PDA

View Full Version : polymorph question

True believer
2014-12-29, 07:56 PM
Dear members

In polymorphs description mentions that the caster gains all the special attacks of the monster but not any spellike abilities. What about the monsters that have spellike abilities or spells for special attacks ??????

for example Leonal:

Special Attacks: Roar, pounce, improved grab, rake 1d6+8, spell-like abilities

Does the caster gains that spell like abilities ???? Me and my DM have a little disagreement on that. Any opinions?

saxavarius
2014-12-29, 08:08 PM
The spell specifically says that you do not gain any SLAs from polymorph; shapechange does allow you to gain the SLAs.

JDL
2014-12-29, 08:53 PM
From the Polymorph Special Ability in the SRD:

Polymorphed creatures gain the Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution of their new forms, as well as size, extraordinary special attacks, movement capabilities (to a maximum of 120 feet for flying and 60 for nonflying movement), natural armor bonus, natural weapons, racial skill bonuses, and other gross physical qualities such as appearance and number of limbs.

From the Polymorph spell description:

The subject gains the Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores of the new form but retains its own Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. It also gains all extraordinary special attacks possessed by the form but does not gain the extraordinary special qualities possessed by the new form or any supernatural or spell-like abilities.

Therefore if you were to Polymorph into a Leonal you would gain the following:

- Type changes to Outsider (Note that to accomplish this, your type must also be an Outsider. If your base character is a Humanoid, Polymorph does not allow you to become an Outsider. You must also have at least 12 Hit Dice)
- Size changes to Medium
- Speed changes to 60 ft.
- AC changes to 27 (+3 Dex, +14 natural)
- You gain the Leonal's claw attacks
- You gain the Leonal's Pounce, Improved Grab and Rake attacks
- You gain the Leonal's Strength, Dexterity and Constitution scores. This does not affect your hit points but does affect your bonuses for Fortitude and Reflex saves
- You gain the racial skill bonuses of the Leonal to Balance, Hide and Move Silently

You do not gain the following:

- The Leonal's Roar, Lay on Hands, Protective Aura, Speak with Animals or Spell-Like Abilities. These are (Su) or (Sp) abilities. Polymorph only grants (Ex) abilities, and even then only those belonging to Special Attacks, not Special Qualities.

Urpriest
2014-12-30, 02:53 PM
Dear members

In polymorphs description mentions that the caster gains all the special attacks of the monster but not any spellike abilities. What about the monsters that have spellike abilities or spells for special attacks ??????

for example Leonal:

Special Attacks: Roar, pounce, improved grab, rake 1d6+8, spell-like abilities

Does the caster gains that spell like abilities ???? Me and my DM have a little disagreement on that. Any opinions?

No, it doesn't. It says the caster gains all the extraordinary special attacks of the monster. If you know what extraordinary special abilities are, you know that there is no overlap between them and spell-like abilities. If you don't know that, then you need to learn that before you use a spell that interacts with monster statblocks like Polymorph. I recommend reading my Monster Handbook, link in sig.