PDA

View Full Version : Future of the llinear Guild *spoilaz!*

rat_bastard
2007-03-30, 02:10 PM
Ok, I think we will see the linear guild regroup yet again as a result of this battle with a new leader: Miko!

Think about it, the Prison walls will be breached in the assault, the Linear Guild will then Escape. But Miko will track them in an effort to bring them to Justice (conveniently ignoring the fact that she is supposed to stay put.) Capture them and cross paths with the Oots before she can return them to "proper" authorities. at which point Nale will be able to talk Miko into letting the linear guild "help" her get revenge on the hated Oots, soon this will lead to a situation where Miko believes she's on the road to redemption (every brick in the road is made of 100% pure good intentions) but constantly manipulated by Nale, Sabine and possibly Thog.

any thoughts?

Teh_Jakester
2007-03-30, 02:22 PM
Well, not Thog.

Thog is too... simple.

dragonseth
2007-03-30, 02:22 PM
Could be interesting. I'd still rather see her as a blackguard though.

rat_bastard
2007-03-30, 02:24 PM
Well, not Thog.

Thog is too... simple.

Yes but Thog is an innocent, of all of the linear guild Miko is most likely to trust Thog.

Teh_Jakester
2007-03-30, 02:37 PM
Yes but Thog is an innocent, of all of the linear guild Miko is most likely to trust Thog.

Thog probably isn't evil.
Though we will find out...

The Extinguisher
2007-03-30, 02:42 PM
You mean the murderous evil half-orc who thinks "resisting arrest is fun"

Yeah, you people are aware that when a paladin falls, it doesn't mean they are now super evil and/or oblivious to everything around them.

Besides, The Giant has set up Miko as her own antagonist, and won't work with the linear guild, as they serve different literary positions (Nale and Co. The humourous inconvience villian and Miko the vengeful and destructive kind) If they worked together, they would not accentuate each others purposes, but rather dampen them.

Teh_Jakester
2007-03-30, 02:43 PM
You mean the murderous evil half-orc who thinks "resisting arrest is fun"

He only does it because Nale tells him to.

Imgran
2007-03-30, 02:47 PM
Thog's classification is Chaotic Stupid.

The Extinguisher
2007-03-30, 02:53 PM
Please, lets not turn this into another Thog's alignment thread.

Haruki-kun
2007-03-30, 02:57 PM
Mmm...... I think she won't be going after redempion, but I'm hoping she'll really jointhe linear guild.

If the LG could b made up of 6 CONSTANT members instead of 3 constant members and a bazillion substitutes for belkar's, V's, and Durkon's opposites, that would be great.

Kinda rooting for Zz'dtri to come back :)

Innis Cabal
2007-03-30, 03:00 PM
i honestly dont think miko will get with the linar guild, nor will we see the other ex-members ever again...thought that part might be wrong. Sabine will be sticking around, and when nale finds out that she has betrayed the information about the gates he wont be to happy since i am sure he wants to either A.) Give the information to daddy and get the "rescue haley's dad" rolling or B.) the more likely idea that he will try to get the power for himself

Draz74
2007-03-30, 03:00 PM
I thought this matchup was exactly what Giant was hinting wouldn't happen with the whole, "I don't think she's exactly Linear Guild material" line from Nale.

MReav
2007-03-30, 03:04 PM
I doubt Miko will join the LG. Nale himself actually mentioned that she isn't LG material.

Simply put, once Nale hears about how, despite a drop in power, being severely beaten, and chained up, caused Roy to freak out at the prospect that she had escaped, while Nale, despite having his sister hostage, 5 allies backing him up, and lots of prep time, elicited a "we'll spring the trap by walking blindly into it".

Nale's ego would never allow it.

Threeshades
2007-03-30, 04:27 PM

yup he is Roy's opposite after all and Roy is lawful stupid according to elan and belkar.

Innis Cabal
2007-03-30, 04:28 PM
sounds about right

Oxymoron
2007-03-30, 05:55 PM

So Thog is lawful now? Thog can be lead, but he will unleash at any moment.:smallcool:

Guildorn Tanaleth
2007-03-30, 06:04 PM
Think about it, the Prison walls will be breached in the assault...

I see the walls being breached by Xykon flying his dragon into them either to shake Roy off or because he looses control due to Roy. Whichever happens, Roy & Xykon will continue fighting in or around the prison (do holes in walls affect antimagic fields?), and when Miko sees the two supposed allies fighting, her head will implode.

yup he is Roy's opposite after all and Roy is lawful stupid according to elan and belkar.

Then wouldn't thog be Chaotic Genius?

Lizard Lord
2007-03-30, 06:08 PM

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0252.html
:thog: "oh little ice cream friends! thog delays boredom driven rampage only for you."

I don't think he is HAVING FUN killing the cops just because Nale told him to.

No_constraints
2007-03-30, 06:16 PM
When Miko sees the two supposed allies fighting, her head will implode.

And she realises her wrongdoing and redeems herself as a paladin! That would be totally unexpec- oh, I just expected it.

nothingclever
2007-03-30, 06:25 PM
I think Thog manipulating Miko and bringing her fully to the dark side would actually be pretty funny. She'd be able to see through to the rest of the group's intentions but when she asks Thog why he kills people he'll just say it's fun. At that point she'd snap and become a blackguard after seeing how casually he can inflict pain and suffering.

Querzis
2007-03-30, 06:36 PM

Nale is afraid of Thog and Thog is pretty much completely unpredictable. Seriously, he is killing people for fun, how can you discuss his alignement?

Anyway, I think its gonna happen even though I dont want it to happen. I love the LG but I hate Miko so obviously I dont want her to join. But even though Nale said she wasnt LG material, I know hes not gonna think that anymore after he hear what she has done and her hate for the OOTS. The LG is all about «taking desproportionate revenge over quasi-imaginated slight» after all.

NeonRonin
2007-03-30, 06:40 PM
I see the walls being breached by Xykon flying his dragon into them either to shake Roy off or because he looses control due to Roy. Whichever happens, Roy & Xykon will continue fighting in or around the prison (do holes in walls affect antimagic fields?), and when Miko sees the two supposed allies fighting, her head will implode.

I rather like this idea and have been hoping this is what happens. On the subject of the Linear Guild- yeah, Miko isn't LG material. She's too much of a lone gunman to work alongside Nale et al, especially considering that she still considers herself 'not fallen'.

Besides, I don't think Nale would hire someone who only recently broke his girlfriend's neck. :smallbiggrin:

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-03-30, 08:53 PM
I rather like this idea and have been hoping this is what happens. On the subject of the Linear Guild- yeah, Miko isn't LG material. She's too much of a lone gunman to work alongside Nale et al, especially considering that she still considers herself 'not fallen'.

Besides, I don't think Nale would hire someone who only recently broke his girlfriend's neck. :smallbiggrin:

Um, no, I have to disagree. True, Mako is a Lone Gun, but she's a Lone Gun only because no one can stand to work with her! Nale would probably be more than happy to convince her that the "Linear Guild" is just a secret way of saying "Lawful Good," and that they are secretly seeking to prevent the OotS from destroying the world. Mako is convinced already that the OotS is evil, and that she would be doing the world good by destroying them.

Nale and Sabine could probably convince Mako that Mako should become the new leader of the LG, and only offer "suggestions" on how to defeat the OotS. Like any true Paladin, Mako will accept being the leader as the natural course of events, and will travel down the path to Blackguard fully convinced she is redeeming herself for killing Lord Shojo.

Actually, that is kind of obvious, so Rich probably WON'T use that...

WOW! I never knew about this strip before a few weeks ago, and now I'm totally addicted to it!

Demented
2007-03-30, 09:06 PM
Who is this Mako?

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-03-30, 09:25 PM
Who is this Mako?

Oops! Multi-Typo! I meant Miko!

Lord
2007-03-30, 09:49 PM
Hi Lord here

Err about the whole, "Miko realizes the Error of her ways when she see's Roy and Xykon fighting" thing, I don't think it will happen, In fact I'll bet that Miko would just think that, Roy is Xykons double crossing henchman or some such.

NeonRonin
2007-03-31, 12:22 AM
Actually, I'm just interested in finding out what Miko's first reaction to feeling fear may be. With the loss of her paladin immunity to fear, what do you suppose the reaction will be if something occurs to spur that fear?

I can foresee the dragon crashing into the prison tower, sending all inside in a crumpled heap into the battle... where the LG and Miko may find themselves suddenly surrounded by hobgoblin troops who don't care who they're hacking. Even a combat veteran like Miko can't last forever against the hordes- not even if, for some reason, she and the LG form a tenuous truce for survival purposes.

They'd get overwhelmed at some point... so what would her reaction be now that her divine fear-shields are down?

This is a long shot idea, but it could happen... especially if the tower dumps them outside the wall, right into a hobbo battalion. How that would happen, I don't know...

Kreistor
2007-03-31, 01:12 AM
Miko will continue wiht the practices of her Oath, which she does not recognize as having broken. She will never travel with known evils, and the Succubu has revealed her true nature.

So no Miko with LG.

V Junior
2007-03-31, 02:51 AM

-SLAP!- DO NOT SAY THAT AGAIN!!!!!!

Actually, I think Miko will renounce her claim on her own soul, and give it to Sabine. BLACKGAURD TIME! :smalltongue: :smalleek:

(also, her hair will turn white, because youngperson+whitehair=evil)

Rumpus
2007-03-31, 02:55 AM
Actually, I'm betting the Linear Guild is already on the loose. Karnak says: the strictly lawful guards freed them when they couldn't find any record of their imprisonment. Otherwise, they would have been brought in with all the other high-level prisoners, since they weren't imprisoned for a capital crime. One more penalty for not keeping the new Lord in the loop!

And I'm pretty sure Miko will rationalize it if she sees Roy and Xykon fighting. "By the 12 gods! He has even betrayed his own evil master!"

Studoku
2007-03-31, 04:42 AM
I really don't like the idea of a system where potentially dangerous criminals can be released because of a bookeeping error. More likely, they're being held until the battle is over and order is restored and Hinjo can deal with them.

Teh_Jakester
2007-03-31, 09:45 AM
Nale is afraid of Thog and Thog is pretty much completely unpredictable. Seriously, he is killing people for fun, how can you discuss his alignement?

Okay, I'm SAYING. He only IS Evil because Nale tells him to be.
Thog LOVES Nale. If Nale became GOOD, so would THOG.
Thog probably only became Evil because Nale IS.

If he was REALLY Evil, he would have killed Elan in Cliffport.

Rumpus
2007-04-01, 12:10 AM
I really don't like the idea of a system where potentially dangerous criminals can be released because of a bookeeping error.
Happens all the time in the real world. Learn to dread these words: Faulty chain of custody. From the legal system's perspective, it wouldn't even BE an error, it would be righting an injustice. The LG aren't being held for a crime, they were imprisoned as a personal favor from Shojo. One more sample of Law trumping Good!

The Extinguisher
2007-04-01, 01:30 AM
But AC isn't the real world, which is (supposedly) a Lawful Neutral society. It's a lawful good one. They wouldn't release potentionally dangerous prisioners over a book keeping error. Most likely they will wait until after the battle and discuss it with Hinjo.

Legendary
2007-04-01, 01:30 AM
Okay, I'm SAYING. He only IS Evil because Nale tells him to be.
Thog LOVES Nale. If Nale became GOOD, so would THOG.
Thog probably only became Evil because Nale IS.

If he was REALLY Evil, he would have killed Elan in Cliffport.
A) Don't OVERCAPATALIZE your entire POST. It's REALLY annoying.
B) Um, Thog's evil is of a more demented kind. Remember the dwarven/gnomish/whatever blacksmith that Sabine impersonated? They made him Thog's puppy. Thog may have an INT of 3, but he can tell the difference between a puppy and a sentient being, regardless of what a 'friend' says. He just didn't care.
He killed a defenseless woman back in Dorukan's Dungeons, with absolutely no guilt whatsoever. Thad doesn't convince you?
He is partially responsible for 400+ deaths. Even a Neutral person would feel some guilt over that, even if they did it for a friend. He doesn't.

In the long run, Thog is evil for the same reason as Belkar: a lack of mental abilities. If Thog had any intelligence, he probably wouldn't be evil, as all he really wants is an easygoing life. But, let's face it: Stupidity is no excuse.

Kreistor
2007-04-01, 03:45 AM
Um, Thog's evil is of a more demented kind. Remember the dwarven/gnomish/whatever blacksmith that Sabine impersonated? They made him Thog's puppy. Thog may have an INT of 3, but he can tell the difference between a puppy and a sentient being, regardless of what a 'friend' says. He just didn't care.
He killed a defenseless woman back in Dorukan's Dungeons, with absolutely no guilt whatsoever. Thad doesn't convince you?

I think the word you're looking for is sociopath.

Teh_Jakester
2007-04-01, 07:41 AM

Uh, ZZ'Dtri turned the girl to stone (I bet you can say she's stoned, heh)

And I think their orders were to kill those people.

OOTS_Rules.
2007-04-01, 08:34 AM
I think that Thog has an intelligence of 2.5, and is as smart as a talking dog.

Querzis
2007-04-01, 11:45 AM
I think that Thog has an intelligence of 2.5, and is as smart as a talking dog.

Hey, dont insult talking dog. Talking dog are way smarter then Thog. Beside, animals all got an int of 2 in D&D mainly because it would be way too long to list all the animals intelligence but even a normal dog should be smarter then Thog. If its master tell him to jump of a bridge, would the dog do it? No but I'm pretty damn sure Thog would.

Jiktori
2007-04-01, 12:34 PM
Uh, ZZ'Dtri turned the girl to stone (I bet you can say she's stoned, heh)

He's refering to http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0051.html

Baalzebub
2007-04-01, 12:48 PM
I do not see her into the Linear Guild... the reason? :sabine:

She will not join with her (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0419.html)

Teh_Jakester
2007-04-01, 01:56 PM
He's refering to http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0051.html

I know. I'm just saying ZZ did one, too I think it's orders.

Legendary
2007-04-01, 02:21 PM
I was emphasizing the fact that he did it without any guilt- that he killed a good creature and didn't care. That's evil.

Rumpus
2007-04-03, 04:38 PM
But Azure City isn't the real world... It's a lawful good one.

Dunno, I'd say that the behavior of the other Azure nobles and the ninja death squads demonstrate pretty conclusively that Azure City as a whole isn't Lawful Good. The secret Azure Guard? Well, members must all be LG, but it's leadership wasn't until recently. And judging by Shojo's need to fake insanity to avoid assassination? I'd say a significant portion of the nobles are LE. This makes me wonder how Miko didn't have a nervous breakdown (or a rampage) the first time she detected evil at court. Of course, this may explain why they keep her out of the city so much.