PDA

View Full Version : Determining Full Attack potential

Ninane
2014-12-29, 06:21 PM
There are some finer points of 3.5 I still don't get. I know that looking on the stats for those classes it's denoted by +x/+x, but how does it work when your BAB progression comes from multiple sources?

ComaVision
2014-12-29, 06:24 PM
Whenever you pass a multiple of 5 you get a reiterative attack. BaB 6, 11, and 16.

So a Barbarian 3/Fighter 3 would have BaB 6/1.

Rogue 5/Wizard 1 would have have 3.

ExLibrisMortis
2014-12-29, 06:34 PM
A common variant rule is to use fractional base attack bonuses, because multiclassing is common, and people don't want to punish it too much. For example, a rogue 1/scout 1/factotum 1/ninja 1 (because first levels rock?) would normally have exactly +0 base attack bonus, unless you allow that a level 1 rogue actually has 3/4 base attack, and that that stacks with the 3/4 from scout, factotum and ninja to get +3 total. The same applies to base save bonuses; without fractional saves, you'd have +0 fort/will and +8 reflex (because of the +2 bump on good saves), or +2 if you don't count the bumps more than once. With fractional saves, you have +1 1/3 (rounds to +1) fort/will and +4 reflex, which is more sensible (and equal to a single-class rogue 4).

ComaVision's rogue 5/wizard 1 would have 15/4 + 2/4 for a total of 17/4, which rounds to 4.
(15/4 being 5 * 3/4, 2/4 being a wizard's half base attack bonus)

oxybe
2014-12-29, 06:35 PM
If you look at any class, like the barbarian (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/barbarian.htm),you'll notice that once you hit a BAB of 6, you gain an extra attack.

This concept carries over if you multiclass (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/multiclass.htm). A rogue 4/fighter 4 has a total BAB of +7. This grants him a second attack at +2, whereas a rogue4/fighter2 has a BAB of +5 and as such, only one attack.

eggynack
2014-12-30, 02:35 AM
The same applies to base save bonuses; without fractional saves, you'd have +0 fort/will and +8 reflex (because of the +2 bump on good saves), or +2 if you don't count the bumps more than once. With fractional saves, you have +1 1/3 (rounds to +1) fort/will and +4 reflex, which is more sensible (and equal to a single-class rogue 4).
Untrue. Both the non-fractional and fractional versions of the save rules feature bumps on the first level by the rules. In fact, the fractional version features a +2.5 bump instead of a +2 bump, meaning the effect is actually increased. Thus, this character would have a +10 to reflex saves using the fractional save rules. The low saves wouldn't be so horrible, however, which is the primary benefit of the variant.

ExLibrisMortis
2014-12-30, 10:27 AM
Untrue. Both the non-fractional and fractional versions of the save rules feature bumps on the first level by the rules. In fact, the fractional version features a +2.5 bump instead of a +2 bump, meaning the effect is actually increased. Thus, this character would have a +10 to reflex saves using the fractional save rules. The low saves wouldn't be so horrible, however, which is the primary benefit of the variant.
Ah, you're right, it say so right in the UA example. I guess that's something I considered obvious to house-rule away. I don't like to increase the difference between good and bad saves (not to mention the benefits of dipping) that much - getting the bump once is good enough. Nitpick: the effect of the +2 bump isn't increased (it's still +2, the extra +0.5 is as normal for fractional bonuses, can't count that increase twice).

eggynack
2014-12-30, 10:53 AM
Nitpick: the effect of the +2 bump isn't increased (it's still +2, the extra +0.5 is as normal for fractional bonuses, can't count that increase twice).
I don't really see how you figure. Regardless of source, that extra +.5 is still a part of the save boost on that first level dip which is not a part of said boost on said dip under the standard rules. It's an effect that disappears if you take a second level in a single class, but it's an effect nonetheless.

ExLibrisMortis
2014-12-30, 11:03 AM
I don't really see how you figure. Regardless of source, that extra +.5 is still a part of the save boost on that first level dip which is not a part of said boost on said dip under the standard rules. It's an effect that disappears if you take a second level in a single class, but it's an effect nonetheless.
Well, put it this way: the size of the bump isn't affected by the fractional system. You get more total save bonus at a first level, due to the +0.5. The bump, that is, the difference between a normal level and a first level, is still 2 (and not 2.5). As I said, it's only a nitpick :smalltongue:.