PDA

View Full Version : Alternate background for my character

Spacehamster
2014-12-29, 01:32 PM
None of the backgrounds in the PHB really fits my char(took outlander cause I like its proficiencies but it does not fit the theme). Asked other players and DM if I could make a custom background that better fits my backstory and they were ok with that.

Backstory is half Orc orphan living by his wits in the slums that ends up mugging a dwarven paladin and gets caught but instead of punished the paladin adopts him and raises him together with his gnome bard wife. He got to tag along with his foster father on his adventures and were thought to survive in the wilds. So his proficiencies will be from both parts of his background, stealth from his time surviving in the slums and survival from his time with his foster father. Now the bonds and other things I got pretty much figured out but would love suggestions for the little perks that all backgrounds get like the find food and water perk that outlander gets for example.

Anyways any suggestions would be welcome as I'm drawing blanks atm with my brain. ;p

Spacehamster to infinity and beyond!

RealCheese
2014-12-29, 01:37 PM
How about the perk from acolyte?

MadGrady
2014-12-29, 02:10 PM
Your concept is a strange (but fun!) blend of both outlander and city kid - so you could take the outlander perk, but reflavor it to be city based instead of wilderness based.

Concept being: character grew up on the streets - therefore he/she knows how to navigate through this underclass social strata. So perhaps he still knows the lingo and signs that might be marked on walls telling him where to find certain types of info/goods.

Potential Perk: Streetwise Your character spent most of his or her childhood living on the streets and trying to just stay alive. While you may have escaped such a bleak life, the lessons you learned from it will never be forgotten. You can recognize and interpret various markings and signs used by street urchins to point the way to various destinations. You can always find a bed to sleep in (though its quality may be suspect) and you can always find at least a bowl of gruel (its quality is DEFINITELY suspect) to eat in any sizable town or city for both you and five others. You can also find a person who can point you in the direction of where to get certain bits of information you might be seeking...though often this requires some form of payment.

Edit: As a DM, I am actually tempted to also add Thieves' Cant as a language known with this background. Depending on your party makeup, might not be necessary, but I (as a DM) always like to have at least one player able to navigate a seedy underbelly of crime. Some of my best NPCs have been criminals that PCs were able to team up with. Since the perk is not as "fancy" as Outlander's granting of perfectly healthy food and water, I think Thieves' Cant is a perfectly acceptable addition - though your own DM may think otherwise.

Chadamantium
2014-12-29, 04:35 PM
I can kinda see a new background growing from this.

Ward

you have spent years travelling with a group of adventurers during that time, you were brought under the wing of one of the members and learned skills that help you get to where you are today, regardless if you followed in your mentors footsteps.

skills/tool proficiency: choose two from one of your mentor's class's skills and or tool proficiencies.

feature: Old friends: Though the group you travelled with doesn't adventure like they did in the old days. They and the people they associated with are willing to help by giving you information and/or basic supplies for your adventures. You may also receive room and board at discounted rates for you and your friends where your adventurers frequented(provided they didn't burn the place down)

might go along with your paladin mentor though I suppose you want to work your seedier upbringing into your background.

MadGrady
2014-12-29, 04:39 PM
I can kinda see a new background growing from this.

Ward

you have spent years travelling with a group of adventurers during that time, you were brought under the wing of one of the members and learned skills that help you get to where you are today, regardless if you followed in your mentors footsteps.

skills/tool proficiency: choose two from one of your mentor's class's skills and or tool proficiencies.

feature: Old friends: Though the group you travelled with doesn't adventure like they did in the old days. They and the people they associated with are willing to help by giving you information and/or basic supplies for your adventures. You may also receive room and board at discounted rates for you and your friends where your adventurers frequented(provided they didn't burn the place down)

might go along with your paladin mentor though I suppose you want to work your seedier upbringing into your background.

I really like the direction you took this.

Love the way it pulls in the proficiencies.

Another possible Background Feature would be a version of the Pirate background: You have a good/bad reputation due to association with that particular adventuring group.