PDA

View Full Version : So, I have a somewhat insane stunt I want to pull. Can anyone help?

Metahuman1
2014-12-29, 01:08 PM
Soooo,

I'm running a sorcerer 5/Mage of the Arcane Order 3 with a monstrously high Cha score in a game that's pulling a lot of references to literature, fairy tails, mythology and the like. (We've killed on of Santa Claus's Reindeer, sunk Captain Nemo's Ship, Rescued Edger Allan's Wife Annabell Lee with the help of his dog Poe, and assisted Goldeen Locks in finding her husbands murderer while at the same time foiling a smear campaign form her business rivel Ma'dam Hood, known to those intimate with her as "Red Riding". Just to give everyone an idea of how bonkers this world can be.).

Now then, my sorcerer has a touch activated magic item that plays music, which as a running gag he's been using to play mood music in universe.

And a couple of sessions ago in a fight, I decided since I was spending so much time using Combat Panache to avoid getting hit in a fight, I'd have some fun with it as a one off thing, and I'd cast Mirrors Image, and pretidigiation, and recreate the gen 1 Power Rangers Morphing sequence, complete with theme music, while we were fighting this guy.

The DM lost it laughing so hard it took him a solid minute and a half to get on with combat and ruled that that gave the party a surprise round because the opponent was too busy being gobsmacked by this and completely baffled about what to make of it to do anything.

And one of the party Archers, who has a sentient long bow that likes to smack talk everyone, did something it never does. It shut up. For the entire fight. And then it said one sentence ("What the hell did I just watch?") and stayed that way for the entire rest of the session.

So, yeah, a great time was had by all. And a though crossed my mind. Why not make this a regular thing? In fact, let's go a step further, I've got max ranks in bluff, and massive Charisma, why not start doing this semi regularly with a disguise on to make it look like I'm not me, and convince the people were fighting (An evil magic company that is the power behind the thrown in the kingdom were in and that were part of a rebellion against.), that they have a new unrelated enemy afoot so that they'll waste time and energy looking fruitlessly for these power rangers that keep showing up and causing trouble?

And then I though, why not take it a step further? Why not make a Big, Big, BIG illusion outside of a decent sized town with organization members garrisoned there, and show some kind of giant unknown monster attacking and taking out there troops, and then illusion up the "Power Rangers" and the "Zords" to fight it off and save the town, and turn it into both a massive manpower waste for the organization, and a grand PR stunt for the rebellion, that might end in the amazing reward of walking into a tavern, and hearing stories of the exploits of the power rangers, and wanted posters for 6 emotionally unstable young people with attitude?

I know, this is totally insane and silly, but I like the idea, and I think the party and the DM will enjoy it immensely given how much they liked the first pass.

So, can the playground help me pull this off?

Mr Adventurer
2014-12-29, 05:31 PM
Check out skill tricks

KingSmitty
2014-12-29, 06:01 PM
reminds me of Ginyu force

Fallenreality
2014-12-29, 06:04 PM
If you look into astral constructs from psionics there are things you can do to actually make it a megazord! Just seal yourself inside it and pilot it like Iron Man armor or whatnot. Then enlarge the thing.

Vaarsuvio
2014-12-29, 06:05 PM
Step 1:
Major image of Tarrasque
Step 2:
Get huge Warforged (Illusion or real)
Step 3: Profit!

Darrin
2014-12-29, 07:56 PM
Why stop at just an illusion? Use Extra Spell or Wyrm Wizard to add the Wu Jen body outside body and giant size spells to your spell list. Stack up a few Craft Contingent spells to create four colossal-sized copies of yourself, maybe throw on Tenser's transformation and body of war to properly zord things up.

(I seem to recall an Iron Chef entry that did something like this with Santa Claus (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=14384481&postcount=71).)

saxavarius
2014-12-29, 08:13 PM
While hilarious it will quickly lose the fun factor if you do this often and you won't be laughing very soon as the other players just start going "not this s**t again". Take the small victory

JDL
2014-12-29, 08:22 PM
For illusions Permanent Image is your go-to spell. The cost of creating a town will be steep if you're using consumables such as scrolls, and as a 6th level spell it's unlikely you have access to this yet anyhow. A good way around the cost is if you have an 11th level druid using Summon Nature's Ally VI. The pixie on this list can use Permanent Image at no cost once per day, so summon it, have it use its ability, rinse and repeat until you have an illusory town.

Of course anyone interacting with the town can spot it's an illusion, so a Wall of Stone around the place will keep out any nosy intruders. A 9th level Cleric can take care of this for you, but I'd suggest double or quadruple thickness for safety so expect to spend a week or two of downtime working on this.

This of course doesn't actually populate the town in any way. Since I doubt you want to use undead as your townsfolk, the next best option is constructs. Animate Objects with Permanency on humanoid shaped objects (Stone to Flesh on a bunch of statues for example) would be likely the best way to go, although the cost in Exp and CL 14 requirement for the Permanency would be a little out of your range just now. Still, no reason not to plan for the future.

Metahuman1
2014-12-30, 03:54 PM
Ok, and what do I do if I just need to create a populace for a building that's empty? See, I can get a garrison in a town, and ambush them quietly under cover of night, and then just have them bound and gaged, or dead, as appropriate, and have the illusion be 3 things.

The Garrison that get's eaten (So as not to make anyone question why no bodies.).

The Monster that eats them (which can just be vaporized by the final attack so as not to raise questions about body's.).

And The Rangers + Zords.

I'm thinking this way, I can make it so no one can question it, and it makes the enemy organization look bad, so they'll have massive incentive to be going after the people they feel made them look bad. Which will leave them chasing something that doesn't exist.

I'd go for the Astral Constructs or the body outside body trick, but I don't ahve access to Psion's or a Wu-gen, and not to Wu-Gen spells ala Mage of the Arcane Order until much higher levels.

The Pixies however, we might be able to make happen.

atemu1234
2014-12-30, 04:56 PM
I do love the concept behind this.