard (being a Half-Orc Fanboy and all, I try to watch out and not make them uber) but I guess I didnt do enough. Maybe some slight resistance to a school of magic or stronger immune system? (I'll have to give Orcs something similar if I do that, though)

The elf follows the precedent in the DMG that says int and cha are weaker abilities, which is wrong. Though, in this case, since int and cha based abilities don't synergize well, and constitution is universally important, I could see it being okay. But the +1 caster level is quite right out. Drop that and you're fine for the elves.

It crossed my mind to make them have -2 Str instead of Con, since Elves are so frail but I thought it made them too much of a mirror version of Orcs and looked kinda lazy on my part. Maybe instead of +1 Caster Level I can give them something else that shows their natural skill with magic?

Latronis
2007-03-30, 01:46 PM
Don't change the con hit to a strength hit.

If you wanna keep both an intelligence bonus and charisma bonus, keep the con penalty and drop the caster level bonus and automatic weapon focus and it's strong but acceptable as LA0

Fizban
2007-03-30, 02:23 PM
Yes, the only reason bonuses to both int and cha are acceptable is because the con hit affects the character, moreso if they go arcane caster to use the bonuses.

I'd suggest a +2 bonus to spellcraft and knowledge arcana in place of the caster level boost, it drives the arcane caster point home with a minor mechanical effect. Spellcraft in particular is required for learning a new spell, so a spellcraft bonus means they learn new magic more easily.

Latronis
2007-03-30, 02:42 PM
Yes, the only reason bonuses to both int and cha are acceptable is because the con hit affects the character, moreso if they go arcane caster to use the bonuses.

I'd suggest a +2 bonus to spellcraft and knowledge arcana in place of the caster level boost, it drives the arcane caster point home with a minor mechanical effect. Spellcraft in particular is required for learning a new spell, so a spellcraft bonus means they learn new magic more easily.

Yes, that's the reason why i accept con as a balancing factor for intelligence moreso then strength. I'd go as far to say that +2str/-2int and conversely -2str/+2int aren't balanced alone.

An intelligence bonus and a spellcraft bonus is a bit much, with the rest and unbalanced stats. I'd recommend perhaps Knowledge(Arcana) alone instead since they are wizards moreso then sorcerers.

+2 intelligence and +2 racial bonus to 4 skills make an elf a damnsight more skillful then a human.

Either way i'd still suggest losing the automatic weapon focus, save it for paragons :P

FatJose
2007-03-31, 06:59 AM
Alright, thanks for the help. I think I'll use Knowledge(Arcana) by itself. And get rid of that WeaponFocus feat :smallbiggrin: