PDA

View Full Version : Themed Parties Needed

Naanomi
2014-12-29, 12:51 PM
Plotline: An 'atlantis' style lost island has suddenly reappeared after being sunk by an Eldritch Horror that everyone assumed died with the island. People want to plunder the island of it's magic secrets, but are also afraid that the Eldritch Horror is back. Several nations have agreed to each send a 'search party' in theory to operate cooperatively in exploring the island; but everyone involved knows that all bets are off once they get there. The place will be infested with trolls and some ravenous vampire cultists of the Horror; along with incorporeal undead.

That being said, I need themed parties for each nation involved. All will be 3-5 man parties of about 11th level (give or take); some of which will work cooperatively with the PC party (who will be representing one of the nations) but many of which will be adversarial if not openly hostile during the exploration of the island.

Here are a few that I'd thought of, but any ideas of 'themed' parties would be nice to spurn things on. Much of the world is unexplored as far as my party is concerned, so people from nations they'd never heard the details of would be just fine.

Joined more as a show of strength than any desire to do anything on the island. May get bored and be hostile with other parties.
1/2 Orc Barbarian (Totem) - Pirate
Human Druid (Moon) - Hermit
Human Ranger (Beastmaster) - Outlander, with loyal hunting hound

Will make a big show of being cooperative, but will likely undermine other people's efforts in secret
Hill Dwarf Druid (Land, Underdark) - Folk Hero
Rock-Gnome Monk (Elemental) - Hermit, Earth ability focused
Drow Warlock (Old One/Book) - Sage
((May add 'beastmaster' riding a burrowing creature))

Will work towards stated goal, but will be nothing but hostile to anyone trying to work with them. The nation is old and had ongoing war with the 'Atlanteans' in the past; so know a great deal about the island
Hill-Dwarf Paladin (Oathbreaker) - Noble
1/2 Elf Bard (Valor) - Performer; cultural job to sing about the dead
High-Elf Wizard (Necromancer) Acolyte
Human Cleric (Death) Merchant

There for loot pure and simple, may stalk other parties to steal their loot in the midst of battle or while they rest
Lightfoot Halfling Rogue (Thief); Urchin
Lightfoot Halfling Monk (Shadow); Criminal
Wood-Elf Cleric (Trickster); Charlatan, archer and support

Only interested in destroying the Old One if it returned; will only deal positively with non-magical PCs
Human Cleric (Light) - Acolyte, Inquisitor
Human Fighter (Battlemaster) - Soldier, Polearm mastery/Sentinel type
Human Rogue (Assassin) - Spy - Sniper with Mageslayer; disguise skills
Human Wizard (Abjurer) - Soldier; magic has an anti-magic focus

Openly seeking lost magical knowledge, will work well with others if given access to such
High-Elf Fighter (Eldritch Knight) Gladiator
High-Elf Rogue (Arcane Trickster) Noble
High-Elf Wizard (Diviner), Sage

Likely helpful to the PC parties, doesn't really want to be here
Forest-Gnome Druid (Land, Forest) - Craftsman
Dragonborn Paladin (Ancients) - Hermit
Human Ranger (Hunter) - Outlander, Abilities focused around hunting Fae; distrustful of own party
1/2 Elf Sorcerer (Wild) - Urchin
Human Warlock (Archfey/Chain) Performer

Hoping to fight a returned Horror; likely helpful, or at least not hostile, to the party
Human Cleric (War), Knight
Human Fighter (Champion), Soldier
Human Paladin (Devotion), Knight

Selkirk
2014-12-29, 02:45 PM
i like these. they actually work really well as party concepts. something i've always had a problem with is the dragonborn/halfling/human/dwarf/tiefling party. makes no sense to me that these individuals would group together. the system almost demands thematic party building (or a large degree of homogeneity) for parties/campaigns to make logical sense.

the downside to this is that it limits player options. and further that it's pretty fun to play a tiefling...but if everyone is a tiefling then it's less fun :D. but that's a bit off topic. i really do like these and nice themes and groups. should be a cool campaign.

themaque
2014-12-29, 04:43 PM
I sometimes find limiting ones options can spur one to greater creativity, while to much freedom can cause it to flounder.

I quite enjoyed the all dwarf party we made one game. We where a mercenary adventuring company. Everyone had one level of fighter and a designated function in the group. We functioned and presented ourselves as a small military unit.

Human Paragon 3
2014-12-29, 04:58 PM
How about an oriental-adventures style party? From an island nation of asia-inspired elves?

High Elf elder Samurai (Battle Master fighter, scholar background)
High Elf younger Samurai (Barbarian) (noble background)
Wood Elf Shadow Monk (criminal background)
Eladrin Elemental Monk (acolyte background) take the Eladrin from the DMG

FadeAssassin
2014-12-29, 05:16 PM
Eladrin Elemental Monk (acolyte background) take the Eladrin from the PHB

*DMG not PHB

Celcey
2014-12-29, 05:37 PM
Question: why does the party that hates magic have two magic-users in it?

Naanomi
2014-12-29, 05:51 PM
Question: why does the party that hates magic have two magic-users in it?
Only the state is allowed to use magic, and only in the roles of inquisitor priests and virtual slave counterspell/dispel engines

Felvion
2014-12-29, 09:10 PM
Thematic parties had been my favorite part of dming back in 3.5!
One addition i could come up is a desert themed party. It doesn't have to be a nation, just some land between nations maybe. I mean i don't want to mess up your map/world!
I have some characters in mind but i'll only give you the basic idea and keep whatever you like.
They are a bandit team that lurks on this land. They set ambushes on who they feel it's worth it but they can easily be hired too.
First goes a ranger. Hunter, with obvious favored terrain. I'd pick human/half-elf for race, perhaps outlander packground.Archer sniper (sharpshooter maybe)
Champion fighter, half orc. Soldier background. Perhaps some levels of barbarian too preferably wolf or eagle totem.
He's a mercenary that finds pleasure in bloodbathing. Killing is his first priority, getting payed for it makes it even better. Intimidation, Gaming sets and bad temper are necessary. He carries the big and heavy loot or grapples those that need to be kept alive.
Land druid possibly human or half-elf. Charlatan. The party leader, the boss. He's a manipulator, with high charisma. Everyone is working for him. No one has great respect for him but they know that staying with him is going to be profitable. He never fights himself. He likes to seek their prey and chose the targets while flying in a dessert vulture form. He also provides casting support in case a fight proves tougher than expected and makes sures the dessert doesn't become a danger to the party. He could even be a drow because f#ck sunlight sensitivity. He cares for none but himself and uses the others to achieve his goals.
High elf/half elf/human female fighter, battlemaster or critfishing scimitar dualwielder champion. Performer (dancer) with some rogue multiclass (thief or assassin are both good). Oh, did i mention she's the druid's girlfriend? She's in love with him. Yeah, i needed some romance in the dessert.
Finally, you know that your imagination has failed you when you recommend to add a halfling rogue in a group of bandits! He has assassin or thief path and is used to be sent to stealthily steal from groups they cant fight on their sleep. Urchin background, he was recruited by the druid when he was still a kid. He is probably the greediest one there but doesn't show it. If it wasn't for the female treating him well (kind of like a mother) he would possibly murder everyone while, sleeping pick the gold and leave the place. Dessert is no place for him. He could be their weak spot.

Gnomes2169
2014-12-30, 03:18 AM
Wait, this thread existed for more than an hour without someone suggesting a dragon party? I am disappointed.

Envoys from a draconic tyrant who wants to claim the island and everything within it as his own (after all, none of the people from there will object to his draconic rights, now will they?) Haughty and authoritative, his representatives may be hostile and demand non-draconic characters leave the island, but likely will not come to blows over it unless a differing party forces them to or their draconic overlord comes to the island personally.
Party members:
-Variant human sorcerer (red) - Criminal (spy variant), elemental adept (fire) (Sent along to keep tabs on the party and on the other rival parties. Reports directly to the dragon weekly. Likes to blow things/ people up a lot...)
-Black dragonborn paladin (Vengeance) - Soldier (Captain) (The expedition leader, a harsh and unforgiving paladin who adheres to his oaths a little too much, and who doesn't like foreigners all too much. Volunteered to lead the expedition on the off chance that the creature was found, so that he could deliver judgement upon it.)
-Green dragonborn fighter (Eldrich knight) - Soldier (Private) (a trusted and exceedingly loyal soldier of the black dragonborn.)
-Variant human rogue (Arcane trickster) - Sage, skilled (focusses on knowing everything, investigation, stealth and such. Might also have observant and alert, depending on level. Lowest stats over all (dex/ int focus))
-Blue dragonborn warlock (fiend/ blade) - Charlatan (A favored pet of the dragon sent along to make sure the black dragonborn does not get out of hand with his oath/ to make sure the black does not fall)
-White dragonborn cleric (Death) - Soldier (Medic) (A loyal soldier who served with the paladin and is more of a friend than a subordinate. Was a healer to study anatomy for his... Experiments. Might have a small number of undead by his side to help out, might be encountered alone sometimes because of this.)

This party is a little larger than most, but only to make a point of how strongly the dragon is pushing his claim. As well, it is selected to be a brutal force to come across, and for other parties to band together to fight against/ to reveal an eldrich horror with to show how hopeless it is to fight the monster for even a good-sized adventuring party. Or perhaps to recruit once the horror has ripped a few other parties apart, since they will likely be the most powerful force on the island besides the PC's by that point. Allies of convenience and all that.