PDA

View Full Version : help a dm

jlousivy
2007-03-30, 03:55 PM
ok, so in my pbp game one of my players plans is to have someone stand on each other's shoulders to reach a painting to bring it down, now what type of checks would you say they have to do?
(for a 2, or 3 person 'ladder')

Zincorium
2007-03-30, 04:09 PM
Strength for the people below, balance for the people above, so the middle person in a three person ladder would have to make both.

Yeah, the +2 bonus for someone assisting could prove really useful, since unless you've got both very strong and very skilled Pcs, it's going to be about as difficult as it is in real life.

Drider
2007-03-30, 04:11 PM
climb for the person going up the "ladder" DC 25-30
I guess balance check(with str bonus instead of dex) for the people making the ladder DC 1 for every 20 pounds the "climber" weighs

Lemur
2007-03-30, 04:13 PM
Balance, DC 15 for the person on top, 20 for the third person. Decrease the DC by 5 if they have something to lean against, like a wall. Maybe the third person up would have to make a climb check as well, to get up.

The person on the bottom probably doesn't need a check. Make sure that the supporting characters have the strength to hold the weight of people standing on them. If the weight is less or equal to their max carrying capacity, they can hold with no problem. If the weight is up to twice their max load, they can still do it, but you may want to have them make a DC 15 balance check. They shouldn't be able to support over twice their max load.

Muz
2007-03-30, 04:18 PM
INT check for the PCs in general to realize that doing that sort of thing works much better if the person at the top is lifted by the others, person 2 gets under him and is lifted by the rest, etc.
...Speaking from real-life experience where we had to get a tire off of a 15' pole that it'd been dropped around. :smallsmile:

blacksabre
2007-03-30, 04:19 PM
Three person ladder..A bottom, B Middle, C top
B climbs on A

B Makes Climbing Check DC17
A makes Str Check DC17
B makes Dex check 17 to stay balanced

C Climbs on A, climb check DC17
A makes STR check DC 19

C Climbs up B, climb check DC17
A makes STR check DC21,
B makes STR check DC17

C makes Dex Check to perform any action on top

Skill points in Acrobatics helps alot

jlousivy
2007-03-30, 04:19 PM
Awesome thanks i think i'll use these DCs, be funny since they're 2nd level :-)
and they have a wall to lean on so it'll help