PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a no Assassin class Assassin Build

prophetic_joe
2014-12-29, 04:09 PM
So I want to build an Assassin but I don't like the Assassin class if you understand my meaning. So help me out with a good build. Characters are starting level 2. Here is the info on allowed sources from the dm.

Not Allowed List:
NO Incarnum. Nothing to do with Incarnum
NO Tome of Battle. Nothing from that book.
NO Gestalt
NO Racial Paragon Levels
NO Flaws
NO Traits
The Dread Necromancer Class is NOT allowed. Normally, I have no issue with this class, however, in this setting, Dread Necromancers (at least in this part of the world) are followers of a specific set of teachings that your character (being in completely the wrong part of the world) would not know.
The Truenamer Class is NOT allowed. Truenaming Magic is NOT allowed.

On What is Allowed:

Generally speaking, if it is not on the 'not allowed' list, then assume it is allowed for this game. If it is from a Wizards of the Coast 3.5 Core book, its allowed no questions asked. If it is from a Wizards of the Coast 3.0/3.5 book that is not 'Core', just run it by me really quick (tell me what it is, and what book it is in) so I can familiarize myself with it and make sure its okay (95% chance it is, but always a possibility.

If it is from Dragon Magazine, Dungeon Magazine or any other 3rd party source, run it by me - in its entirety - and I'll get back to you. Dragon and Dungeon stuff is usually allowed in, and other third party... *shrug*. We'll see.

Homebrew - if you want to use something homebrew, run it by me. I must say it is allowed before I'll allow it.

Nightraiderx
2014-12-29, 04:16 PM
Spellthief/wizard gish with levels in Daggerspell Mage (Complete Adventurer)

There's a few metamagic feats you can apply to some necromancy spells or just add straight up death effects.

Another PRC to look into is Unseen Seer (Complete Mage)

Spelltheif is a nice base, with master spelltheif you can flavor it to steal spells and you get some sneak attack.

Teflammar Shadow Lord (Unapprochable East) has the death attack thing at higher levels.

Another prestige class that gets sneak attack and death attack with a divine base is a Black-Flame Cultist (Complete Divine) (only if you feel ok with using a fast progression class
or loosing CL)

BRC
2014-12-29, 04:18 PM
What do you mean by "An Assassin".

Do you mean "Somebody who assassinates people", because that could mean a lot of things depending on method and the type of targets you take.
An assassin could be a thug who corners people in dark alleys and beats them to death. It could be a master of disguise who pricks their targets with a poisoned needle. It could be a bard who uses Suggestion to compel a drunken nobleman to challenge a reknowned swordsman to a duel. It could be a master marksman who kills with a well-placed crossbow bolt.

What are you looking for?

Zombulian
2014-12-29, 04:19 PM
Invisible Fist Decisive Strike Martial Monk 2/Factotum 18. At least that's the pre-made assassin build I have in my head without having to think about it. Just take Font of Inspiration as many times as possible.

Rebel7284
2014-12-29, 04:20 PM
Some of the best assassin builds I have seen look something like this:

Rogue 1/Wizard 4/Unseen Seer 10/X 5

Where X is Shadowcraft Mage if you want more flexibility or Arcane Trickster if you want more sneak attack.

Unseen Seers in general make the best assassins. Knowledge is power. :)

prophetic_joe
2014-12-29, 04:33 PM
What do you mean by "An Assassin".

Do you mean "Somebody who assassinates people", because that could mean a lot of things depending on method and the type of targets you take.
An assassin could be a thug who corners people in dark alleys and beats them to death. It could be a master of disguise who pricks their targets with a poisoned needle. It could be a bard who uses Suggestion to compel a drunken nobleman to challenge a reknowned swordsman to a duel. It could be a master marksman who kills with a well-placed crossbow bolt.

What are you looking for?

I am talking Assassin's Creed, Hitman, Splinter Cell type guy. Kills you before you know you were even about to be killed type guy.

Zombulian
2014-12-29, 06:09 PM
I am talking Assassin's Creed, Hitman, Splinter Cell type guy. Kills you before you know you were even about to be killed type guy.

My build works pretty well then. Spammable Invisibility from Monk, and Decisive Strike applies to all of your attacks you take from Cunning Surge.

Ermac
2015-01-02, 06:39 PM
A level 16+ warlock that knows Eldritch Spear, Fell Flight, and Retributive Invisibility (or at least Walk Unseen). Maximize/Empower Spell-Like Ability is also very useful.

The Viscount
2015-01-03, 12:49 PM
Could you specify why you don't like the Assassin class? Would Psionic Assassin be more acceptable?

If not, Black Dog is a great assassin class for the more Assassin's Creed type targeting, where you take out targets in noncombat settings, especially with other people around.

Monk of the Long Death is the sort of mysterious exotic stranger type assassin, and doesn't even require monk.

(Un)Inspired
2015-01-03, 12:57 PM

Sounds like a wizard into unseen seer is the way to go.

Hmmm... Or what about a Druid that sneaks around as a mouse and turns into a combat monster who tears his targets apart when he corners them?

thethird
2015-01-04, 10:32 AM
Spell thief 1 / wizard 5 / Divine Oracle 3 / unseen seer 10 / prestige bard 1

Ludicrous divination caster lvl with almost no penalty to the other schools with practiced manifested.
Spontaneous divination
Master spell thief, convert stolen spells to divination
Access to some broken divination spells good for assassination
Full sneaky caster
If you want cheese substitute lvls with incantatrix and persist choose destiny

Extra Anchovies
2015-01-04, 11:48 AM
Low-op: Warlock. Probably with HFW levels, since you don't lose invoking. At-will invisibility, flight, and teleportation? Yeah, that's sneaky.

High-op: Rogue/Wizard/Unseen Seer/Arcane Trickster