PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Lord

Melcar
2014-12-29, 03:07 PM
Hey...

Im DM'ing a small campaing, set in some dark midieval times...

I want to create a melee inspired Vampire Lord. I am thinking of either going Paladin or Monk, and prefering Paladin, but I sensing that Evil paladins do not work. Im not a fan of the Black Guard but think the whole fallen from grace paladin would be cool.

DO you guys have any suggestions to what I could do. The build is level 20 everything official is a go.

Flickerdart
2014-12-29, 03:10 PM
I had a Whirling Frenzy Barbarian Vampire Lord NPC once, he was a hoot.

Check out Unearthed Arcana for alternate paladins (Tyranny and Slaughter are Evil ones that would work well).

hamishspence
2014-12-29, 04:01 PM
The Vampire Lord template:

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20021018a

is 3.0 but with a little tweaking (primarily to DR) can be updated to 3.5.

dantiesilva
2014-12-29, 04:08 PM
I built a vampire Lord once, rogue/ shadowbane inquisitor/ blackguard. Because shadow bane counts towards paladin levels my dm rulled it worked with the blackguards ability. Meaning he traded all his paladin levels into blackguard, people began calling him xantos from gargoyles.

Melcar
2014-12-29, 05:22 PM
The Vampire Lord template:

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20021018a

is 3.0 but with a little tweaking (primarily to DR) can be updated to 3.5.

How does DR 15/ silver and magic sound? The normal Vampire template has 10/ silver and magic, so giving it a 5 ekstra vould fit well I would think.?

What else needs tweeking?

hamishspence
2014-12-29, 05:28 PM
There's no Scry skill in 3.5, and the normal vampire isn't limited to Chaotic Evil but can be any evil alignment - so there's no need to mention "recovering the original creature's alignment on the Law-Chaos axis".

I might add an extra factor to DR-overcoming (DR 15/silver and magic and good, for example) - but that's me.

Melcar
2014-12-30, 04:01 AM
The Vampire Lord template lets the creature have its charisma bonus to savel like a paladin, and since my dude is a paladin of tyranny, would that mean that he would get twise his charisma bonus to saves? 1 time for the template and 1 time for class=?

Flickerdart
2014-12-30, 10:19 AM
The Vampire Lord template lets the creature have its charisma bonus to savel like a paladin, and since my dude is a paladin of tyranny, would that mean that he would get twise his charisma bonus to saves? 1 time for the template and 1 time for class=?
You could make arguments for both.

On the one hand, stacking rules clearly say that untyped bonuses stack unless they're from the same source (or a source with the same name). The vampire lord's saving throw ability has no name, and is not even an ability as such, just a note in its save entry, so it should stack with anything and everything out there.

On the other hand, it says "as the paladin ability" which could be interpreted as straight up Divine Grace, and would therefore not stack.

Personally I think 1 is more correct, and would let them stack.

Melcar
2014-12-30, 11:43 AM
You could make arguments for both.

On the one hand, stacking rules clearly say that untyped bonuses stack unless they're from the same source (or a source with the same name). The vampire lord's saving throw ability has no name, and is not even an ability as such, just a note in its save entry, so it should stack with anything and everything out there.

On the other hand, it says "as the paladin ability" which could be interpreted as straight up Divine Grace, and would therefore not stack.

Personally I think 1 is more correct, and would let them stack.

Those were my thoughts too. Thanks