PDA

View Full Version : Magic Items in the Caves of Chaos

Chambers
2014-12-29, 10:41 PM
I'm running the original Keep on the Borderlands adventure (not the Next Playtest version) with my 5e group. There's quite a few magic items scattered throughout the Caves of Chaos and I decided to share what magical treasure the group has found. We started the game when there was only the PHB and MM, so we didn't really have any solid rules on how magic items would work in 5e aside from knowing that +1 Weapons/Armor weren't a common thing.

I've stuck to the original adventure in terms of loot, so the party has amassed a fairly sizable heap of coins, art objects, etc, along with some magic items. I haven't done a complete tally of their coins, but off hand I'd say they've found around 5,000 to 6,000gp worth of coins, and half again that number in the value of art and other valuables. Some of it has been used to procure favors back at the Keep, while the majority of it is in their more or less secure camp, a half-days ride from the Caves where they leave their mules, wagons, hirelings and attendants. They're 4th level, by they way.

My only firm rule about handing out the magic items has been: No +'s. A lot of the magic weapons and armor found in the Caves are simply things like +1 mail, dwarf-sized, or +1 greataxe. That's boring and 5e doesn't need weapons and armor with pluses anyway, so I've made each +X magic item into something else. So far the players are really enjoying the change from 4e to 5e overall, and the change in magic items specifically.

What kind of magic items have you gotten/given in your games so far?

---

Holly Charm. A bit of holly that stays fresh and when worn on the lapel, the wearer always knows which way is north.

This was a trinket that they found in the Caves. As I recall it wasn't part of the treasure for that cave, I just rolled on the Trinket table as an experiment. The party gave it to the Elf Rogue, who happened to have the Cartographer profession.

Key of Shadows (requires attunement). A simple brass key. When placed in a key hole the bearer may channel part of his life force into the key (spend a Hit Die). The key then changes shape to fit the lock.

This was the first real magic item they got (Holly Charm was before it). Realizing afterwords I had just given them a skeleton key, it hasn't been an issue. I think they've used it twice, as they're still low level and don't have a lot of spare Hit Dice to spend on it.

Restful Plate (requires attunement). A clean and well-maintained suit of platemail that resizes to fit the wearer. Whenever the wearer spends a Hit Die to heal, they may roll the die twice and take either result.

This was originally a suit of +1 Plate. The Dwarf Fighter/Barbarian now wears it.

Staff of Healing (requires attunement). This sturdy staff is carved from oak and painted white and blue. A bearer capable of casting spells may prepare the spells Cure Wounds, Healing Word, and Prayer of Healing, in addition to their normal allotment of prepared spells.

They found a Staff of Healing in the Caves and I didn't know how 5e was going to handle charged items like Staffs, so I went with the above. As it happens, our Dwarven Cleric has the Life domain so the staff is useless for him, but it's great for the Human Wizard in the party, who now wields the staff.

Heart of Hruggek (requires attunement, Cursed). This battered greataxe has the gruesome face of a screaming bugbear carved into the side of the axe. The handle thrums with a slow but steady heartbeat. The bearer has advantage on saving throws against being charmed, frightened, paralyzed, poisoned, stunned, or put to sleep. In exchange for this protection, the bearer must use the Heart of Hruggek to kill a sentient creature at least once every 7 days. If 8 days pass without the axe killing then the bearer suffers 1 level of exhaustion that cannot be removed until he kills with the axe. Each day after that he suffers another level of exhaustion until he gains the 6th level of exhaustion and dies at sunset on the 13th day.

This was originally a +1 Greataxe, and the Dwarf Fighter/Barbarian picked it up. It counts a magic weapon and the advantage on saves has been very useful. While they're in the caves the Curse hasn't been an issue but once they leave they'll need to figure out how to deal with the curse (basically whether to keep the greataxe and manage the curse or get rid of it).

Crown of the Skeleton King (requires attunement, Cursed). This gold crown is aged and worn where it touches the head and yet it's simple design inspires both fear and greed. The Crown is the focus for a powerful necromantic ritual and has absorbed enough unholy energy to awaken to rude sentience and power itself. The bearer may attempt to command any undead creature she sees, bending their will to her own. The Crown's power seeps through to the bearer, allowing her to see through shadows as a taste of greater power to come.

When someone attempts to attune with the Crown they must make a Charisma save. A success means they reject the Crowns influence on their mind and do not attune with it. A failure means that the Crown takes hold within the persons mind; they successfully attune with the Crown and their alignment changes to Evil.

So, this happened. The party fought some skeletons and of course the Elf Rogue wants to steal the Crown off the boss skeleton. When he steals it and tries to run away I began a contest of wills between the Rogue and the Skeleton King. The SK wanted his Crown back, but the Rogue proved mentally stronger and broke the bond between the Skeleton King and the Crown. He then promptly put the Crown on his head and failed his Charisma save. It'll be interesting to see how this one plays out.

Dalebert
2014-12-30, 02:18 AM
That's funny. We're being run through the same adventure and faced the same problem. Our DM gave us several +1 weapons, which are much nicer in 5e but still not terribly uncommon so it's not game-breaking. Fortunately the DMG came out just after the game when we found a wand but hadn't identified it yet and he replaced it with a 5e wand.

Holly Charm. A bit of holly that stays fresh and when worn on the lapel, the wearer always knows which way is north.

I recommend it also double as a druid spell focus.

Key of Shadows (requires attunement). A simple brass key. When placed in a key hole the bearer may channel part of his life force into the key (spend a Hit Die). The key then changes shape to fit the lock.

Cool!

Wow, two cursed items that close together? Okay.

Celcey
2014-12-30, 06:34 PM
These are great- I love your ideas!

Baptor
2014-12-31, 11:19 PM
My only firm rule about handing out the magic items has been: No +'s.

Interesting. As DM for my group, I am still undecided on "+s." Are you refusing to use them simply because they are "boring" or because you feel they are "broken?"

What kind of magic items have you gotten/given in your games so far

Shadowgift
This shortsword is made of shadowglass, a rare substance found only in the shadowfel. Sometimes it appears to "leak" shadowy energy.
This weapon counts as magical. Whenever it comes within 100ft of a portal to the Shadowfell, it becomes cold to the touch. The intensity of the chill helps the wielder locate the portal. Shadowgift also acts as a portal key to the Shadowfell and can be used to open such portals when discovered.

Vampire's Fang
This greatsword is made of silver and encrusted with blood-red rubies. It is so sharp it seems you may be cut just looking at it.
This weapon is cursed. Once attuned to a creature the attunement cannot be ended short of a remove curse spell.
This weapon is magical. Whenever you score a critical hit, you are healed for an amount equal to the damage you deal.
Living creatures cannot be knocked out by this weapon. Any creature reduced to 0hp by this weapon instantly dies.
Secret: Any living creature slain by this weapon rises as a vampire spawn within 1d4 days. The wielder has no control or influence over these spawn.

Fey Compass
This small stone disk is covered in fey runes and has a clear crystal in the center. A rune on the disk is always white, pointing to the nearest Fey Crossroads entrance. As one gets closer, more of the runes turn white. When all the runes are white, the Crossroads entrance is but a few paces away. Pressing the crystal reveals the entrance and allows you to enter.

Staff of Potency
This staff has a shaft that is straight and smooth and capped by a smoldering crystal. It holds 10 charges. At dawn, the staff recovers 1d6+4 charges. It can be used to cast the following spells: shield 1 charge, magic missile 1 charge, ray of enfeeblement 2 charges, fireball 3 charges lightning bolt 3 charges, cone of cold 5 charges, hold monster 5 charges.
The user can spend extra charges to enhance the effect of spells listed that can benefit from them. (For example, you can use 3 charges to cast a magic missile from the staff that deals 5d4+5.)
(This staff was created to be a mid level balanced version of the staff of power)

Alternate22
2015-01-01, 10:08 PM
I recently got the DMG and have made a few magic items for my D&D 5e party. Like you, I wanted to avoid basic +1 items (though I did give them a few). Some notable things:

ARSAUR'S SWORD:
RARE ARTIFACT (SWORD) (REQUIRES ATTUNEMENT)
Created - Fiend; The item is made of black iron or horn inscribed with runes, and any cloth or leather components are crafted from the hide of fiends. It is warm to the touch and features leering faces and vile runes engraved on it's surface. Celestials find the items' presence repulsive.
History - Sinister: This item is linked to the assassination of the priest of Tempus, Thamael. Celestials that see it will treat the item's owner with suspicion as it has fed on the blood of a priest.
Minor Property - Wicked: When the bearer is presented with an oppurtunity to act in a selfish or malevolent way, the item heightens the bearer's urge to do so.
Quirk - Hungry: This item's magical properties function only if fresh blood from a humanoid has been applied to it within the past 24 hours. It needs only a drop to activate.
Minor Beneficial Property: Gain resistance to Necrotic damage while attuned
Minor Beneficial Property: While attuned to the artifact , you can use an action to cast Bestow Curse from it. After you cast the spell, roll a d6. On a roll of 1-5, you can 't cast it again until the next dawn.
Major Beneficial Property: One of your ability scores goes up by 2.
Major Detrimental Property: When you become attuned to the artifact, you gain a form of long-term madness (roll on the provided table). This madness remains till you are no longer attuned to the artifact.
Minor Detrimental Property: While attuned to the artifact, all holy water within 10 feet of you is destroyed .
Major Detrimental property: The hunt [REDACTED 96-00]

COLDHAVEN BANNER
VERY RARE ARTIFACT (MAGICAL BANNER) (REQUIRES ATTUNEMENT)
Created - Human: The banner was created by Estav, a human tailor to hold the stories of Coldhaven and its many people. It is written in gold lettering, while the banner seems to repair itself over time.
History - Ornament: The banner is created to honor the town and it's many memories. It is inset with gold thread, platinum inlays and engravings lined with silver. A valuable staff that seems to mend itself from damage but is clearly something worth stealing.
Minor Property - War Leader: The bearer can use an action to cause his or her voice to carry clearly for up to 300 feet until the end of the bearer's next turn.
Minor Property - unbreakable: The banner cannot be broken by traditional means. The cloth repairs itself and the staff mends any damage to it.
Quirk - Metamorphic: The banner seems to be recording the stories and adventures of it's bearer, narrating it out to join the story of the town itself.
ARTIFACT WEAPON - This banner can be wielded in one hand as an improvised weapon. It uses strength modifiers for attack / damage rolls.
PRE-REQUISITES - Only those with the Standard Bearer background may wield or attune to this artifact.
INSPIRING PRESENCE - Once per round, as a standard action the Banner-bearer may use the banner to inspire his or her colleagues. Inspiration can come in one of the following ways:

* All allies within 20 feet that are dying automatically stabilize. This can be done once a day.
* Roll a 1D4. Up to 3 allies within 10 feet gains that number to their next attack roll.
* Till your next turn, allies are immune to accidental friendly fire and automatically pass saving throws from allied sources.
* Allies within 15 feet gain an advantage on wisdom and intelligence based saving throws.
* Allies within 15 feet gain your level in hit points.

The total number of times you can use an inspiring presence in a day is equal to your current level.

PASSIVE ABILITIES -
As a reaction, you may save one ally that has reached negative hit points equal to their constitution OR has failed 3 death saving throws in a row. They immediately stabilize at 0 hit points but cannot be revived for D3 rounds. You may only do this once per session and must forfeit using any inspiring presence for the rest of the battle.

EARTH SHAKER HAMMER:
MAGICAL WEAPON, RARE (HAMMER) (REQUIRES ATTUNEMENT)
Created - Dwarf: Dwarf. The item is durable and has Dwarven runes worked into its design. It might be associated with a clan that wo uld like to see it returned to their ancestral halls.
History - Bane (Giants): This item was created by the foes of a particular culture or kind of creature. If the culture or creatures are still around, they might recognize the item and single out the bearer as an enemy.
Minor Property - Delver: While underground , the bearer of this item always knows the item's depth below the surface and the direction to the nearest staircase, ramp, or other path leading upward.
Quirk - Confident: The item helps its bearer feel selfassured.
Damage: 1D10 + Strength
Special Property: Instead of making a regular attack, target a square that does not have a creature in it. Slam the hammer into the ground. If you pass a DC 15 strength check, all creatures within 15 feet of the square except you must make a DC 15 dexterity check or be knocked prone. When underground if you passed the strength check by 5 or more, all creatures within 15 feet take an additional 1D10 of damage as a minor cave-in is created.

There's a few more, including a minotaur's reckless axe - basically if you use it you can become reckless (gain advantage vs everyone, but everyone gains advantage vs you in attack rolls).

I also had a Cloak of Hide Scent which basically removes all scent trails that are created by a person as they move. So far that's all the magical items I've made - I have to make a couple more for hte rogue in the party and will post them when it is done.