PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Unpredictable Armscaller (base class) WiP

Majgamer
2014-12-29, 11:50 AM
Unpredictable Armscaller

Throughout the plains, creation has been a prized occupation of sentient beings. Whether it be colossal buildings, or weapons of war, their original conception gathers in deep pools of thought. As only ideas, these pools are left undisturbed by non-ethereal beings... mostly. Rare examples of great philosophers, noble scholars, and flea-bitten hags (through years of attempts) have acquired the innate ability to reach into these pools of thought, materializing the idea itself. These conjurations (as well as their conjurations) are often brief while powerful, yet they are always unpredictable.

Role: The origins of the Unpredictable Armscaller are as varied as their practiced results. Typically, they support their party in a number of ways (from sneaking to being a glorified distraction). While their abilities make them powerful, they can often be infrequent in their tactics. This makes them as dangerous to rely on as they are to oppose.

Alignment: Any Chaotic.
Starting gold: 4d6 x 10 gp
Req: Int 12
Hit Die: d10
Skill Ranks per level: 6+Int modifer
Class skills:
Acrobatics, Bluff, Diplomacy, Climb, Craft, Intimidate, Perform, Profession, Spellcraft, Swim, Use Magic Device.Survival,Stealth,Knowledge dungeoneering,Sleight of hand

Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
Light, Medium and Heavy armor and proficiency only in called weapons.

Table 1

Level
BAB
Free
Action
Call
Fort
Save
Ref
Save
Will
Save
Special

-
-
Luck of the draw,
Gambler's blockade

-
-
Good deal

-
-
-

-
-

-

Quickened Summoing

Wise Trip

Deuces Wild

A weapon in mind

-

Still Hand

-

Split Second Defense

A Mightier Call

Call Spells

Luck of the Draw
level - Armscaller 1
Casting Time - 1 move action
Components - S
Duration - Instantaneous
Allows the user to summon a weapon at random, using a percentage die. Do this only as a move action. Projectile weapons fire projectiles which dematerialize upon either missing or hitting something (This also applies to thrown weapons). This weapon materializes before the user and lasts until sheathed, dropped or another weapon is successfully summoned. This is classified as a call ability. (Weapons list - Table 2)

Gambler’s Blockade
level - Armscaller 1
Components - S
Duration - Instantaneous
Allows the user to summon a shield at random, using a d10. Do this only as a move action. The throwing shield de-materializes upon either missing or hitting something. This shield materializes before the user and lasts until unequipped, dropped or out of the summoner’s hand. This is classified as a call ability. (Shield list - Table 3)

Horn of Plenty
level - Armscaller 17
Components - S
Duration - Instantaneous
The Unpredictable Armscaller can materialize food, projectiles and other supplies in much the same way as calling.

Passive Abilities

Eye for the Fight: At 2nd level, an Unpredictable Armscaller can learn a weapon proficiency by observing use of the weapon and making a DC 15 Int check. Learning a new weapon proficiency requires 5 minutes, these minutes need not be consecutive, but it must all be within the same day.

Good Deal: At 2nd level calling only has half arcane spell failure chance.

Quickened Summoning: At 6th level,An armscaller can now use call abilities in place of attacks on a full attack action

Wise Trip: At 7th level, the Unpredictable Armscaller’s called weapons are all treated as though the wielder has the weapon specialization feat with that specific weapon. This only applies to weapons manifested using the Armscaller’s summon.

Deuces Wild: At 8th level, an Armscaller can now choose to call a weapon in the hand otherwise taken up by a shield. With this being the case, he can now have two items from Table 1 at one time, but during this time, cannot also have an item from Table 3.

A Weapon in Mind: At 9th level, the Unpredictable Armscaller can call any weapon he has a proficiency with. The called weapon can be made of any material and is treated as masterwork quality. The material must be stated at the time of calling. This is classified as a call ability.

Still Hand: At 11th level, calls no longer require a somatic component.

Split-Second Defense: At 13th level, the Unpredictable Armscaller can call any shield he has proficiency with. The called shield can be made of any material and is treated as masterwork quality. The material must be stated at the time of calling. This is classified as a call ability.

A Mightier Call: At 20th level, an Unpredictable Armscaller can call huge weapons using their call ability and wield them as if they were medium size. They take no penalties for its use so long as the weapon is summoned by the Armscaller.

Table 2(Random Weapon Table)

1-5
Gm's Choice

Whip

Simple Stone1

Chain,Spiked

Maul

Gauntlet,Spiked

Flail

Greataxe

Fresh Cod1

Longbow, Composite2

Handaxe

Sickle

Lasso1

Kama

Arrow1

Sap

Glaive

Crossbow, Hand2

Tower Shield

Ranseur

Scythe

Scimitar

Net

Pick, Light

Clay Tankard1

Pitchfork1

Siangham

Axe, Throwing

Candle1

Shortsword

Rapier

Longbow2

Longship's anchor1

Shovel1

Alchemist Fire

Shortspear

Sword, Bastard

Battleaxe

Sleeping Gas Bomb1

Big Magnifying glass1

Javelin

Juggling Club

Hammer, Light

Dagger, Punching

Guisarme

Halberd

Shiv1

Nunchaku

Bucket1

Sling Bullet1

Longsword

Swordfish

Throwing Knife

Flail, Heavy

Sai

Crossbow,Repeating2

Shuriken

Sharpened Stick1

Warhammer

Poison Flask1

Sword, Two bladed

Longspear

Kukri

Flask of Acid1

Bolas

Blow Dart gun2

Sling2

Rat-Flail1

Club

Shortbow

Flail, Dire

Fluffy pillow1

Trident

Mace, heavy

Lance

Artisans tools1

Shortbow, composite

Greatclub

Dagger

Fishing pole1

Torch1

Mace, Light

Crossbow,Light2

Falchion

Swordbreaker Dagger

Quarterstaff

Pick, Heavy

A Femur bone1

Morningstar

Crossbow, Heavy

96-100
Roll Twice, Choose one(Crit success)

1Specifcs will be based off of GM's Discretion. All others can be found in offical Pathfinder rules
2Ranged weapons Are called as a loaded weapon
3Gm may choose Inanimate ojects outside of this list

Table 3(Random Shield Table)

Tower Shield

Throwing Shield

Heavy Steel Shield

Klar

Madu, Steel

Madu, Leather

Light Steel

Light Wooden

Buckler

Farmerbink
2014-12-29, 02:56 PM
I don't have time to read all of it, but I wanted to respond with my initial concerns: 6+int skills per level, with an int requirement (assuming thats the primary stat) with only 11 class skills? You're basically going to have all of your class skills, or very close to it, maxed. It's nearly always worth making players have choices to make, so either reducing the number to 2 or 4+ int, or give more class skills.

Just my 2c

Amechra
2014-12-29, 05:29 PM
You also have a very non-standard BAB and Reflex Save bonus. BAB shouldn't ever be greater than your level, for one.

Majgamer
2014-12-29, 10:05 PM
Alrighty, changed the BAB to pathfinder standard, Altered base saves, and added a few class skills.

nonsi
2014-12-30, 03:48 AM
1. The table is incomplete ('Special' column).
2. What are the class's weapon & armor proficiencies?
3. The description of the mechanics is incomplete (what are the class's bag of tricks looks like at 1st level?).
4. Whatever can be figured out requires the readed to go over the entire class and assemble a picture in his head. This is bad. If I read only till 1st level features, I wish to know here nand now everything this class can do at 1st level (detailed power descrifions excluded), in terms if usage frequency, action costs, durations, requirements, restrictions etc.

Majgamer
2014-12-30, 10:38 AM
1. The table is incomplete ('Special' column).
2. What are the class's weapon & armor proficiencies?
3. The description of the mechanics is incomplete (what are the class's bag of tricks looks like at 1st level?).
4. Whatever can be figured out requires the readed to go over the entire class and assemble a picture in his head. This is bad. If I read only till 1st level features, I wish to know here nand now everything this class can do at 1st level (detailed power descrifions excluded), in terms if usage frequency, action costs, durations, requirements, restrictions etc.

1. It is complete it just doesn't get that class feature until a certain level, hence the empty spaces
2. I marked things a bit clearer so hopefully it'll be easier to read in the future, but to answer, he can Use any type of armor, and he only has profecientcy in his summoned weapons(and Shields) at first level. he can gain more specific proficiency's from the "eye for the fight" class feature
3. He only has two abilities he can actively use, "The luck of the draw" and "Gambler's Blockade" all the other class features modify these abilities.
4. I'm not sure what you mean here, I modeled my descriptions off of base pathfinder classes out of the books.

nonsi
2014-12-30, 11:21 AM
1. It is complete it just doesn't get that class feature until a certain level, hence the empty spaces
2. I marked things a bit clearer so hopefully it'll be easier to read in the future, but to answer, he can Use any type of armor, and he only has profecientcy in his summoned weapons(and Shields) at first level. he can gain more specific proficiency's from the "eye for the fight" class feature
3. He only has two abilities he can actively use, "The luck of the draw" and "Gambler's Blockade" all the other class features modify these abilities.
4. I'm not sure what you mean here, I modeled my descriptions off of base pathfinder classes out of the books.

The class' table is missing a 'Special' column.
In that column:
- Level 1: Luck of the Draw, Gambler’s Blockade (are these useable at will, or a certain number of times per day/hour/minute...)
- Level 2: Eye for the Fight, Good Deal
- Level 5: Quickened Summoning
- Level 7: Wise Trip
- Level 8: Deuces Wild
- Level 9: A Weapon in Mind
- Level 11: Still Hand
- Level 13: Split-Second Defense
- Level 17: Horn of Plenty (quite pointless at such a high level, when clerics can create food & water at 5th level and 10th level parties hardly ever need to worry about supplies)
- Level 20: A Mightier Call
(make sure I didn't miss any of them)

What does "All types of armor and any summoned weapon or shield" mean?
Does this mean proficiency only in a summoned weapon or proficiency in all weapons noted in Table 2 and Table 3?

What are the class' armor proficiencies?

Quickened Summoning - It's not clear what this feature does. (and you don't get 2 attacks as sigle-classed 5th-level character. Ever)

Also, a design tip: Making a character rely heavily upon dice rolls and random results becomes tedious real quick.

Majgamer
2014-12-30, 01:58 PM
The class' table is missing a 'Special' column.
In that column:
- Level 1: Luck of the Draw, Gambler’s Blockade (are these useable at will, or a certain number of times per day/hour/minute...)
- Level 2: Eye for the Fight, Good Deal
- Level 5: Quickened Summoning
- Level 7: Wise Trip
- Level 8: Deuces Wild
- Level 9: A Weapon in Mind
- Level 11: Still Hand
- Level 13: Split-Second Defense
- Level 17: Horn of Plenty (quite pointless at such a high level, when clerics can create food & water at 5th level and 10th level parties hardly ever need to worry about supplies)
- Level 20: A Mightier Call
(make sure I didn't miss any of them)

What does "All types of armor and any summoned weapon or shield" mean?
Does this mean proficiency only in a summoned weapon or proficiency in all weapons noted in Table 2 and Table 3?

What are the class' armor proficiencies?

Quickened Summoning - It's not clear what this feature does. (and you don't get 2 attacks as sigle-classed 5th-level character. Ever)

Also, a design tip: Making a character rely heavily upon dice rolls and random results becomes tedious real quick.

Ah, thanks for clarifying, updated accordingly,moved Quickened Summoning to level 6,I'll figure out how to rephrase The quickened summon ability later, perhaps something like"An armscaller can now use call abilities in place of attacks on a full attack action"? I'd like to think the eye for the fight and a weapon in mind ability would help alleviate the randomness somewhat, I may move Weapon in mind down a level or two.