PDA

View Full Version : Tips for a beginner, please?

Yael
2014-12-29, 01:04 AM
My girlfriend is getting some interest in D&D 3.5e, and Vampire, the Masquerade (3rd), but I am an awfully bad teacher and instructor, so I thought you playgrounders could help me to make a list of tips to play both games. She got interest in spellcasting classes (because The Hobbit's druid, Rhadagast), such as bard, druid and sorcerer. As for vampire, she got to start playing a Toreador, but she also got attracted by Tremere. Tips like if you were talking to her? watching you, tho e.e

Arbane
2014-12-29, 01:20 AM
Well, a lot of any RPG depends on the group you're playing with. But a good piece of advice I read somewhere: Make sure your character can fight (or at least survive a fight), talk to people, and do something else useful for the group.

In D&D spellcasting classes are not the easiest to play, but Druid is relatively hard to screw up - any bad spell choices can be removed after one day. For Bard or Sorcerer, it's harder.

TheCountAlucard
2014-12-29, 01:37 AM
Is the Vampire game she's in a LARP?

Yael
2014-12-29, 02:02 AM
Is the Vampire game she's in a LARP?

LoL no. But now you mention it, it would be interesting beating someone's cucco off to represent a Nosferatu's clan weakness.

Vitruviansquid
2014-12-29, 01:53 PM
When you're new, don't worry about optimization, roleplaying well, following RAW, storytelling or whatever else us jaded veterans obsess over.

Just enjoy the experience for now.

Lost Demiurge
2014-12-29, 02:26 PM
1. Real life always takes priority over gaming.
2. Make a character that you think you'll enjoy playing.
3. If you don't enjoy playing your character in the first couple of games, ask to change.
4. If something makes you uncomfortable, let the group know.
5. Bad things happen to characters sometimes. Try to roll with it. Don't take it personally.
6. If everyone at the table's having fun, it's a good game. Try not to get in the way of other people's fun, or put your own fun above everyone else's.
7. It's just a game in the end. Relax. Don't take it too seriously.
8. The GM is there to help you guys play. He's not the enemy. If he is, he's doing it wrong and you might want to find a different game.
9. No gaming is better than bad gaming. If you don't like it, then walk away.
10. At the end of the day, you're basically sitting around with friends, contributing to building a truly awesome story. That's the goal. Winning or losing is second to that... Though winning feels a hell of a lot more awesome, usually.

Rallicus
2014-12-30, 06:29 AM
Coincidently the two games I'm running are VTM and DnD. Granted its dnd 5e because I can't stand 3.5, and V20 because I feel revised (3rd) and below are inferior.

I'd suggest switching to 5e and v20 because they're a lot more newb friendly.

Honest Tiefling
2014-12-30, 09:54 PM
1. Roleplaying is good, but learn the balance of a consistent character and one who is flexible enough to work with a group. You shouldn't have to bend over backwards for others, but you should learn to justify actions for group cohesion.

One example is a rouge type and a guard are working together. The guard obviously will have problems, but might decide that nabbing a far more dangerous criminal is a higher priority, or that he doesn't have many other allies to prevent a dangerous criminal from striking again, or intending to worry about the rogue later. The rogue however, should also compromise and decide to be a robin hood type, or to be affected by the trust of the guard and be a bit more lawfully-inclined in regards to innocents.

2. Figure out what you want and be honest with it. Don't like combat? Say so, and be honest with it. Not all games will be your cup of tea, and not all of your friends will match your style to the point of enjoying every game together.

3. Familiarize yourself with the rules. A little bit at a time is fine, just make sure you know what your character does.

4. Share the spotlight. Don't just talk to NPCs, figure out your relationship with other player characters. But let the DM have a chance to shine with a few characters as well.

5. Ask for help if you need to, but please do not take 20 minutes per combat turn.

Arbane
2014-12-31, 06:12 AM
Know how to spell "Rogue". "Rouge" is makeup.
(Sorry, Tiefling, it just bugs me...)