PDA

View Full Version : Fight Club [SPOILERS]

Dr._Weird
2007-03-30, 03:49 PM
I just saw Fight Club and... wow. Amazing. I loved this movie.

The best part of the movie IMO were from when he woke up and "Tyler" was gone 'til the end.

I honestly don't think I've seen a better movie, though I don't generally watch very many movies.

Oh yeah, and please don't make jokes about not being allowed to talk about it. It's painfully predictable.

averagejoe
2007-03-30, 04:12 PM
I should see that movie again. I basically felt the same way about it. Plus it was funny.

"Slide."

Samiam303
2007-03-30, 04:41 PM
I've heard it really wasn't great compared to the book, but I haven't read/seen either. I should.

Dr._Weird
2007-03-30, 04:51 PM
Well, I haven't read the book, but the movie was fantastic. And if you haven't seen it you shouldn't be reading spoiler threads. *Wags finger*

ZebulonCrispi
2007-03-30, 04:59 PM
My only problem with Fight Club is that I can only really watch it twice. The first time for the big twist, and the second time to catch all the subtle nods towards it. After that, there's just really not alot left for me, you know?

ray53208
2007-03-30, 05:13 PM
as amazing as the movie really is the books is so very much better. i highly recommend that you run out immediately and acquire a copy. use the library, why give some faceless corporation more money?

Samiam303
2007-03-30, 05:17 PM
Well, I haven't read the book, but the movie was fantastic. And if you haven't seen it you shouldn't be reading spoiler threads. *Wags finger*
Don't you wag that finger at me, a friend already completely ruined the plot twist for me. :annoyed:

AmoDman
2007-03-30, 05:34 PM
My only problem with Fight Club is that I can only really watch it twice. The first time for the big twist, and the second time to catch all the subtle nods towards it. After that, there's just really not alot left for me, you know?

No, I don't. The movie is hilarious and awesome. You must not really like it that much.

Dr._Weird
2007-03-30, 05:36 PM
as amazing as the movie really is the books is so very much better. i highly recommend that you run out immediately and acquire a copy. use the library, why give some faceless corporation more money?

Much as I'd like to, it's hard to find a good english bookstore or library in Geneva, and I don't have a credit card for Amazon. Usually I buy a truckload of books when in an english-speaking place, and hope they last until the next time I find a bookstore with stuff I like.

Sisqui
2007-03-30, 07:39 PM
Great movie! When Brad Pitt decides to do an Indie movie, the movie is usually really good (Snatch). And Edward Norton is always a sure bet for a good movie.

Druid
2007-03-30, 07:56 PM
It was a great movie, though I don't think I'd want to see it a third time. I really want to read the book now
I hear that it keeps going for awhile after they blow up the credit card buildings, which I'm sure would be interesting.

Trog
2007-03-30, 09:42 PM
I have read the book and seen the movie. The movie has a better ending in my opinion.

But really if you liked the movie then read the book. And then read all of the other books by Chuck Palahniuk. My favorite writer. Diary and Survivor are particularly good as well. Lullaby too.

I am (your name here)'s atrophying literacy.

Amotis
2007-03-30, 11:53 PM
Movie had a better ending? Huh? The book one was much cooler and fitting. The ending was my only complaint with the movie. Book one made more sence and was more fitting. I think the movie threw on the half-assed ending as not to upset the people yelling about being a sexist movie, methinks. The movie wasn't about completion and romance (though the random **** at the end was gold). It was about the ideals it put forth, not some hollywood ending.

"I wanted to destroy something beautiful"

idioscosmos
2007-03-31, 01:13 AM
Chuck Palahniuk is on record as preferring the movie ending to his story.

SDF
2007-03-31, 09:06 AM
Doesn't everyone like the book better for everything?

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

There were parts of the book I enjoyed more, such as when he describes shooting up his workplace, but on the whole I enjoyed the movie a lot more. It was just well done and felt more complete.

Hunter_Rose
2007-03-31, 09:45 PM
It was about the ideals it put forth, not some hollywood ending.

In my wildest dreams I cannot imagine the ending of "Fight Club" as a Hollywood ending.

If you liked "Fight Club" then you should check out the other films that Fincher shot.

"The Game"
"Seven" (highest recommmendation)
"9 mm"
"Panic Room" (lowest recommendation)
"Zodiac"

The interesting thing about "Zodiac" was that I think it's the only Fincher film that has a number a scene that contain sunlight and nice weather.

Dr._Weird
2007-04-01, 07:20 AM
Didn't he direct Alien 3 too?

averagejoe
2007-04-01, 01:08 PM
Didn't he direct Alien 3 too?

If he did, there are only a few people who want to remember it.

Seriously. Most of the characters die before the film even starts.

anphorus
2007-04-02, 09:31 AM
Why did they kill off the little girl in the beginning? That was the entire reason why Ripley went back to fight the Queen Alien. Way to render the second half of Aliens pointless ya clown!

But Fight Club. Very cool movie, I had the secret ending semi-spoiled, because while I knew that there was something about Tyler I didn't know what it was exactly. Brilliant movie.

JoeHills
2007-04-02, 01:08 PM
I believe Fight Club will be remembered as one of the "Great Novels" of the 1990's. Even though it seems silly now, the story captured the feel of the post-german reunification pre-dot-com-burst era better than anything else out there.
The Zen-Buddhist themes of the novel, and to a lesser extent of the movie, are also fodder for future literary analysis.

BrokenButterfly
2007-04-02, 07:27 PM
Fantastic film, I love every bit of it, Brad Pitt's performance is stunning.

First time I saw this it was half-way through, but I stuck with it and was blown away. Haven't read the book though.

averagejoe
2007-04-03, 01:40 AM
I believe Fight Club will be remembered as one of the "Great Novels" of the 1990's. Even though it seems silly now, the story captured the feel of the post-german reunification pre-dot-com-burst era better than anything else out there.
The Zen-Buddhist themes of the novel, and to a lesser extent of the movie, are also fodder for future literary analysis.

Your mom captured the feel of the post-german reunification pre-dot-com-burst era better than anything else out there.

Daze
2007-04-03, 09:37 PM
Your mom captured the feel of the post-german reunification pre-dot-com-burst era better than anything else out there.

oh geez :P you just made laugh real loud at work.. gee thanks! *hides from boss*

seriously though.. Chuck Palahniuk is a great american writer. invisible monsters was a heckuva story too. I enjoyed both the book and film verisons of fight club, each had their points. But as far as most film adaptations go, I'd say they did a good job... the ending was different sure, but it wasn't a bad ending by any means... Ed Norton, Brad pitt and Helena Bonham were excellent too throughout..

*2 cents.. cha-ching*

Theodora
2007-04-04, 06:53 AM
Great movie! When Brad Pitt decides to do an Indie movie, the movie is usually really good (Snatch). And Edward Norton is always a sure bet for a good movie. I completely agree with you. And Edward Norton is a really good actor, he can manage to play really difficult roles. (Exeption: The Illusionist)

slipnslide
2007-04-04, 10:30 AM
one of my favorite movies -- ever. great book too.

Sisqui
2007-04-04, 08:06 PM
I completely agree with you. And Edward Norton is a really good actor, he can manage to play really difficult roles. (Exeption: The Illusionist)
Sad, but true. I just saw it this weekend and I was less than impressed :smallfrown: